Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ML 12 Thank you so much for your fine reply, it's the only way I can learn about the world of saws. I'm amazed at the different types of saws that are out there. I didn't know about the big chains back in the day
If I can remember tonight when im at the shop I'll take a photo of normal 3/8" chain next to some of the gear drive stuff. its pretty incredible.

A ms290 farm boss

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
My MS290 is so faded from sitting on the back of the truck for years, it’s almost all white. It’s kind of like the model 94, 30-30 of chain saws. I wouldn’t buy another one, but I wouldn’t sell this one either. While all of my other saws are on their shelves, the old 290 is sitting on top of the wood pile in the rain. It doesn’t care, just give fresh fuel and it keeps on cutting.

If I was doing it and no rim sprocket was available I would unbrase a drum sprocket and find a rim type and refit it to the drum type. Not that hard to do. I could help if needed

Wow!! You could, unbraze, braze and then center the retrofit? The concept is understood but my skill set and tool set are lacking.

Would the process be:

unbraze the original sprocket from original drum
unbraze a .325 7 tooth rim carrier (not sure what the parts called that holds the rim sprocket)
braze .325 rim sprocket carrier to original 5020 drum and it would be centered

Is there any way to help the 3700 noodle better? It really is bad. I was noodling some big logs and mostly used the husky but for some real small stuff I used the 3700 and it really does clog easily.

Is there any way to help the 3700 noodle better? It really is bad. I was noodling some big logs and mostly used the husky but for some real small stuff I used the 3700 and it really does clog easily.

You could set that little 3.7 on the bench & grab a 5200 or 5400 with the clutch cover removed, just use two fender washers to keep the bar tight....then noodle yourself away homie!

Yes you are correct. I have done a lot of noodling with my 3700, 3800, and PP 395. They do clog up when noodling. The only thing would be to cut out any obstructions on the inside of the clutch cover that could cause this. My disclaimer is I have not done this myself to find out if it helps or not. The ones with the chain brakes are even worse.

Yeah I tried that. I still ended with some giant noodles in the cover that took some persuading to remove. Mine is a non chain brake model. I'll stick to just the 372 for that work.

Fire starters. Picked up a big bottle of Poulan Pro synthetic oil today. Walmart had it on clearance for $5.00 a bottle,couldn't pass that up. Also had a 2 pack of s62 chain for 20.00, had to pass that up, at least til tomorrow.

Steve Sidwell

Latest posts

Back