Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of our first 2020 GMC convertibles that came in.
79d8e251cf9ec2ead1480889470b8593.jpg

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

I had tons of misc brochures from snowmobiles, saws, cars, and ATV’s back to the early 80’s at my parents house stored inside the end table. My mom threw them all away when she decided she needed a new end table. :chainsaw:

My first car was a 68’ Chevelle SS396. Red with black vinyl top. A previous owner had painted 70’ stripes on the hood which looked pretty good and only the hard core Chevy guys knew wasn’t correct.

Blew the engine, build a .030 over 454 and ran that for one summer then sent it to get painted. It got done being painted around the time I started a family and the car never was put together till I sold it to the next guy.

I had tons of misc brochures from snowmobiles, saws, cars, and ATV’s back to the early 80’s at my parents house stored inside the end table. My mom threw them all away when she decided she needed a new end table. :chainsaw:
I still got some ads with the 65 chevelle and other older cars I had shoved back somewhere in a closet.
Hope somebody does some good with them when I am gone and passes them someone that can use them and not get trashed.

More carnage from replacing crank seals on a Poulan 3700 Craftsman using **** made, NAFTA supplied, National 253747 seals.

I’d sold it last week, was running well, & then it came back for a hot no start. He only ran 2 tanks through it at 95F outside temp. Initially checked the coil, then threw a fresh carb kit in to make sure the needle wasn’t seeping fuel by...no help.

Good thing he couldn’t restart it, as the FW side seal rubber was brittle & sucking air. 3” Hg is all it could hold back, & you need 15”. I replaced both sides due to age.

Chamfered the bores very well with a pocket knife & a file, as I’ve had past issues with them hanging up & crushing an edge, but I still ruined 2 seals to get 2 properly installed without hanging up, so used 4 total seals. Really would like to know how they installed them at the Poulan plant.

Next time I’m also going to chamfer the seal edge to see if that helps. These saws really suck your $$ away, when it comes to replacing the crank seals.

46A40E0E-6159-4304-8B20-5C6BB64965F4.jpegE89AB5C6-5601-482B-82A1-5CBF2C77A867.jpeg6FC0916E-D40B-4E19-8A3F-07AB6E598865.jpegF4F90FCE-24D5-4372-973F-00C07887E29E.jpeg

I have always had good luck with 6119's without the need to chamfer . A bit of Motoseal on the seal OD to help slide them in. I've never tried (or reason I ought to) the National equivalents. Sounds like folks just end up fighting them.

Hello Corey, I‘m down to my last 3 from a 10 pack, then 6119 from now on.

Got a chance to change seals ,and mount a rim sprocket to the old 3400. It runs great with new seals. Earned a spot next to the great running 5200.
I think I'll keep the banana bar on it , it's in good shape and it looks authentic.
I have all the parts to start my 4200 next NOS gaskets ,seals,bearings ,air filter,and carburetor. 20200906_153433.jpg20200906_153441.jpg

I found another 3400 in my shed ? I have no idea when or where I got it.
Any it looks like an early model foot pad ( short)and it has a hole for an adjustable oiler in the saw but no adjustment screw that I can see. It also has the 4 corner air filter knob which could have been swapped out.
I fixed one a couple of years ago for a young man who couldn't afford to buy a saw but cuts fire wood for his church and I remember grabbing 2 or 3 spare saws at a scrap yard for the build, this must have been one , except that I didn't rob anything off it. Needs seals but runs and idles on it's belly.

Latest posts

Back