Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you how about paper gaskets like the carb gasket can those be reused

If it tears when you remove it or if it is real brittle replace it. I bought a leather punch and one of those hole punches for note book paper and then bought some gasket material so I can just make my own when I need to. For the rest I use a razor blade. Use the old gasket for a template.

Gaskets are supposed to crush down when you bolt parts together. They fill in irregularities in the mating surfaces. I wouldn't reuse a gasket given other options. A leaking gasket can cause an air leak and destroy your top end. It isn't a good place to save a couple dollars as it can cost a lot more to fix afterwards.

Whenever I make gaskets, I soak them in 2 stroke oil for a couple minutes before I install them. It soaks into the gasket like a sponge and makes new gaskets crush down more for a better seal. It also helps the gasket come off if you need to disassemble it down the road. Avoid using rtv on gaskets like the plague.

If I can't find a new gasket or I need one quick, I have a set of leather punches and an xacto knife to cut them out. Most gaskets can be cut out of 1/32" gasket paper. Always measure squish after assembly if cutting your own base gaskets though.

What’s a good number for squish on these old Poulan saws?

I see most other saw builds limit it to 0.20”, or a half a mil.

I have reduced the squish down to around .022" on a 3700 and 2 3800's. No problems.

I also took a 335 Poulan down to .018" with no problems. Smaller piston.

Haha we knew what he meant.

I noticed something today...

2 different 3400-4000 style chain brakes
20191230_160948.jpg Screenshot_20191210-221301_Samsung Internet.jpg
Just a photo I stumbled open while digging around.

How many of you have brakes? I like to have the brake for cutting on government land they can get snotty about it otherwise

Yes it has a spacer about 1/2" I'll check the actual size for the squish and I machined the carb adapter from nylon. If you want more information send me a PMView attachment 783635

Nice job on that adapter. Really! Since the 4000 piston pin bearings are in the piston, how did you work around that with the Husky piston?

View attachment 783821 View attachment 783822

How many of you have brakes? I like to have the brake for cutting on government land they can get snotty about it otherwise

That round bar type brake looks like the ones that come on the PP 395.

Ran my 3700 again to clear a path for our dog invisible fence we were installing. Downed a few trees that were hanging precariously. Noticed that the saw seems to be cutting out when revving out of the cut but seems to clean up fine in the cut. I’m wondering if I’m still too rich or if my ignition that got beat up needs to be replaced. I’ll try and get a vid of it soon. It’s a wet humid mess out today.

Are you ready for RIP jr this is a more likeable saw that doesn't take a lot of changes to the case but you have to plug and redrill the holes. It uses the stock carb and air filter system. It's a mild mannered strong saw

It is a husky 272 cylinder and piston, cheap clone , 52mm so you have 71cc. It runs like a 4000 but stronger. View attachment 783397 View attachment 783399 View attachment 783400 View attachment 783403

Man give the guy an idea and he goes nuts!!! Love it.

I like the Rip Jr more then the original honestly. It’s simpler (beyond my means due to tooling) and 70cc saws are a great.

View attachment 783821 View attachment 783822

One thing to watch on those is the pawl that holds the brake in cocked position. I've had a couple where the pawl was worn causing the brake band to drag.

Pic of the pawl attached.

Attachments

• 3400 brake pawl.pdf
    148.4 KB · Views: 15
Back