Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow surely that's a repaint? The many colors of poulan. What year was that saw? Were chain brakes mandatory on it then or not?

No repaint. The clutch cover and brake was something I bought that was NOS. There is a lot of the these clutch covers around without the brake but you can tell because of all the holes. The year for that saw is the same as the Poulan 4000 because it is the exact same thing except for the brake and the colors which are yellow and grey. To my knowledge all the PP 395's came with chain brakes but I do not believe it was mandatory at the time.

No repaint. The clutch cover and brake was something I bought that was NOS. There is a lot of the these clutch covers around without the brake but you can tell because of all the holes. The year for that saw is the same as the Poulan 4000 because it is the exact same thing except for the brake and the colors which are yellow and grey. To my knowledge all the PP 395's came with chain brakes but I do not believe it was mandatory at the time.

Ah right well that was a good find then

The 395 I had used the same style brake handle. I think they all did, but not 100% on that. I would have kept it, but traded it for a couple of sandcast saws since I already had 2 or 3 4000's

View attachment 784181

I believe you correct. All the ones I have seen all use the same style brake.

How many do you have now? Do ya still run them?

I have 2 4000's. One is a chainbrake model and of course they run. I really don't like chain brakes, on the 4000 and such they add too much weight. I ran saws without brakes forever, never knew I needed one.

I have 2 4000's. One is a chainbrake model and of course they run. I really don't like chain brakes, on the 4000 and such they add too much weight. I ran saws without brakes forever, never knew I needed one.

I guess your wife never told you to put the brakes on.:)

Not only the addition of weight but they will not noodle for anything and will plug up in nothing flat with that brake on them.

Agreed I have a few with no brake and don't give a 2nd thought about using a saw without. Untle the ranger shows up

Not only the addition of weight but they will not noodle for anything and will plug up in nothing flat with that brake on them.

Definitely can not noodle worth a darn at all. If I have too eg the last saw with gas in it I've figured if I keep the right angle right and don't let it pull big noodles it's ok. Preferably grab a mac 7-10 for noodles

Back