Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welderman I went back and had a look that bar you have is a Windsor speed tip and bars don't get much better than that I'd say it can absolutely be saved it's a 20 too by the look of it. Can buy a new tip if need be. Very nice bar I am jealous.

Chuck a wire buff on it and strip it clean they look stunning like that to me the Windsors have a nice dark color
That's great thank you yes it's a 20" I was just going to replace it but if she's a good one in will keep it and run her. Thank you

That green 3400 with a 16" hard nose bare will nearly keep right up either of my red 3700 thin ring's with craftsman written on them. All my mufflers have been slot modified by me.

I need to take the oiler apart and clean/check it out. It isn't oiling enough. The previous user used old motor oil in it so a good cleaning is definitely needed.

View attachment 793108

Looks good seeing those old saws still working to earn there keep. Last fall I finally broke down and bought a set of log tongs about that size. They are one of the better investments I have made in a while. Mine are even Poulan green..

Looks good seeing those old saws still working to earn there keep. Last fall I finally broke down and bought a set of log tongs about that size. They are one of the better investments I have made in a while. Mine are even Poulan green..
I agree with you Mark,I bought a set of those tongs too and loaded up a trailer of rounds that I really don't think I could have picked up without them. Didn't have to bend over near as far.

I to agree with Mark and have enjoyed that set of tongs since the spring of 85 when I built a portable Band saw for cutting lumber. They are as handy as pockets in shirts. All of my blocking is done with the sticks being raised off the ground. I have seen the green ones advertised. Mine are the classic blue, and I originally used them with an electric winch on a tripod that could be moved up and down the saw mill track to raise and lower stock that I was sawing.

I to agree with Mark and have enjoyed that set of tongs since the spring of 85 when I built a portable Band saw for cutting lumber. They are as handy as pockets in shirts. All of my blocking is done with the sticks being raised off the ground. I have seen the green ones advertised. Mine are the classic blue, and I originally used them with an electric winch on a tripod that could be moved up and down the saw mill track to raise and lower stock that I was sawing.
I wasn't sure how they would work out as I really didn't know if my little New Holland TC29D would have enough guts and ass to lift enough to lift 16" cut 4' + rounds. I was presently surprised to find it done a pretty good job with it. Its a good thing the rear wheels are ballasted. I used a couple vintage Poulans also, a PP365 and a 5200 with a 32" bar as well as a ported PP475.

I agree with you Mark,I bought a set of those tongs too and loaded up a trailer of rounds that I really don't think I could have picked up without them. Didn't have to bend over near as far.

Hi Dan, glad to hear from you. Yep age is limiting what we can do now, have to deal with it best we can I guess.

Yes the tongs work well, we were able to hang big rounds right on top the splitter to get them busted up. They say the tongs are only for dragging but of course lots of people use them for lifting. The one thing I found was when lifting the cut rounds, the old oak was too hard for the points to get a good bite in. To remedy that, I used a cordless drill to drill a divit on each side for the points to hook into and found it much safer that way.

Does anyone know how to get a new crank seal over the oiler screw on the clutch side of the crank on a Poulan 2700/2800/3000? I had to wreck the old one getting it out and don't want to wreck the new one. I have looked everywhere online - nothing for this series of saws. Thanks in advance.

Pull the worm gear.

There is a cheap puller to use or make a redneck one. Bottom right in pic.

Thread with info http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/poulan/3450-no-oil-from-pump/msg80032/#msg80032

Pic of one someone fubarred :p . About tore up my oem puller trying to pull that one off.

View attachment 793363
View attachment 793367

Thank you. I looked for that when pulling the old seal off, but it looks like the worm gear is forged on the crank. I found a puller on ebay - will go from there. Thanks again.

I broke down myself and found some ice tongs. I cut the handles off and then extended them with some pipe I had laying around. I made them long enough to save the ole back. I painted them orange so I do not loose them in the mountains when I use them the most. They make pretty good wood tongs and were cheap.

IMG_1364.JPG

When not on the land with dad's tongs on his tractor to use.

I bought this to use for my uses for smaller heavy logs. One person is tougher to move the logs to the test stand but 2 people is easy peasy. Made my life much easier doing it by myself.

View attachment 793395

I really need to make a couple of those. Very handy

Back