Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brought home a freebie. Earlier (1980) 3.4 20”. Still had a loop of the semi-chisel Windsor 50A on the 20” it came with. I swapped on a 16”. Only 3400 I have without a brake. Different style hold down on the air box cover and another with the short-lived “adjustable” pump. Needs new plumbing, but runs great.

84FAF0FD-1534-4DF2-8022-5D9239CB49C8.jpeg71D40B7E-5598-421D-95E0-E88C442CBE6B.jpeg

Need some advise on P&C carbon deposits. These are the old scored units from a strato charged craftsman 42cc 18".
Just over rich all it's life, or something else?
IMG_20210716_100558422_MP.jpgIMG_20210716_100250934_HDR.jpg

Brought home a freebie. Earlier (1980) 3.4 20”. Still had a loop of the semi-chisel Windsor 50A on the 20” it came with. I swapped on a 16”. Only 3400 I have without a brake. Different style hold down on the air box cover and another with the short-lived “adjustable” pump. Needs new plumbing, but runs great.

View attachment 917777View attachment 917778
Free is a great price, if you can find them for that. Maybe this belongs in that other forum too?

My son was at the dump and saw a green saw and grabbed it, doesn't know much about them, said he wanted to know if any of the newer parts would fit any of the ones that I have. Told him probably not and asked if he had it and he said it's in the back of the truck. We stop and he drags out a very dirty but very nice 3400. He had no idea what he had. I was so excited and I think it will be a runner with new fuel line. He told me that when he saw the stickers on it that it was a newer version and not a good old one. One of the best I have seen under a nice layer of grime. I'll get a picture of it when I can.

My son was at the dump and saw a green saw and grabbed it, doesn't know much about them, said he wanted to know if any of the newer parts would fit any of the ones that I have. Told him probably not and asked if he had it and he said it's in the back of the truck. We stop and he drags out a very dirty but very nice 3400. He had no idea what he had. I was so excited and I think it will be a runner with new fuel line. He told me that when he saw the stickers on it that it was a newer version and not a good old one. One of the best I have seen under a nice layer of grime. I'll get a picture of it when I can.
Todd, great story and I can't wait to see the pictures. Grime is good, LOL! I know Poulan Countervibes we're plentiful in the day, but good specimens are hard to find now IMHO. Here's the thing: your son's find proves they're still out there! Can't wait to learn and see more of the 3400! Max.

Anyone interested in a 25 AV project? Has front and rear AV. Maybe part it if no one wants to fix a AV model.

I fixed the recoil to pull it over. No start, guessing spark?

Dont look bad inside covers. Missing clutch cover and af. Fuel line rotted. Piston looks ok through muffler.

First time I seen one come in with duckbill in cap with retainer still there too.

Walbro carb.

Never noticed this part with Taiwan on one before. Maybe I just overlooked it.

p25.jpgp25xxxxx.jpgp25xxxx.jpgp25p.jpgp25t.jpgp25fly.jpgp25cap.jpgp25cc.jpgp25recc.jpgp25rec.jpg

Buying a ring for poulan 2000. Ipl lists two part no’s based on date code/serial.
1. before Date Code/Serial #1890001 is part no. 530023789
2. After Date Code/Serial #1890001 is part no. 530025875
Since the piston I am using is not original to the saw it’s going in I need to know what difference there is between the two pistons so I can make an educated guess.

Sold as Craftsman 3.0 18" that is really 3.4 3400. I took on trade awhile back.

Also tool I made for pulling 026 fly sides works like a charm on these. 1-2 seconds out.

Finally got time to do the seals. Nothing extra needed. No filing bevels in case etc. The SKF goes right in like normal seals.

Start and ran but starving for fuel. Thought needed kit. But just needed cleaned.

c34s.jpgc34ss.jpgc34sss.jpgc34ssss.jpgc34sssss.jpgc34ssssss.jpg

Poulan 3700 chrome bore thin ring pulled from a red 3.7. Also red 3.7 came with bare bore thick ring 3800 tops. So make sure what you have. Posting for guy looking.

Update = SOLD thats what he needed.

View attachment 920557View attachment 920559View attachment 920560View attachment 920561View attachment 920562View attachment 920563View attachment 920564View attachment 920565
Wow, that seems like a load of carbon on the piston crown. I assume there is the same on the roof of the cylinder?
Is that amount standard, normal, acceptable for long term health of P&C?
Maybe should clean it off before re-install into a saw.

Wow, that seems like a load of carbon on the piston crown. I assume there is the same on the roof of the cylinder?
Is that amount standard, normal, acceptable for long term health of P&C?
Maybe should clean it off before re-install into a saw.
No clue.

Lot of old saws pulled down for first time after 30-40 years look like that. I would guess dino oils and rich tune.

When I rebuild ones like that I use Berryman's B12 to soak crown and it bubbles alot off. Then scrap rest as it softened.
2100 piston soaking in pic.

h2100soak.jpg

Back