Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've pulled a lot of the governors on the HS-series carbs. Pull the choke plate. I set a vice on the floor and carefully clamp the carb (with taped jaws). The choke shaft can be rotated to clear the governor with the plate removed. Use a scrench that has a fat driver. Put another driver through the handle to make a T-driver. Lean into it and the sealant will let go with the added torque.

As mentioned, I just cut a disk out of gasket stock and thread it back in. I turn a dollop of Motoseal on the threads when running it down for kicks.

Some manufactures went so far as to equip versions with additional semi-fixed high nozzles to alleviate the problem of saws being run too lean via operator adjustment - with the added governor taking care of other devastating leaks. ----> 9xx series come to mind. I have found the governor can actually mask other air leaks and hinder performance or when troubleshooting what one thinks of as erratic "carb" issues. Just tune them rich enough and make certain you have passed a pressure/vac test.

This is what I came up with do you think it will be ok to get the gov out View attachment 685873
I'd be scared to use that on a carb, one slip, don't think it would be pretty. Defiantly try a soldering iron on it to get the sealer to lossen. I've heated brake caliper mounting bracket bolts that had loctite on them, makes a big difference getting the bolts out, no fighting with it.

Steve

Dug into the green saw after work. Pulled the jug off. Chucked the gasket. Measured the bore... turns out it’s a 3700. Oh well. All looked fine. Got my plastic manifold bolted on and slammed it back together.
Got curious so I popped the jug off the orange saw and it’s a 4000 for sure. Thought about swapping top ends but decided against it. I’ll keep an eye out for a really clean 3400 or something and do it one day.

Dug into the green saw after work. Pulled the jug off. Chucked the gasket. Measured the bore... turns out it’s a 3700. Oh well. All looked fine. Got my plastic manifold bolted on and slammed it back together.
Got curious so I popped the jug off the orange saw and it’s a 4000 for sure. Thought about swapping top ends but decided against it. I’ll keep an eye out for a really clean 3400 or something and do it one day.

Is it a 3700 or 3800? 3700 and 4000 have thin rings whereas the 3800 has standard thick rings. Rings on a 3400 and 3700 are quite different. Only reason I asked was you stated you measured the bore. Looking at the rings would have immediately told you if it was a 3400 or 3700. Nothing wrong with a 3800.

The impact gun was a joke, I was hoping it would get a few more comments like, "you need another reducer", or" it will work better if you add a 2 foot extension". My bad ,
Well I've seen worst, ever see anyone tighten lug nuts on a car with a 3/4 impact wrench, not a pretty sight. Lol. That was a good joke Todd.

Steve

That kind of sucks on the 3700 but it's only 3cc behind and a great saw. I'm sure you will find a 3400 and make a runner out of it. I took 2 of my 3400 and made a 3700 and a hot ported 3800 from the other, hard to tell the difference. Had a extra 4000 cover on the 3800 now it's going on the new 4000 when I have 2 hands that work.

Latest posts

Back