Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are you doing Bob and have you been playing with the new 4000
Just starting to have a little more energy. Actually took some time today to get the 4000 ready for a pressure/vacuum test. Maybe do that tomorrow. Then I can pull cylinder and clean everything up. Have to also look around my parts boxes for a rear handle assembly.

How do we know its not a 3800. I have two red Craftsman. Ones a 3700 and the other a 3800. Beats me how to tell the differance.

Good question, as the red Craftsman top ends were mixed, new in the box from Sears.

If you’ve got the muffler pulled off, the 3800 rings are standard 1/16” thick & chromed piston.

The 3700 had thin rings & a bare alum piston.

If the complete saw is for sale remotely, there’s really no way to tell w/o the seller pulling off the muffler & sending you pics.

These old saws have been around the block & may have had their top ends swapped out.

You can get the 3700 on the bay cheaper than that top end

Steve

I saw last week that Bryce had a 3800 top end from a red Craftsman on there as item #352573096989, he’s calling it a 3.7 or 3700 but it had thick rings & plated piston...buyer beware.

So since we’re on the recoil topic for now. I’ve busted the rope on my 4200 I don’t know atleast a dozen time. Now I got my length sorted out. Just wanting to make sure. I’ve covered my basis. I took a 5/32 round file and smoothed down the inside and tried to round down what I could to eliminate sharp edges. IMG_1172.jpg IMG_1173.jpg
Now in the second picture is the rope supposed to run inside of that loop I mean this 3.5 mil rope fit fine and it spoils nicely now. Now I’m just cleaning up the starter housing and putting it back together to hopefully not bust this rope again. IMG_1171.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back