Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interestingly enough this carb is off a 4200 which was supposed to have the un governed 168 buy I got it with the 172

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Confusing, but did you mean “with the 176”?

The HS-168 was on the 4200, no gov’r.
The HS-176 was on the 5200 with gov’r.

The governor spring & ball will vibrate/oscillate above a certain RPM, and the ball oscillations open the port to the main jet & floods the saw.

Governors keep the “non-tuner” type folks from burning up the top end if the saw is leaned out & over speeded. I leave them in as cheap insurance...if they’re working right.

At first, that brass plug in your photo looked way too short to do anything, but then realized it is a fully threaded body & you screw it all the way past flush to block off the old exit hole.

Somebody had ask me about a 380 but I forgot to write down who and where. So a heads up. Also already posted on my website.
Guy I know in NY selling some saws off. PP380 etc with pics posted in chainsaw repair group. The good 3.3 I like too.

NY

Posting up some saws. Poulan 330, poulan 380, poulan 330 with a 380 cylinder kit, poulan 365, craftsman 3.3 with case. 150 plus shipping for the 60cc saws 125 for the 330 and for a 3450 timber master has some damage around the throtle and switch. and 100 for the craftsman all prices plus shipping. All saws listed have had new lines and carb cleaning, some had new mufflers and ring

pp3800.jpg

Good job, you saved that one from the scrap pile.

So what was the final crankshaft end play that you ended up with, assuming you had to adjust the bearings inward? Metric unit of measure is fine, lol.

Did you use thin plastic sheets on each side to set it?
The bearings don't have a shoulder to stop against so you can set them

Confusing, but did you mean “with the 176”?

The HS-168 was on the 4200, no gov’r.
The HS-176 was on the 5200 with gov’r.

The governor spring & ball will vibrate/oscillate above a certain RPM, and the ball oscillations open the port to the main jet & floods the saw.

Governors keep the “non-tuner” type folks from burning up the top end if the saw is leaned out & over speeded. I leave them in as cheap insurance...if they’re working right.

At first, that brass plug in your photo looked way too short to do anything, but then realized it is a fully threaded body & you screw it all the way past flush to block off the old exit hole.
Yes I meant 176, I am aware of how they function, I was mostly drawing attention to the plug more than the governor, I've never run across an actual plug before, I'm familiar with the typical ways to plug them, but never seen the actual tillotson made plug. I'm wondering if at some point they started equipping the 4200's with 176 carbs with plugs installed.

Good job, you saved that one from the scrap pile.

So what was the final crankshaft end play that you ended up with, assuming you had to adjust the bearings inward? Metric unit of measure is fine, lol.

Did you use thin plastic sheets on each side to set it?

Hey hot shot its a beautiful saw i want more now haha. Umm ok dont be too hard on me but I never measured i played with it for ages."bolt it together dam it too loose. Tap tap tap bolt it together dam it still too loose. Then dam it too tight haha was frustrating as hell so in the end I have a tiny we bit of play just enough too feel. I didnt even measure the crank central just eyeball its fairly easy to see though it will be within half a mm is say maybe better the rod can slide too its on centre any way.

I just had a look at my muffler. Exits out the back by the looks of it. Pretty restrictive looking.

Hey Cookie , this is what my 3400 muffler measured , the two rear corner louver outlets have a 0.75 square inch open area .
The baffle has a 0.50 square inch open area .

The diffuser has a 0.88 square inch open area .

Never seen that plug myself. But good to know if they used them oem or at a shop at one time.
That's actually what I'm trying to figure out myself, every ipl I've seen doesn't list a plug, so I'm trying to find a part number to see if you can still get them

Never seen that plug myself. But good to know if they used them oem or at a shop at one time.

Divot from gasket material made with a hole punch works excellent.
0e5ef9349c983bf60277baacea4a313d.jpg

My 5400 has some kind of sealant on it and it doesn't want to come out and I'm not going to force it. It has 3 or 4 threads showing. How do you know if it is working or not, it is interesting how it works, someone was thinking very good

My 5400 has some kind of sealant on it and it doesn't want to come out and I'm not going to force it. It has 3 or 4 threads showing. How do you know if it is working or not, it is interesting how it works, someone was thinking very good
That may be a plug then because the governor has more than 3-4 threads showing.

Just a little more info on the carb governors.

The fuel feed for the governor is just under the metering lever and it leads directly to the governor well.

Attached pic of the feed hole. If you wanted, you could plug the feed hole there. The governor well is flooded and when the governor opens at the specified RPM range the fuel is open to the hole underneath the governor which leads directly into the venturi and richens up the fuel mixtures. The governor is a separate system from the regular carb fuel system If you look carefully into the venturi you will see the governor outlet hole in the venturi ring, on the governor side, about level with the choke shaft

.HS carb Governor feed.jpg

Back