Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That 2nd pic down was a line I installed to watch in something of mine. Not much use at all. 1 year and it did that. = crap line
I found on of these crap lines in a 5020 I acquired the other day, and had never heard of them before. Now it is new news all over the Nik Poulan site. Thanks for the info before I even asked.
ilovechainsaws

The chain brake on my new to me 3400 is missing some parts, see photo. I can't get the brake off so I could run it just as a clutch cover.
P&C look excellent fired on a dribble and have since replaced fuel line

Attachments

• IMGP0014.JPG
    IMGP0014.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
Here’s pics of the afore mentioned bar and chain. If it weren’t for the stenciling I’d just sand it and paint the McCulloch logo on it.
View attachment 848637View attachment 848638View attachment 848639
Go ahead and clean up the bar and get these for it.

https://www.sugarcreeksupply.net/co...cts/poulan-large-sprocketnose-bar-stencil-set
Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
1a1b9f3e4de50a699ff9bfdadc17bccd.jpg

What’s the story behind the two different type muffs, one with the common 45 degree outlet & then there’s a 90 degree outlet, both used on the 5200 series saws?

This pic was copied from an old Poulan 8500 restoration thread.

View attachment 850055

I think the 90 deg version showed up on the 8500. My guess would be that the 45 deg version may have been blowing exhaust on the users hand when cutting with a full wrap, recoil side down. I believe that's why Pioneer started with the rear exhaust port on their western models.

Only a guess though.

I think the 90 deg version showed up on the 8500. My guess would be that the 45 deg version may have been blowing exhaust on the users hand when cutting with a full wrap, recoil side down. I believe that's why Pioneer started with the rear exhaust port on their western models.

Only a guess though.

Thanks Tim & Kevin.

That makes sense on timelines, the IPLs for 8500 & 8510 totally agree. Good point on the outlet’s discharge angle, and it sure will clear the wood chips off the bar & chain too.

Talking about timelines, I placed this order with VE Petersen for P4000 Walbro HDB series carb parts on 2-12-20, right before the coronachina virus hit. Over 6 months ago & I just got it in the mailbox today, lol.

About a dozen hard part numbers like the angled tipped idle speed screw kits, mixture screws, nozzle check valves, throttle & choke shafts & butterflys, metering springs, pump side covers, small proprietary screws, etc.

The HDB hard parts are quickly going obsolete. Many, like the internal metering plates, already are.
F7E771EE-FDAF-45C5-83A4-EECEEB3CDCA2.jpeg

My father-in-law gave me a Poulan PP4218 AVX. He purchased it in 2011 only used to take down one tree, put it in the case and there it sat. When he gave it to me he started it up and it shut down after running 30 sec. I took it home replaced all the fuel lines and the spark plug. Now it wont start. Tried a little 40.1 in the carb still no start. I checked the compression and got 130 on 5 pulls. Pulled the muffler and the piston looks fine. Spark seems a little weak. Any thoughts?

If the fuel line was broken off inside the tank, you’ll need to pull the strato carb’s fuel pump cover & check the little inlet screen for debris.

Otherwise, retrace the two lines at purge bulb hookups, they very well may be on backwards. “Out” goes to the gas tank on the bigger line, “In” comes from the carbs metering chamber fitting.

Doubt the ignition coil has failed from just setting for 9 years, but it is made in china or taiwan...

If the fuel line was broken off inside the tank, you’ll need to pull the strato carb’s fuel pump cover & check the little inlet screen for debris.

Otherwise, retrace the two lines at purge bulb hookups, they very well may be on backwards. “Out” goes to the gas tank on the bigger line, “In” comes from the carbs metering chamber fitting.

Doubt the ignition coil has failed from just setting for 9 years, but it is made in china or taiwan...
Thanks for the reply. The fuel line did break when I touched them. I cleaned the tank out, but didn't see any debris. I pull the screen. Appreciate it.

Thanks for the reply. The fuel line did break when I touched them. I cleaned the tank out, but didn't see any debris. I pull the screen. Appreciate it.
Possibly not only the screen, it could be the metering diaphragm. Probably Walbro Carb, pick up a carb rebuild diaphragm kit. $10 always well spent.

Pull carb look here. 4218 did same thing. Also had bad fuel lines.

Also good time to check diaphragms condition.

p4218a.JPG

Some of you will get this. Being the younger generation has no clue and think poulans are just the little plastic saws. That can be a PITA to start when not taken care of.

I get a good laugh when the name brands come in the shop with their starting issues. I walk over and sometimes catch my poulans on 1st pull on a quick push in of choke. I just :laughing: = Funny to watch their expression. :yes:
Most times 2-3.

lolpull.jpeg

Some of you will get this. Being the younger generation has no clue and think poulans are just the little plastic saws. That can be a PITA to start when not taken care of.

I get a good laugh when the name brands come in the shop with their starting issues. I walk over and sometimes catch my poulans on 1st pull on a quick push in of choke. I just :laughing: = Funny to watch their expression. :yes:
Most times 2-3.

View attachment 850871

I do enjoy firing up my 5200 in 2 pulls , choke out/in run!
But they'll have to idiot proof everything sooner or later, like cars,people buy a 3600 lb missile and know absolutely nothing about the functioning of it?
The old poulans or anything with a choke at least requires that you understand how that works most of the time.

Got invited to cut 2 stumps to close to ground level as I wanted. So I got a 5200 off of shelf, was the last one I put together with the welded case. Grabbed my 34 in bar and chain and put them together ❤. If you don't know a 34 inch chain has a lot of teeth to sharpen. All went well and had a good time. 20200818_194658.jpg20200818_194638.jpg

Back