Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in central NY we had a hi of 11F today. Over the weekend we got 6" of snow. Forcast of 5 for tonight was 2F at 0530 this morning.

I did cut and skid out two big Beech trees this afternoon for firewood. One was rt at 20" and the other was 24" but slightly hollow. Used a,red Craftsman 3.7/18 thin ring, with 20" bar and chain.

Waste of time, lol

Lol very much loved footwear over here its eather work boots or jandels. Hunting jandels, safety jandels, wedding jandels, hiking jandels, winter jandels, summer jandels, dinner jandels, .. . .. every kiwi has a God given right to mow his lawn in his jandels lol

I do stop for boots when running a saw however many don't and instead rely on the safety jandels.

A good pair will last a year used as number one foot wear for all of the above.

Can even water ski in your jandels lol

I haven't seen much on CL, mostly plastic saws Gary. Hope you had good luck with the weather like it was. Looks like cold weather has finally set in now.

Steve Sidwell
73f last Wednesday caught 10 after lunch . I like fishing in the cold but I’m going to miss these 70 degree days . 422C8B33-163A-4E1E-A02E-D0766FA91A25.png

It's certainly been a gamble on my behalf, but also a joy. I hope that the cylinder will bring a lot of people's saws back to life and happy experiences to their workbenches.

Chris
So i musta missed what piston will work with your new jug. Assuming no 4000 jug is available. Eh?

Was wondering about that. Saw a pic of the piston and it was minus the two end bearings. I've never seen them for sale so I was wondering how he would work around them.

I am not Duke, nor do I personally know him, but let me take a stab at this.

I do believe the photos of the piston you saw on here were prototype / prof cast of the pistons . I can assure you that when the pistons are cast they have no finish tolerances to critical areas and some areas must still be machined to finish dimensions. There for the bearings will be the last step in the process.

Very much like when I cast boolitz, they don't drop out of the mold finish sized, lubed and with a gas check installed.

Ken

Speaking of the 4000 I took a 3400 apart and put the 4000 cylinder kit on it and have been running it on the dino. The saw is running good and the kit was easy to install, all the bolts and gaskets came with it. The saw is running rich now and will stay that way for the first tank of fuel. This is going to be so neat when they are 4 sale. Everyone is going to want one.

So i musta missed what piston will work with your new jug. Assuming no 4000 jug is available. Eh?

It will be coming as a kit so we have our own piston being made as well as our own cylinder. As Steve said it will be coming with the cylinder, piston, rings, wrist pin, gasket set and hardware set. I ship the tester set to Todd with a little red barn piston in it because our piston isn't quite ready yet. More on that lower down.

Will be own piston too I do believe:)
Yep, you got it!

I'm going to say the bearings are going to be there
This is still up in the air, but I have recently been able to source them for a much more reasonable price than I was able to find them for in the past. I'm going to get some samples in and check them out and if they're solid we are definitely going to bring them in and pair them with the kit.

Was wondering about that. Saw a pic of the piston and it was minus the two end bearings. I've never seen them for sale so I was wondering how he would work around them.

I stock them right now they're available for sale I charge 10 bucks a set for them buddy!

I am not Duke, nor do I personally know him, but let me take a stab at this.

I do believe the photos of the piston you saw on here were prototype / prof cast of the pistons . I can assure you that when the pistons are cast they have no finish tolerances to critical areas and some areas must still be machined to finish dimensions. There for the bearings will be the last step in the process.

Very much like when I cast boolitz, they don't drop out of the mold finish sized, lubed and with a gas check installed.

Ken

Hey Ken!
Awesome insight into the bullets, but this is a little different. That piston is basically ready to go and has been machined. We just need to iron out a few changes as far as the ring locating pins and the final diameter are concerned.

I saw the bearings on the web site last week.

Steve Sidwell
Yep, you got it buddy!

Speaking of the 4000 I took a 3400 apart and put the 4000 cylinder kit on it and have been running it on the dino. The saw is running good and the kit was easy to install, all the bolts and gaskets came with it. The saw is running rich now and will stay that way for the first tank of fuel. This is going to be so neat when they are 4 sale. Everyone is going to want one.

Thanks so much @Todd Loosli for taking this kit and doing a little testing on it. I think I can speak for both of us when I say we're having a blast with it!

Thanks to all of you guys that are asking questions and looking for clarification about this. I love being part of the discussion!

Back