Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not jealous, hate to see that stuff. When we get it, everything is slick then it all turns into ice. Not fun to drive on.

Steve

That's a funny thing how that works its fun for a while or to holiday in but not nice to live and work with it. We all envy Australia warmer weather here yet would it be very nice wearing overalls and welding in 40°c with flys crawling in your nose eyes and mouth

Yea good thought there. The bar plate blocks it off though and the old bar is the same I just copied it. I like the oil hole all the way as its easyer to clean out

Did you you end up using a carbide end mill & carbide drill bit to slot & drill that one?

I’ve found some of those bars to be rock hard, like Rockwell upper 50’s hard...

Na just standard HSS the small oil holes were ok but the adjusters were nasty and ended up hogging them out with a chin file. I just cut the slot with a grinder and the groove also. But yes had to sharpen the drill alot. I dont think it's as hard as an expensive name brand bar. It was only a freebie thrown in with a vintage oregon 3 rivet bar

That looks like a good job. I need to take some of my 16 inch and make 20 inch from them, might try one when I have 2 hands

Often wondered about welding a bar obviously it would have a soft spot on the rails over the weld but doubt it would hurt. Getting it perfectly straight will be a challenge but not impossible. If you had a tig with a pedal it would be good for getting 1 run through the rail nice n low heat then crank it through the middle and taper off again on the other side.

I agree , but if you only have scratch start tig you can use the back up method . Copper and a screwdriver. A favorite here . Weld and file . I usually just fix low spots but I would shorten one if needed .
View attachment 689707

That's a sneaky trick didn't think of stuffing a bit of copper in there much easier.

:oops:

I'd be a liar if I didnt say this 441c m-tronic didnt impress me today.
15" to 15.5" dry ash cuts and then 20" buried in dry ash by both saws. Both 70.7cc for testing. The 441 to make sure ready to go back to owner. Was taking 20 pulls to start when came in.
The reg carb 441 when first came out didnt impress me back years ago. But that was also when I ran all ported saws.
I ran my 445 which I could tell wasnt right when started and giving throttle. Time for carb kit. But no excuse it still didnt feel as good in the cuts IMHO. This is the same 445 that out cut a opened dp muffler 440 and 372 OE back in the day when all ran same chains. Is what it is. I was impressed with the stock 441C today.
Think he is really going to like the new bar set up.

p44520.jpg s441cc.jpg

[emoji22][emoji24], say it isn't so JJ.
Edit, well the Poulan was sick, imagine when it's all better, it'll whip that Stihl.
Steve

Yes the 445 wasnt running right at all, was just lacking in cut and not taking throttle. I think the 415 I was testing a few weeks ago with 24" buried would have out cut it too.
But like I said the 441c impressed me for stock.

Latest posts

Back