Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Job on the K 100 Steve! :clap:
I have no doubt you will eventually get it running. That cleaned up real good. I would be half scared to even start on a project like that. Just shows what a little, or a lot, of elbow grease and patience will do.
:cheers:
Gregg,

Thanks, Gregg! These saws, pretty much in the Poulan tradition, don't seem to me to be that difficult to work on. I learned a lot. Have a few more sand cast saws to try and resurrect now.

@67 Mustang

Awesome saw. :clap::clap:

Thanks, hqv, and welcome to the site.

Is that the original color of that K100 ?

calvin

Yeah, Calvin, that's the only color K100 I've ever seen.

Keep looking, Dean.

Great job Steve as I've said before you are the clean up man to envy. I don't know if they will work but my 71A, 33s and 81 all run and if the coil on any of um will work on the K100 you are more than welcome to swipe one next weekend and give um a try. I want to hear that thing go. :clap::clap: You are the Man.
Joe

Here's the K100 back together:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Still don't have any fire on this saw. Looks like the ignition coil is toast.
Does your coil have a high voltage burnt ozone smell ? Do the primary and secondary windings have continuity ? Are the windings isolated from the iron core laminations ? Did you bake the moisture out of the magneto/coil ?

The add is in Louisville (SP) KY, and says Craftsman on it, I havent ever seen one of them badged as a Craftsman- But figured I would give the Poulan gurus the heads up

Interesting! I was gonna say it looked more craftsman red then Dayton orange. I thought at that time in the late '70s Craftsman was using Ropers. Id scoop it up.

I'm right here and would be happy to pick that one up for someone if they bought it.
I'm trying to thin the herd right now and don't really need it!

Mike

Red chainsaws are always good.
I fired up one of the 3400s today, just to see if it would, first pull. Hmmmm I picked up my best 10-10, I ran and tuned it last week, it had brand new fuel, 2 pulls for the first pop, 2 more gave me 3 seconds of loud noise and 2 more before it stayed lit, well, after a fashion. The Blue XL12, 2 pulls, settled to an idle.

yes but some uf us just don't have any 5200's...

perhaps the Pioneer Poulans are what gave them the bad rep....:dizzy:

They didn't have a bad rep until Husqvarna bought them to use like prostitutes!!!
Husky took all of Poulan's R&D and slapped the Poulan name on their junk line of homeowner saws to keep the Husky name from being dragged through the mud and being looked upon like the Poulan name is now!

Mike

yes but some uf us just don't have any 5200's...

perhaps the Pioneer Poulans are what gave them the bad rep....:dizzy:

No don't take me wrong, I just cannot warm up to that size that your talking about. Nothing wrong with them, just don't fit with what I need to do.

You dont need a 5200, you got a 4200 that I would put up against that 455 anyday.

Removing carb 245A

Your are correct, on the flywheel side carb bolt being the stinker. There not much of a challange for me anymore though.

OK. I have the bolts out; without too much trouble. I have also backed the L & H adjustment screws all the way out, but he carb is still very much attached. Before I start reaming on this thing too much, is there anything I am missing? Any advice?

I can't see anything else in any of the schematics I have.

Just want to check with someone who's done this before.

Thanks.

If you have the carb bolts out, the H & L screws out, the idle screw out, and the fuel line off, the only thing holding the carb on could be the gasket. Give it a few taps with a rubber mallet or a screwdriver handle and it should break loose.

First time cutting wood this year.

Went wood cutting yesterday with a friend and took 3 saws: my 25D, 245A and my Stihl 034. Since this is the Poulan thread i'll post some pictures of my Poulans. Sorry not much PPE.

Here I am giving one of my 245A's a workout. We cut bigger wood than this but no pics.:( Never mind the date.

DCFC0004ab.jpg

I thought this made for a good picture.

DCFC0006ab.jpg

Finally here I am posing with my 25D.

DCFC0014a-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back