Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still haven't got around to working on it Mark, got so many runners now it takes all my time keeping them all going. I'm going in Monday for a knee replacement so that would be a good project to keep me occupied while I heal up. I spent part of today rebuilding the carb on a PP 335,that's another great old Poulan.

Dan, best of luck to you Monday, hope it works out well for you.

On a plastic 4218 can I reuse the carb gasket or better off getting a new one

If you are referring to the gasket between the carb and the Isolator/intake block, yes they can be re used in a pinch if they are not torn and are intact, still in good shape.

I have used before I had gasket stock, cardboard from old shoe box lids to make them. Card stock from the back of legal pad and other card stock to cut replacements from. I have even used card stock to make base gaskets for old 4 cu in Remington saw engines that I used to power Large RC airplanes.

I have cut gaskets from printed Penny saver page paper when I needed just a couple thou clearance on highly modified small block chevy oil pumps that I have used to move Used veg oil.

Ken

I still haven't got around to working on it Mark, got so many runners now it takes all my time keeping them all going. I'm going in Monday for a knee replacement so that would be a good project to keep me occupied while I heal up. I spent part of today rebuilding the carb on a PP 335,that's another great old Poulan.

Good luck on the knee replacement, they are getting very common!! I had a new left hip installed by dear friend/orthopedic surgeon last August 15th and it has been better than possibly imaginable ZERO restrictions from day one.

Where did you put the gasket at on a sb 350? I've never seen a gasket in those pumps. Just curious.

Steve Sidwell

I also said Highly modified, HV versions! Cheap Pumps. I was looking for HV cheap oil pumps. As you know there are no gaskets or shaft seals on/in them. I cut off all the stock mounting cast iron, turned the cast down on the drive support block to take a pressed on sleeve that I put an oil seal on the drive shaft in to stop leakage there. ( I believe it is the same seals that Poulan and so many other saws use for crank seals, LOL ) Cut off the cast that holds the pressure relief/bypass, plugged those and other passageways. cut two new holes, one for feed and one for exhaust opposite sides. Brazed two 3/4" pipe nipples on, actual ends from a nipple I cut in half. After Brazing nipples on ( Todd, be Nice ) the two halves would not seal properly so I would flat wet sand them on 200 paper using oil. Everything you do has consequences! After sanding surfaces flat the pump is to tight to turn free! Simple solution go around shop looking for the thinnest paper to make a gasket/spacer from. Pennys aver paper won the mike test, and after a grease print from a pump half for pattern it was cut out. Yes the very thin paper gasket was just right for clearance and sealed well. I drove these pumps with a Stihl gas powered drill. A thin wall 3/4" pipe for intake tube 40" long with beautiful 90 degree bend ( cut from an old chevy Van folding seat/bed frame, 1/2 of a coupling brazed on for female threads. No sense wasting a whole coupling. ) and 20' of 3/4 hose from the pump with another 90 section of tubing for discharge ( and the other half of that coupling welded on). I could back up to my collection drums, for used veg oil and in 2 minutes per drum transfer the oil to a drum in the back of the truck with a very light portable pump system that I made. Made several, own 2 stihl drills.

Think outside of the box, Farmers have been making/modifying there own tools since the dawn of time. Yes I have driven over 300k miles on used veg oil. 5 tractors on my youngest brothers farm set up to run veg.

IMHO, I have no use for the newer diesels with computers, none what so ever! Do not own or drive one.

Ken

PS: didn't say 350, lol, but they used the same simple oil pump design from the 265 cu in, threw the largest displacement SB engine. I used the HV versions to cut apart.

Was comparing some poulan 54mm pistons. Some old ones pulled from past saws and some of the new nos and used ones that came in.

Got alittle surprise. Front piston that came in a saw in the past turned out to be aftermarket. Had oem circlips, oem wrist pin, caber ring. Least they were smart enough to do all of that.

As you can see the skirts are freaking so thick on that afm one.

p54mmafm.jpg

I haven't been able to find a green 3700 bit I do have a thin ring 3.7 craftsman, a PP 375 and a 3800 that I put a 3700 P/C on. The 3400-4000 series saws are what I use about 90% of the time.

No doubt those are some great saws. I use them all the time around home but when I go to the mountains and I am cutting and limbing all day long I do look for something a little lighter. The ole back just does not handle it as well these days and my arms start getting like rubber.

Me and the brother in law. I did all the cutting that trip because he was getting over a broken arm.

IMG_1254.JPG

No doubt those are some great saws. I use them all the time around home but when I go to the mountains and I am cutting and limbing all day long I do look for something a little lighter. The ole back just does not handle it as well these days and my arms start getting like rubber.

Me and the brother in law. I did all the cutting that trip because he getting over a broken arm.

View attachment 794169

I completely understand the weight thing, I have 3 light huskies, 340, 345 made into a 350 and an old 350. They cut all my wood for 10 years. Then 3 Echos showed up, a 660 evl, the twon in yellow and black a 65 sv JD and a little 330 evl. The 330 has gone to a new home.

The word disabled was forced upon me in 97, 11 years after a head on mva. They are 12 pound saws. And I always travel with a pair and a spare.

Now there is a Pioneer P41S and P28 also in the wood shed.

Getting old and contankoras, I have grown deeply fond of the pre 89, North American made saws. 2 of the Huskies and the 2 65cc echos may find new homes. I keep pushing myself for strength.

Is that one of the pines or aspen on the trailer? Aspen is similar to our poplar.

I should have layed out of work and drove down your way and went with ya. Had to sit in the warm shop and install a head rests DVD player in a new truck along with tailgate blue tooth speakers and a bunch of other stuff, pita.

Steve Sidwell
I’ve got one more I need to go get south of us . Maybe next week.

Glad you had good luck on getting them. I give up on dealing with the idiots on Marketplace around here, message, message only answer half the questions, won't call on the phone etc. To heck with this young generation.
I don’t see hardly any for sale anywhere else around here . I always try to speak to the seller first . They usually work out good for me .

Steve, this is version I, proof of concept that we ran with cordless drill to empty the 4.5 gallon37 lbs cubies that oil is delivered in.

View attachment 794147

This is version II, HV Pump, instead of standard. More stuff cut off, lighter.

View attachment 794155

Running a red 3700 thin ring today.

Great, simple, good working saws.
I know those pumps from anywhere, worked on enough of them. They where a sloppy design, simple but worked.

Steve Sidwell

Buick had a simple oil pump on some of their engines but the pump housing was part of the block. Those we would replace the gears and install a relief valve and spring. Kit came with different springs but were color coded, just match up the color that came out of the block.

Steve Sidwell

I’ve got one more I need to go get south of us . Maybe next week.
Wish I could lay out. They have my schedule booked til week after next. I get most all of the electronic problems so I stay busy. Got one now that has 20 trouble codes for communication failures. I'll have both my laptops going full speed Monday pulling up diagrams to trace out the problem child that's causing it.

Steve Sidwell

Gas prices are dropping. Should be cheaper in Augusta.
b01d73aba2ff9e2a6b91e7d79b12a965.jpg

Steve Sidwell

Me and the brother in law. I did all the cutting that trip because he getting over a broken arm.

View attachment 794169

That sure is a nice truck a beautiful trailer you got there, how many tractors do you take with you

I honestly can't imagine living somewhere that going to the mountains is farther than walking across the back yard.

Back