Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@JeremiahJohnson

Wow. You get a load of saw coming at you. Both good and bad I guess.
Is it a full time business yet, or just a highly consuming side-gig?
Retired. Just do it on side.

Help friends and folks I know on their saws. Hate seeing folks raked by dealers labor rates and telling them to just buy new saws.

I pick and choose who and what saws I will work on too.

Like yesterday 12 dropped off. Told get as many as I can cutting. :rolleyes:

h33012.jpg

Anyone have interest in this item? Item is local to me, but I don't have use of a vintage ornament.

I'd look at it for someone but can only do basics like: see if pull cord turns it over, and check for broken items. $28 seems cheap, but like I said, might be an ornament only, and not functional.
I'd prefer to get it for a Craftsman/Poulan collector or museum piece, if there is interest. There will be shipping cost also (guessing $40, but haven't shipped before).

.178881888_945407999543292_7629041118001582171_n.jpg

Attachments

• Marketplace - Vintage Sears chainsaw _ Facebook.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 8
I knew I was in trouble when I was getting into first saw yesterday of the 12 dropped off. :oops:
Little 2.0. Going to say lucky they dropped it and broke case before it burned through the line job.

Next was a 2.3cva needed a coil and redneck oiler check valve fix. First duckbill I pulled from one whole still and not wad of goo.

c20.jpg

Another one of these sold as 3.0 18" but really a 3.4.

Took in as trade for another saw. Guy said piston starting to scuff. No clue no time to check. Worst case parts saw or maybe a 3.7 thin goes on top if nobody buys topend kit.

View attachment 914127View attachment 914128View attachment 914129

She wasnt scuffed in ext side looks sweet.

Now maybe intake side might be suspect after seeing air filter.

So on hold parting it to see if can be a runner. But thats on back burner while doing other folks saws and fishing. ;)

c302.jpgc3022.jpgc30222.jpg

Hi guys,I haven't been here in a while as I haven't had a Poulan to work on lately....till today.I got another orange Poulan (Dayton),it's a 306A & in damn nice shape too.First thing I did was check for spark,it had spark & pretty good compression.Next thing I did was check the fuel filter & the line came right out of the tank.I unscrewed the only screw that holds ther tank cover on,gasket was still good.I replaced the line & filter,put it back together & put fuel in it.About 10 pulls later I had a great running saw! Only thing is it has no air filter.I'll get pics of it on here tomorrow.

I have this Craftsman 2.3 18" and don't really find this handle configuration in the acres internet.com site.
Can someone I'd it, or it's Poulan equivalent (2300cva?, but with rear handle).
Thanks.Screenshot_20210507-154530.png

I have this Craftsman 2.3 18" and don't really find this handle configuration in the acres internet.com site.
Thanks.View attachment 914492
I have the poulan version might be called a 2100. Not at home just now.

It’s definitely a later Poulan, a micro series rear handle, and used piston kit 5300-69553, -37603 ring, & -12313 cylinder. Same ring is used in 2.3, so you’re correct that it’s a 2300 equivalent with a rear handle.

Go to searsdirect website & plug that model number in & download the owners manual L0709416 that even has an IPL in it.

Look under poulan 2100 for 33cc and poulan 2400 for 38cc. Those are the rear handle versions of the 2000 2300.
Yours says 2.3 so a 2400

Your Craftsman saw is a Poulan 2400 .

It’s definitely a later Poulan, a micro series rear handle, and used piston kit 5300-69553, -37603 ring, & -12313 cylinder. Same ring is used in 2.3, so you’re correct that it’s a 2300 equivalent with a rear handle.

Go to searsdirect website & plug that model number in & download the owners manual L0709416 that even has an IPL in it.
Thanks @hotshot

The SearsPartsDirect web site did actually have the right IPL for this part number. Appreciate the pointer.

Still cant find any part of the 5 (!!) Poulan sections or 1 Craftsman sections of the database that indicate this saw specifically. They are good references for anything 2.3 cid / 38cc, because I'm pretty sure they would use the same spec engine for a sister saw produced at the same time.

Poulan 2000 / Craftsman 2.0 VS Homelite Super 2 (2.0?)

I know I'm in the right place for Poulan information, but maybe someone has some overlap with knowledge of this Homelite saw produced in the same era?
Haven't got it to run yet, but doing a quick specification comparison, the biggest difference I'm finding is the maximum (free reving) engine speed.
Database says:
Craftsman 2.0 has 7500 RPM
Homelite 2.0 says between 10,000 and 12,500 RPM, in varied places.

To me this seems like a huge difference in cutting potential. Maybe the database is wrong?
Can anyone confirm if there is a big difference in the saws speed and abilities?

:dizzy:

Is this “Database” you’re referencing the Mike Acres website?? Lots of errors in there!

Those RPM numbers for the Super 2 (1.9 cu in) are taken from the Homey service manual, but the free rev for the Poulan is not given in a manual that I’ve seen. Search on-line for a 2100/2400 Poulan service manual, or ask in “The Beg For Manuals” sticky thread for accurate information.

I’d say 7500-8000 RPM is the likely cutting speed for both saws, but the Poulan would kick its azz in a cookie cut race via displacement & more torque.

Local guy I traded that 2.3 2300 to put a 18" on it. Cut the cottonwood buried.
Still from the video he did.

Some other saws I just redid and traded him in past. The 2.3cva came in for coil. 1800 new line, 2000 he bought local new line.

Couple check valve redneck fixes.

c2318.jpgp1800.jpgp2000l.jpgc23cva.jpgpcv.jpg

Back