Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked up a free pp4620av. Looks good but haven't done anything with it yet. Are they any good? Want to know the good, the bad, the ugly on this model.

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Just picked up a free pp4620av. Looks good but haven't done anything with it yet. Are they any good? Want to know the good, the bad, the ugly on this model.

Certainly better than current offerings.some of the latter ones have nasty one barnut chain brake, other than that pretty decent.

I'm in need of some help with it way to check the ignition on the 5200 type saws.
The manual has a flash light thing with 2 wires coming from it. Does anyone know if it is just a light bulb and battery or is there some electrical stuff in there.
The manual has you hooking to wires and the light is bright and change things and it is dimmer.
How do you check the coil and the module.

Steve , the 4620 is a good saw much like the 295 . The ugly is the muffler .
If I had a PP4620AV I would uncrimp the muffler , remove the diffuser and the external spark arrestor screen .
Scott

I'm in need of some help with it way to check the ignition on the 5200 type saws.
The manual has a flash light thing with 2 wires coming from it. Does anyone know if it is just a light bulb and battery or is there some electrical stuff in there.
The manual has you hooking to wires and the light is bright and change things and it is dimmer.
How do you check the coil and the module.
I found the kill wire worn through in mine.

I had this one running but it started to act different then I found the carb screws had loosened so I shut it off and pulled the carb and reed off. Cleaned it up and new gaskets and I haven't got a pop out of it. Cylinder and piston are perfect . I have changed the coil and module to different ones, I have 6 sets and no pops. Checked the gap done every thing I can think of and I'm stuck.
I'm going to pull a set from a different saw and try that.

I really need some edumacation here. Still working on my recalcitrant 2000. The original symptom was when cutting it would decide to run lean and wouldn’t quit til I shut it down and restarted it. Thought there might be a leak in the case half’s cause when pressure testing it bubbled out of the oiler hole. Split, inspected, cleaned, and reassembled case. Haven’t pressure tested again but the original symptom has raised its ugly head again. There were no bubbles from the crank seals when tested. I’m thinking that’s not conclusive regarding crank seals cause of the bubbling from the oiler hole.
I thought I understood how the crankcase pressure caused it to oil. But the more I think bout it the less sure I am that I understand it.
would one or several of you experts educate me regarding that please? Also, if the bubbles from the oiler hole is as designed how do I block the oiler hole off to check crank seals?
Whew! Sorry for the novel but really like this saw and want to fix it so I can keep it.

Reeds stuck open? Just a guess. Ran into that on a Kawasaki KX65 that's my grand boy's. You could kick your guts out and would never pop. I pulled the reed cage and found one duel reed not sealing off. I flipped it and put it back together, bike fired on first kick.

I really need some edumacation here. Still working on my recalcitrant 2000. The original symptom was when cutting it would decide to run lean and wouldn’t quit til I shut it down and restarted it. Thought there might be a leak in the case half’s cause when pressure testing it bubbled out of the oiler hole. Split, inspected, cleaned, and reassembled case. Haven’t pressure tested again but the original symptom has raised its ugly head again. There were no bubbles from the crank seals when tested. I’m thinking that’s not conclusive regarding crank seals cause of the bubbling from the oiler hole.
I thought I understood how the crankcase pressure caused it to oil. But the more I think bout it the less sure I am that I understand it.
would one or several of you experts educate me regarding that please? Also, if the bubbles from the oiler hole is as designed how do I block the oiler hole off to check crank seals?
Whew! Sorry for the novel but really like this saw and want to fix it so I can keep it.
If you can find a way to seal off that cotter pin vent, you should be able to pressure test it. Shouldn't be any bubbling coming from the oiler hole unless line is bad or no/ super low on oil.

If you can find a way to seal off that cotter pin vent, you should be able to pressure test it. Shouldn't be any bubbling coming from the oiler hole unless line is bad or no/ super low on oil.

Yeah it was the cotter pin vent. Onliest way I can think to do that would be to pull the pin through, plug it with fitted toothpick, and apply pressure. But then how to reinstall it?
Also, forgot to mention the idle drops when turning on either side. Curiouser and curiouser.
now understand why I got it at the salvage yard for $3

Besides the surface rust of setting on a saw down south. I dont see any wear whatsoever. More info in PM.

View attachment 915352View attachment 915353View attachment 915354
This did sell after pics and info and already shipped.

So no more of these on hand right now besides the one on the 3.7 that is for sale as whole saw.

Did pick up another 3400 recoil for the pulley so now have 2 usable pulleys extra.
Plus a 3700 topend kit from a saw I decided to part instead of fix.

Old NOS pic of 3 I had. But do have a used full wrap for the 5200 5400 8500 again.

Will update with pics later.

pnosfw.jpg

Just won this unit in an auction. I can find no record of this saw on the Poulan rebrands document. Cutter's Choice is a Canadian owned company out of London, Ontario that operates in the US as Laser Sales. It was formally ZIP Power Parts.
It looks little used and is a 3.7 version of the Poulan line. Looking forward to picking it up later this week to see what it has for a top end.
I can find Micros and a Poulan 2500 rebrand that Poulan made for Cutter's Choice but not this one.

Anyone have any info on it or 2037b.jpghas seen one before?2037.jpg

This did sell after pics and info and already shipped.

So no more of these on hand right now besides the one on the 3.7 that is for sale as whole saw.

Did pick up another 3400 recoil for the pulley so now have 2 usable pulleys extra.
Plus a 3700 topend kit from a saw I decided to part instead of fix.

Old NOS pic of 3 I had. But do have a used full wrap for the 5200 5400 8500 again.

Will update with pics later.

View attachment 916864
Boy ,wish I could have been around for one of those!

Latest posts

Back