Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I'm not too worried about it for now. It's a clean saw and piston is clean. It starts right up and runs well too. I'll run it as is and when it's time I'll pull her apart. I suspect for what I do I'll get many years of service as is
I would pick up a set of crank seals and throw them in before you put to much time on the saw. Those seals are old and dry now and won't last long. Cheap insurance.

Anybody here have a source for the throttle and choke linkage for a 3700? My Craftsman is missing both.
Has anybody tried to fabricate any similar type linkage? I can use the linkage from my Poulan as a template, just not sure what would be the best rod material. Thinking drill rod or similar may work.
Let me check. Pretty sure I have the choke linkage. Throttle, not so sure.

Anybody here have a source for the throttle and choke linkage for a 3700? My Craftsman is missing both.
Has anybody tried to fabricate any similar type linkage? I can use the linkage from my Poulan as a template, just not sure what would be the best rod material. Thinking drill rod or similar may work.

Pulled down for parts, those 2 still there.

c37partsaw.jpg

Been running a saw this past week that I have not used before. For work anyway. The Poulan Pro 455. (72cc) I believe. Runs and cuts great! Little heavy, but thats just me being old.. Back when I bought the saw, it was power head only. I bought the Poulan Pro branded 24" bar off ebay, because it was available at the time. It is a non- sprocket tip hard nose bar. Uses the D007 Pioneer bar. Which are no longer made as I understand. Read somewhere that the D009 large Husky bars will work, with some filing work. I have some of those just havnt tried it yet.
For now I think will just continue with this bar. But was curious if anyone else tried the Husky bars, in case I get the urge to switch to a sprocket tip bar. Really pleased with the power of this saw. I do have a couple larger bars I could use with the correct mount, but they are 36" inchers for my 655bp. For what its worth, I cannot tell any difference in a sprocket nose or solid. I suppose longevity could be an issue, but no more than I use it will last my lifetime.

IMG_20210912_100750239_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210912_100844708_HDR.jpg

Gregg,

20210912_101607_HDR~2.jpg
My quick-story about joining the world of (old) Poulans (and my first post here).
I am a homeowner-type, using the saw for occasional tree clearing and firewood.

My old 32cc 14" McCulloch saw started to have too many issues, and I didn't want to sink any money into that size of a saw.
My neighbor had an old 20" Craftsman he gave me for free.

I didn't know anything about it, and started researching it, to learn as much as I can about it (that's how I ended up on this forum). Turns out it is a 1984 Poulan 3700 (358.356090).

The fuel lines were rotten, and the carb needed rebuild kit. Once I took care of that, and a new plug, chain, and air filter, the saw seems to run fine.
I got the low speed adjusted fairly close, and will adjust the high speed, and check compression, as soon as I get the needed tools.

Since i needed a chainsaw for a weekend project, i went ahead a bought a new 18" Husky 440e ii, while working on the 3700.
But it is nice to have both a 40cc 18" and a 60cc 20" :).
Any suggestions & advice regarding the care of the 3700 will be appreciated!

Been running a saw this past week that I have not used before. For work anyway. The Poulan Pro 455. (72cc) I believe. Runs and cuts great! Little heavy, but thats just me being old.. Back when I bought the saw, it was power head only. I bought the Poulan Pro branded 24" bar off ebay, because it was available at the time. It is a non- sprocket tip hard nose bar. Uses the D007 Pioneer bar. Which are no longer made as I understand. Read somewhere that the D009 large Husky bars will work, with some filing work. I have some of those just havnt tried it yet.
For now I think will just continue with this bar. But was curious if anyone else tried the Husky bars, in case I get the urge to switch to a sprocket tip bar. Really pleased with the power of this saw. I do have a couple larger bars I could use with the correct mount, but they are 36" inchers for my 655bp. For what its worth, I cannot tell any difference in a sprocket nose or solid. I suppose longevity could be an issue, but no more than I use it will last my lifetime.

View attachment 929183
View attachment 929184

Gregg,

Hi Gregg,

Good to see you on here.

D009 bars can easily be made to fit many saws.
I laid a D009 bar over a Pioneer clutch cover and you may have to do the following.

1) file the chain tension adjust holes towards the stud slot a little bit so the tensioning pawl fits easily into the hole. I use a 7/32" chain sharpening file.

2) Lay the inner bar plate over the bar and see if the oil hole lines up. I only have the newer angled oil hole bars.
You may have to open the oil holes a bit (to 1/8") to get them to line up or the older round oiler holes might work as is.

The bar fit fine over the 3/8" bar studs.

Hi Gregg,

Good to see you on here.

D009 bars can easily be made to fit many saws.
I laid a D009 bar over a Pioneer clutch cover and you may have to do the following.

1) file the chain tension adjust holes towards the stud slot a little bit so the tensioning pawl fits easily into the hole. I use a 7/32" chain sharpening file.

2) Lay the inner bar plate over the bar and see if the oil hole lines up. I only have the newer angled oil hole bars.
You may have to open the oil holes a bit (to 1/8") to get them to line up or the older round oiler holes might work as is.

The bar fit fine over the 3/8" bar studs.
Thanks Tim.. The oil holes had me the most concerned. Getting them to line up and move enough oil. One of these days when I get ambitious I'll look into it closer and give it a go.

Gregg,

View attachment 929190
My quick-story about joining the world of (old) Poulans (and my first post here).
I am a homeowner-type, using the saw for occasional tree clearing and firewood.

My old 32cc 14" McCulloch saw started to have too many issues, and I didn't want to sink any money into that size of a saw.
My neighbor had an old 20" Craftsman he gave me for free.

I didn't know anything about it, and started researching it, to learn as much as I can about it (that's how I ended up on this forum). Turns out it is a 1984 Poulan 3700 (358.356090).

The fuel lines were rotten, and the carb needed rebuild kit. Once I took care of that, and a new plug, chain, and air filter, the saw seems to run fine.
I got the low speed adjusted fairly close, and will adjust the high speed, and check compression, as soon as I get the needed tools.

Since i needed a chainsaw for a weekend project, i went ahead a bought a new 18" Husky 440e ii, while working on the 3700.
But it is nice to have both a 40cc 18" and a 60cc 20" :).
Any suggestions & advice regarding the care of the 3700 will be appreciated!
Nice old saw, I have used this series of Poulan (Craftsman) saws since 1986. The only things that I would say as to care of these saws is No.1 The air filter, Have bought many of this series of saw over the years, some as parts saws. Nearly 100% of them had crappy worn out , dirty, air filters. Some even had holes drilled in them. Used to have pics of them. I'll see if i can find them.
The flocked air filters used to be available at places like TSC, Sears, etc. dealers obviously, But now best luck at few places on line, Ebay etc.

A practice I always did was every time I refueled, I would clean the filter with a soft bristled brush. Still do that. Even on the nylon 4000 style filters. Then when I was at the shop where I could do some better maintenance, I would use compressed air. Only other thing with this midsize Poulan series I do is use the manual oiler a lot. They use a crankcase pressure oiler. So I always got in habit of using the thumb oiler for added assurance. Sorry couldnt find the pics....

Gregg,

Nice old saw, I have used this series of Poulan (Craftsman) saws since 1986. The only things that I would say as to care of these saws is No.1 The air filter, Have bought many of this series of saw over the years, some as parts saws. Nearly 100% of them had crappy worn out , dirty, air filters. Some even had holes drilled in them. Used to have pics of them. I'll see if i can find them.
The flocked air filters used to be available at places like TSC, Sears, etc. dealers obviously, But now best luck at few places on line, Ebay etc.

A practice I always did was every time I refueled, I would clean the filter with a soft bristled brush. Still do that. Even on the nylon 4000 style filters. Then when I was at the shop where I could do some better maintenance, I would use compressed air. Only other thing with this midsize Poulan series I do is use the manual oiler a lot. They use a crankcase pressure oiler. So I always got in habit of using the thumb oiler for added assurance. Sorry couldnt find the pics....

Gregg,
Thanks for the reply. The airfilter that was in it had the flocking completely missing. I got a new one from Amazon.
I haven't run the saw much, since I have still been working on it, but my impression is that it pumps too much oil. But maybe i am wrong, and it's normal. There is a small puddle of oil at the bottom after each run. I also see a lot of oil on the bar. But again, i don't have any prior experience with this saw, so don't have any baseline to compare with.
But yes, i will use the manual oiler before letting the blade run dry.
I do plan to use the saw extensively, for the first time, tomorrow. I will find out if it runs out of oil before running out of fuel, or not.
That should be a good indication, I assume.
By the way, the saw is heavy! Fueled up, 19 pounds, compared to my 13 pound 18" 40cc Husky.

Continuing on my previuos post about my 3700:
I adjusted the high speed to 8000, down from a rough adjustment of 9700. I think spec is 8500.
Did the compression test: 120 psi. Low? Maybe acceptable? Othervise I would have to replace the rings, or just not spend any further time & money fixing this saw. Seems to run fine.

Continuing on my previuos post about my 3700:
I adjusted the high speed to 8000, down from a rough adjustment of 9700. I think spec is 8500.
Did the compression test: 120 psi. Low? Maybe acceptable? Othervise I would have to replace the rings, or just not spend any further time & money fixing this saw. Seems to run fine.
Compression is normal, your Craftsman 358.356090 saw is likely a 3800, not a 3700.

They are both great firewood makers!

Compression is normal, your Craftsman 358.356090 saw is likely a 3800, not a 3700.

They are both great firewod makers!
Interesting about the 3800, thanks! For some reason I had settled on it being a 3700. Well, gotta go back researching about the 3800. I knew nothing about this saw, and i want to know everything! :).
I am glad to hear the compression is normal.

Gregg,
I just cut some face mask material & Jerry rig it over the air filter.
Works great!
Easily replace & super cheap fix for those flocked filters.

Prolly filters better than most saw air filters & you prolly have a lifetime supply.
Didn't snap a pic of my other flocked filter poulans with actual masks installed because I'm too lazy but am going to advance the timing on this one & already had it torn down some (I work 84 hours a week).
You get the idea, and keeps your saws Covid FREE to boot! Lol
That's a old used masked BTW (still works great over flocked filters)
20210912_191201.jpg20210912_191211.jpg

LOL Did some more searching, found them filters pic I knew I had. Its a testament to the ruggedness of these old Poulan saws, that they still run good with the lack of care such as this.
View attachment 929251

Gregg,
This is what my filter looked like, and still had 120PSI. Of course, I don't know how much this was run in this condition before i got the saw.
20210905_153034_HDR-01.jpeg

Yours a according to the Sears PN is definitely a 3800. The highest comp on the ones I have was 135 psi or so. New rings won't do much. Good power at that level.

Easy way to tell if it's a 3800 or 3700 is to pull the muffler cover off and look at the piston rings. Thin rings area 3700, thick rings a 3800.

thick ring thin ring.jpg

Back