Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Craftsman 3.4 poulan 3400 I took in trade. Seems I am seeing more and more of this type of stuff lately.

She oil runs and has good psi for a 3400.

After getting good and warmed up, Didnt pass the redneck crank seal test. Noticed idle rise when on pto side down.

c34smh.jpgc34oil.jpgc34psi.jpg

The National seals are .001" larger in diameter than the SKF seals. That makes a big diff when installing them. Quite a few of the seals used in the older Poulans came from Singapore.
So which ones you guys finding to work better. I'm all out and need to make a order for some more.

3400 etc. OEM 530019097. SKF 6119 for double lip. SKF 6120 for single lip. National 253747.

Closest part I ever found was a 5/16” size at McMaster-Carr, item #98435A132, as the actual bore in a Poulan S25DA or 306/245 plastic cap is 0.320”.

x100 washer per package...same 6 petals & black phosphate finish.

https://www.mcmaster.com/retaining-washers/push-on-internal-retaining-rings/
https://www.mcmaster.com/98435A132
Please don’t take offense but I’m assuming they don’t fall out being slightly smaller OD; duh? Also is the black phosphate better than the SS?
thanks, jerry

@JeremiahJohnson

I see you work on the Poulan/Craftsman 3400/3700/3800 saws from some of your posts. I see 3800 near me once in a while for $40-$60, in cosmetically reasonable condition. They're always proclaimed as needing tuned or carb cleaned (I assume that's the minimum they need).

I presume these saws come to you for lower than those quoted prices, you put a bunch of your time, knowledge and maybe parts into them and can resell for a bunch more? What's market pricing for those, once you put them into working condition? I assume you would have to sell them to knowledgeable saw guys and not newbs looking for a 2021 Craftsman from Home Depot.

@JeremiahJohnson

I see you work on the Poulan/Craftsman 3400/3700/3800 saws from some of your posts. I see 3800 near me once in a while for $40-$60, in cosmetically reasonable condition. They're always proclaimed as needing tuned or carb cleaned (I assume that's the minimum they need).

I presume these saws come to you for lower than those quoted prices, you put a bunch of your time, knowledge and maybe parts into them and can resell for a bunch more? What's market pricing for those, once you put them into working condition? I assume you would have to sell them to knowledgeable saw guys and not newbs looking for a 2021 Craftsman from Home Depot
They dont bring much as whole runners. Why the 3.0 3.4 grey 3400 dont have seals in it to date. Time is money here and I dont need it and my time means more right now during the nice months. Also why I choose to use a 3.7 thin ring saw for a parts saw, then making a 3rd runner. Worth more to me in parts to use.

They are better saws then the price they brings though. The last perfect need nothin 3.0 3.4 aka 3400 in grey I had brought 100.

So buy low and fix for yourself on these IMHO. No money really to be made on whole saw sales.

Heck I sold running 4000's 125-200.

The 2 3.7 thin and thick are for sale right now and nobody even looks even at the low prices. All they see is 61cc craftsman poulan. But some of us know better.

Heck my fav is the later series ones in 54cc for the small saw myself. Couple pounds less weight.

They dont bring much as whole runners. Why the 3.0 3.4 grey 3400 dont have seals in it to date. Time is money here and I dont need it and my time means more right now during the nice months. Also why I choose to use a 3.7 thin ring saw for a parts saw, then making a 3rd runner. Worth more to me in parts to use.

They are better saws then the price they brings though. The last perfect need nothin 3.0 3.4 aka 3400 in grey I had brought 100.

So buy low and fix for yourself on these IMHO. No money really to be made on whole saw sales.

Heck I sold running 4000's 125-200.

The 2 3.7 thin and thick are for sale right now and nobody even looks even at the low prices. All they see is 61cc craftsman poulan. But some of us know better.

Heck my fav is the later series ones in 54cc for the small saw myself. Couple pounds less weight.

Regarding the statement "So buy low and fix for yourself on these IMHO."
I know no other way. All saws a have were obtained used, non-running, and some are even worn-out as a result. (Unless I can find fixes for scored P&C that is more cost effective than $60+ new parts).

Problem is I have not identified a purpose for a BIGGER saw than my 46cc. Won't stop me from getting one, working on it and then finding a purpose later
My tree removal skills have not extended to the dead 36" tree I have way back on my lot. Mostly because it's going to land in the wrong spot.
But my skills/confidence are now up for the dead 18" near vertical tree that will land into my open yard. I think the 20" Blue Max will handle that fine.

Back