Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yours a according to the Sears PN is definitely a 3800. The highest comp on the ones I have was 135 psi or so. New rings won't do much. Good power at that level.

Easy way to tell if it's a 3800 or 3700 is to pull the muffler cover off and look at the piston rings. Thin rings area 3700, thick rings a 3800.

View attachment 929253
I pulled the muffler. It does have the thick rings.

I couldn't find the recommended max rpm for my 3800, so unless someone has a number for me, I will try tune it by ear tomorrow (four-stroking method). Erroneously believing the new-to-me saw was a 3700, I set it at 8000rpm (little lower than spec), but i wouldn't count on 3800 being the same.

I couldn't find the recommended max rpm for my 3800, so unless someone has a number for me, I will try tune it by ear tomorrow (four-stroking method). Erroneously believing the new-to-me saw was a 3700, I set it at 8000rpm (little lower than spec), but i wouldn't count on 3800 being the same.
Using the 4 stroke method is the best way to tune ur saw. Willing to bet it will end up higher than 8,000rpm. Thats way too fat. I'm assuming ur referring to out of the cut.

Using the 4 stroke method is the best way to tune ur saw. Willing to bet it will end up higher than 8,000rpm. Thats way too fat. I'm assuming ur referring to out of the cut.
Yeah, i watched some youtube video where it was explained how to adjust out of the cut. So i will do that.

Prolly filters better than most saw air filters & you prolly have a lifetime supply.
Didn't snap a pic of my other flocked filter poulans with actual masks installed because I'm too lazy but am going to advance the timing on this one & already had it torn down some (I work 84 hours a week).
You get the idea, and keeps your saws Covid FREE to boot! Lol
That's a old used masked BTW (still works great over flocked filters)
View attachment 929247View attachment 929249

I had one come in like this for work. I sold him a air filter and ran new lines.

Whole thread on the poulan board of just the blue decal 3.3 http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/poulan/craftsman-3-3-sears-best/

c33aff.jpg

Today was the first real field test for the Craftsman/3800, after restoring the saw (this is from a homeowner occasional user perspective).
I think the saw worked flawlessly, after tuning in the high needle.
It was definitely faster and more powerful than my brand-new Husky 440e.
But the 3800 is heavy! At least, when compared to the Husky. But they worked well together. I used the 3800 for felling, then the Husky for limbing, and then back to the 3800 for cutting down to firewood length.
The 3800 definitely uses way more gas than the Husky, no suprise there.
The idle stayed solid all day, and it always started easily. Except for when it ran out of gas and didn't want to start after refill. I need to figure out how to do that. I let it sit for a while, while using the Husky, and when I tried to start it later, it started just fine.
I believe the bar oil feed was fine. Anytime i added gas, i also added a fair amount of oil. Never noticed any sign of lack of oil on the bar.
20210913_154739_HDR-01.jpeg

Today was the first real field test for the Craftsman/3800, after restoring the saw (this is from a homeowner occasional user perspective).
I think the saw worked flawlessly, after tuning in the high needle.
It was definitely faster and more powerful than my brand-new Husky 440e.
But the 3800 is heavy! At least, when compared to the Husky. But they worked well together. I used the 3800 for felling, then the Husky for limbing, and then back to the 3800 for cutting down to firewood length.
The 3800 definitely uses way more gas than the Husky, no suprise there.
The idle stayed solid all day, and it always started easily. Except for when it ran out of gas and didn't want to start after refill. I need to figure out how to do that. I let it sit for a while, while using the Husky, and when I tried to start it later, it started just fine.
I believe the bar oil feed was fine. Anytime i added gas, i also added a fair amount of oil. Never noticed any sign of lack of oil on the bar.
View attachment 929385

Shouldn't really let it run out. Not real good for a saw they lean out

Shouldn't really let it run out. Not real good for a saw they lean out
Ok, thanks, i didn't know it was bad. I did keep topping off through the day, but i guess i waited too long that one time.
Btw, i was using 50:1 full synthetic gas. That's what the Husky uses, and i didn't want two different mixes. Maybe 40:1 is better? Certainly not the 16:1 the manual calls for, that must be for -80's oil quality :).

Ok, thanks, i didn't know it was bad. I did keep topping off through the day, but i guess i waited too long that one time.
Btw, i was using 50:1 full synthetic gas. That's what the Husky uses, and i didn't want two different mixes. Maybe 40:1 is better? Certainly not the 16:1 the manual calls for, that must be for -80's oil quality :).

50 probably fine. Yeah running out is not going to kill it but should be avoided really also better for the starter pulley not getting a million pulls on it every time it gets re fueled

I know another guy has killed a saw not hearing it run out n screaming for a bit. Was a Mac in that instance a much higher compression 82cc. It probably kept picking up enough fuel to keep running for a while and was very lean. I would imagine the thick ring bare bore poulans are probably a bit more hardy at dealing with that. I certainly feel sad every time I hear my 4000 go lean with no gas

Came in with the parts saws. Prob could be built. Piston looks good. Muffler good, missing recoil side cover.

Just going to part it unless someone wants it for a project.

Poulan 306 handle good shape. Someone ask me for one but cant recall where.

p306.jpgp306z.jpgp306xx.jpgp306p.jpgp306carb.jpgp306mufff.jpg

Attachments

• p306muff.jpg
    p306muff.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 7

Same idea on this one. But i use oem echo line.

This was a 3.3 which is little different since it tucks behin the carb instead of back topof tank like on 34 etc. Guy on the chainsaw repair group FB I was having to show the difference in the older tank and updated tank later tank vents.
= For the guy asking about how the tank vents were. This is the older style used with the 2 line tanks. That will be pulled to inside of tank to top. Extra tucked around carb.

c33tankvent.jpg

I changed my username here to my shop name. Just so you know it still me.

Yesterday working on a black gold 3.3 bare bore that a circlip got loose and locked up. Ruined the p+c. So I cleaned the crankcase flushing and air pressure like I do every time on this. But some how I missed one piece of the broken up circlip.
So the new used 3300 bare bore I put on it and was running for a second also got ruined.

Now here is my question for the poulan brain trust. Going through my parts saws. I found a green poulan with wide muffler case with small 335 3300 bolt pattern in chrome bore 54cc. What green poulan 54cc chrome bore with small bolt pattern, impulse in the case, wide muffler was there. I cant recall myself this saw.

So for now this chrome bore is going on this black gold 3.3. The topend kit is just like the blue black 3.3 and red predator 335. But this was on a green poulan with wide muffler case. :cheers:

@3000 FPS thoughts? I know we have figured out some saws in past.

p33gold.jpgp33c.jpgp33ccc.jpgp33cc.jpgp33cccc.jpg

Latest posts

Back