Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 4000's. One is a chainbrake model and of course they run. I really don't like chain brakes, on the 4000 and such they add too much weight. I ran saws without brakes forever, never knew I needed one.
I'm like Mark. Never used a chain brake saw in my earlier years. I do have 3, 4000's, one of which was ported by Randy Evans.

Bob how much difference is there between the two 4000, ported and not ported, I'm going to port a saw sometime in the near future.
Haven’t really compared them back to back. Compression is very high at 175. Randy said the thing holding the saw back is the carb. Needs a bigger carb. Unfortunately a bigger carb would require an impulse nipple on the cylinder. I’m uneasy about doing that.

Last week on flebay there was a new 3700 piston kit and a 4000 piston kit for 36.99 each and free shipping. I saw it at 130AM the package arrived yesterday. I suck .
Nice find Mr. Todd, that's cheap. Poulan or AM? I don't deal with little red barn after getting burned on a 3400 kit from them.

Steve Sidwell

Haven’t really compared them back to back. Compression is very high at 175. Randy said the thing holding the saw back is the carb. Needs a bigger carb. Unfortunately a bigger carb would require an impulse nipple on the cylinder. I’m uneasy about doing that.

I have heard that too about the carb. I also heard the intake is somewhat restrictive too but that can be smoothed out some and opened up a little.

That would be good. Have you ported some saws?

Yes a few. But I do not go crazy with the porting. I like using all my saws and want them reliable.
Here is a picture of a Poulan 505 that I ported and added finger ports. The pic is a little blurry but you get the idea.
This is now one of my milling saws.
IMG_0995.JPG
IMG_0997.JPG

Yes a few. But I do not go crazy with the porting. I like using all my saws and want them reliable.
Here is a picture of a Poulan 505 that I ported and added finger ports. The pic is a little blurry but you get the idea.
This is now one of my milling saws.
View attachment 784734
View attachment 784735

Wicked man so do you get into the port timing or just widen and the fingers. Does the 3700 have the bridge in the intake like the 4000? I was wondering if that really needs to be there.

Back