Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished stumping and buck up a 22" with one of my 71cc poulans with 24". I smiled and said nope dont need no 572 or 462 yet.
grin.gif

Where I leveled it off about 26"

p445ff.jpg

Funniest thing I saw today while turning into the bank, a Stihl chainsaw in the middle of the road with autos dodging it, wasn't much left of it. Looked like a few trucks thought they could straddle it. All I saw was maybe the motor with the rear handle hanging on. Not much left of it. When I came back out, it was gone except for a few pieces. Guess someone will learn to tie a saw down or close the tailgate. If it had been an old Poulan, I may have stopped traffic and got it.

Steve

Now that I think about it, I had a close call/near miss a couple of years ago when I had the soft top up on the Blazer and one of my saws was on top of an Rubbermaid Action Packer. The saw, likely a Homelite or Poulan, slid towards the back of the truck and almost out. Yes, I learned a lesson that day without the loss of a saw. Max.

My closest call was when dad was trying to break a limb off a tree and the rope broke. Luckily the tailgate was up and the hook on the rope went through the outer half of the tailgate. My new Echo cs400 was in the bed. I'll post a picture of that tailgate tomorrow, there's a big dent on the right side of the hole when the rope broke when he was trying to pull a stump up. I was funny as H when it happened both times. Me and my brother stole that rope and threw it away.

Steve

Craftsman offered both, first the 3.7 and then the 3.8. The 3.7 was red, and most 3.8's gray and black, but I've read a few 3.8's were also red - probably using up old cases in the transition.

The only difference between the 3.7 and 3.8 seems to be what was chrome plated, the cylinder or the piston. My theory for the change is this was a cost saving move and it must be cheaper to chrome a piston than a cylinder. Also from what I've read, the 3400 always had an alum cylinder and chromed piston like the 3800/3.8
Additionally the diiference was the thin and thick ring. I have two Craftsman saws 3.7. One is thin ring and one thick ring(3.8). Both are red, so I really think you need to check the piston to see which is which.

Got the 245 running again. A few weeks ago while helping a neighbor cut up the trunk of a maple, it ran out of fuel then would not restart after the tank refill. Next day, same thing - would not start. I popped off the carb cover (pump side) and sprayed some carb cleaner in it. I did notice one of the screens was pretty gunked up. Reassemble, +gas in the tank, pull the rope a few times, and off she went.

Got the 245 running again. A few weeks ago while helping a neighbor cut up the trunk of a maple, it ran out of fuel then would not restart after the tank refill. Next day, same thing - would not start. I popped off the carb cover (pump side) and sprayed some carb cleaner in it. I did notice one of the screens was pretty gunked up. Reassemble, +gas in the tank, pull the rope a few times, and off she went.

Bobby, be careful using spray to prime your saws, next time spray mixed fuel to prime, I thought all was new? Fuel filter etc? Tank cleaned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobby, be careful using spray to prime your saws, next time spray mixed fuel to prime, I thought all was new? Fuel filter etc? Tank cleaned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That wasn't to prime it, but to clean it. And yes, clean tank, new filter. I do run a splash of carb cleaner in the fuel. I wonder if it worked better than expected and what it loosened up clogged the screen.

My brother told me today he saw that saw come off a guys truck right before it got crunched. Said the guy made two trips to get it all up.

Steve

Shows the power in a snapped rope. All you 4x4ing guys take a lesson mind you everyone on here is of age anyway but it's the 19 year lads on there 1st trip out. A good heavy D shackle through the window will end the day real quick.

So the saw never had a chance and got smoked straight away:( I lost my tool box off the back of a ute ahem sorry pickup and yea rather upset it was my grandfather's box from the 1950s but it panel beated up ok.

So I'm not going to poke fun at the poor guy we all do dumb **** don't we.

Don't know if the guy knew any better but he does now. Bro said the guy was from south of the border, unknown if legal or not but he learned a hard lesson on what happens when something isn't tied down with the gate down. On dad's tailgate, my new saw was inline with the hole, if it had been down, saw would have gotten smashed pretty good. It even knocked a dent on the other side of the gate. I think he learned a lesson on the second time it happened. So did we, get rid of the rope he was putting the hook on.

Steve

Pull the carb JJ, needle and seat looked perfect, I put some pressure on the fuel line fitting and it held pressure til I touched the needle arm. I went ahead and flushed out the carb to be sure nothing was in it. Carb was clean when I pulled it down also. I put it back on and ran it for a few minutes. I'll see if it does it again the next sunny day we have.

Steve

Back