Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12f here and very damp air this morning. Just came in from blocking up some beech with the 3400 I cleaned the oil pump on yesterday afternoon/evening. It now oils perfectly without touching the manual oiler. Currently running a old, made in Canada, hard nose 16" bar and now even the nose is staying cool without adding extra oil manually.

Screwbolts I like the way you put that about cutting ' some beech ' did you have a tuff time or did it go ok. Glad the 3400 is doing its job like it should

ROTFLMAO, LOL, the 3400 was, "Some Beech" when I first aquired it, 7 days ago.
It came with fresh fuel lines/filter and a wonderful Chinese walbro clone kit in the carb. That kit was a Some Beech! Previous shade tree tinker had filed one locating pin off pump cover because diaphragm and spacer gasket didn't have that hole! Kit was actually I believe for the "A " pump. Changed that pair and ran the saw open exhausted no muffler, it fogged my outside shop with fuel mist out the exhaust. After many more tear downs of the carb I discovered the gasket under the metering arms plate was the wrong one and it allowed full pump volume to be sprayed out all the fuel holes of both low and high stages. Fuel was bypassing both needles. When I finally realized what was going on , I cut a new round gasket with the 2 proper clear passage ways and now it is no more a, Some Beech!!! Not to not mention the Teat on the metering diaphragm was way to long. My belt sander fixed that. I was out of Walbor HDB kits, I do have HDA , HDC and plain HD kits in the parts drawers. The other 3 Craftsman saw used my B kits up. Tommorow a pair of B kits are supposed to show up. It is now a strong runner and is making up for "Some Beech" that it was.

20200127_114159.jpg

Big Shout out to "Another Bucker" a fine fellow Poulan nut!! We made a parts trade and I now have the original faded green cover that belonged on the "Some Beech".

Yes , It mattered to me, lol, the Some Beech is complete/whole again. !!!

20200131_124021.jpg

Very nice shopping you did, never see anything like that around here. Are they running, tell me about the day, how you found them
I found them on Facebook marketplace . The 3700 was in the upstate of SC 2 hours from me . Then the 4000 was in NC about 2 hours from the 3700. Then a 2 1/2 hour ride home . Snow and rain all day so I would have been home doing nothing . They both run ,the 4000 is an original bow saw and needs a few misc parts which I’m sure I can find in my stash. The 3700 just needs a good cleaning and came with 2 newish chains . I have $150 total in the 2 saws minus diesel fuel ,haha. Fun day !

I found them on Facebook marketplace . The 3700 was in the upstate of SC 2 hours from me . Then the 4000 was in NC about 2 hours from the 3700. Then a 2 1/2 hour ride home . Snow and rain all day so I would have been home doing nothing . They both run ,the 4000 is an original bow saw and needs a few misc parts which I’m sure I can find in my stash. The 3700 just needs a good cleaning and came with 2 newish chains . I have $150 total in the 2 saws minus diesel fuel ,haha. Fun day !
Glad you had good luck on getting them. I give up on dealing with the idiots on Marketplace around here, message, message only answer half the questions, won't call on the phone etc. To heck with this young generation.

BTW how's that PP395 project coming? That should be a good one.
I still haven't got around to working on it Mark, got so many runners now it takes all my time keeping them all going. I'm going in Monday for a knee replacement so that would be a good project to keep me occupied while I heal up. I spent part of today rebuilding the carb on a PP 335,that's another great old Poulan.

I still haven't got around to working on it Mark, got so many runners now it takes all my time keeping them all going. I'm going in Monday for a knee replacement so that would be a good project to keep me occupied while I heal up. I spent part of today rebuilding the carb on a PP 335,that's another great old Poulan.

For their size and weight I think the 335 is as great saw.
poulan 335 starter side.png

Poulan 335 weight.png
Husky 455 rancher
Husky 455 rancher weight.png

Stihl 036. Just saying.
Stihl 036 weight.png

For their size and weight I think the 335 is as great saw.
View attachment 793936

View attachment 793937
No doubt they're a great saw. I've run the crap out of mine and usually pair it up with a PP 365. It's kind of funny, that 365 is the saw that brought me to this forum around 15 years ago. I knew nothing about saws and Modified Mark walked me through on how to get it it running. It turned out there was no impulse line on it and I'd had it in a couple of local shops that apparently didn't know any more than me.

No doubt they're a great saw. I've run out of mine and usually pair it up with a PP 365. It's kind of funny, that 365 is the saw that brought me to this forum 10 or so years ago. I knew nothing about saws and Modified Mark walked me through on how to get it it running. It turned out there was no impulse line on it and I'd had it in a couple of local shops that apparently didn't know any more than me.

That is funny and surprising.
When I retired I decided to go to work for a small engine shop. I did nothing but the 2 stroke work for the shop. On my very first day the owner brought me a Poulan 3400 all in pieces where someone had been working on it and did not get it repaired. It was all I could do to keep a straight face since I had cut my teeth on the counter vibes.

Poulan 3700. I know the counter vibes are popular saws I use them all the time myself.

View attachment 793945
I haven't been able to find a green 3700 bit I do have a thin ring 3.7 craftsman, a PP 375 and a 3800 that I put a 3700 P/C on. The 3400-4000 series saws are what I use about 90% of the time.

Back