Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a bit of a clown show with my 3800 the past couple days. :laugh:
After I got the new crank seals in and reassembled everything together for a quick test, I got it started and immediately noticed the difference that the new seals made. Made a small adjustment to the carb/idle and it was idling beautifully, even after letting it sit for several minutes getting warmed up.

All was well, until I decided to try getting some cuts in with it. Almost immediately I was back into the land of pain and suffering with the carb settings being constantly off. It was like I was right back to where I was before putting in new crank seals.
It wasn't until I got frustrated and turned the saw off to seat the hi/lo jets in to start over that I realized what was going on. The lo jet that I set at 1 turn out? It took 2 and 1/4 to turn it back on. The hi was 1 3/4.
The carb screws were vibrating out on their own.
I had this happen to me with my Mac 10-10A after I ran its carb through my ultrasonic cleaner. You could stand there, rev the saw and watch the dumb things turn out.
No big deal, I just put a drop or two of blue threadlocker on each one, set it to 1 lo, 1 1/8 hi and let it sit overnight.

The following day, I got the saw started again and everything was wonderful. The hi jet needed to be turned out just a tiny more, but once I did that I cut a full tank worth of fuel with no issues at all. Runs great, cuts great. Nice firewood saw.
But, of course, after I fueled it up again was when the plastic starter pulley decided to crap out on me. I hadn't noticed it before, but the teeth or whatever that grab hold of the starter pawls were all worn down. Worn to the point that when you give a strong pull, the pawls just slip and chew up the teeth even further.

So that's where I'm at now. 3800 is back to being dead in the water until I can get my hands on one of those pulleys. How's that for bad luck?

Your 3800 have this pulley?

I just sold the bare pulley but have a whole recoil set up left extra.

Poulan 3400 pulley also used in the craftsman 358 saws I got.

p3400pulleys.jpg

Isn't that more than a complete used saw with decent compression is going for.

Or are the 4000s more rare than I think?
Yes Sir, whole saws sell for that much.

You can see some really stupid prices on fleabay, part of it is the auction battles.

I can’t tell the difference (even cutting hard post oaks) between a thin ring 3700 saw with no base gasket & my stock 4000s.

A well sharpened chain & a muffler mod are key parts!

Attachments

• 773CB2AC-F2C1-4EA7-AF1D-0721096EEC61.jpeg
    773CB2AC-F2C1-4EA7-AF1D-0721096EEC61.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 11
Looks like someone been into granny's so called rabbit tobacco. They must be high as a coot asking that price.

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
That's a bid price; not buy it now!
Someone wants it for that price, and out bid at least one other at a slightly lower price.
Seems like several people are smoking the wacky tobaccy.

View attachment 927864

Hey Hotshot, nice muffler mod. Your work? Very nice. Is that heat resistant tape under the cylinder shroud? If so, how thick is it and has it prevented burns/melting during use? Nice Craftsman there, and a nice looking drive cover! Max.
Yes Sir, just bore a hole & braze in a 5/8” copper street ell with the tube end cut off short, using silver solder. High temp VHT header paint. Also have to cut a half moon slice out of the rear cover to clear it.

Lowe's or HD stocks the ells, I used up a box of ten of them now, to muff mod all saws in that series but the 4000s

That tape is Nashua #324A foil tape used in the HVAC industry on ducts, 0.008” thick with the backer still on. 3M makes it too, #425.

The plastic 3400 series top covers will char w/o a piece put on it. Got the idea from Stihl using it on their big saw’s crankcases behind the muffs.

CD99537E-2DAE-4F8A-8F6A-5B45A3743D82.jpeg

I may of finally got my first true parts saw out of all of these I been getting.

This one come to me from MI when guy grove done to by the woods ported 3120 and bunch of bars and chains.

He stated it came with a bunch of saws he got and has been setting for 2 years. So it was past onto me.

Scuffing had started on piston and cylinder which is no biggie for me. Found the cheap line for impulse had slipped off.

Lot of wrong fasteners and where muffler leaked with different bolts too.

The pro side had JB on it and appears almost like it had cut [alms at one time.

So thats where I stopped for now.

c33f.jpgc33ff.jpgc33ffffff.jpgc33ffffffff.jpgc33fffffffffff.jpgc33ffffffffff.jpg

I may of finally got my first true parts saw out of all of these I been getting.

This one come to me from MI when guy grove done to by the woods ported 3120 and bunch of bars and chains.

He stated it came with a bunch of saws he got and has been setting for 2 years. So it was past onto me.

Scuffing had started on piston and cylinder which is no biggie for me. Found the cheap line for impulse had slipped off.

Lot of wrong fasteners and where muffler leaked with different bolts too.

The pro side had JB on it and appears almost like it had cut [alms at one time.

So thats where I stopped for now.

View attachment 928156View attachment 928157View attachment 928158View attachment 928160View attachment 928161View attachment 928162
That clear heatshrink (?) on the handle is unusual?
I have 2 (paid $10 for one) & neither have that stock.
MM, timing advance & rim drive they are excellent saws (as I'm sure you know).
I've owned one for 20 years & they are just SUPER reliable in my experience.
I cut 14 Ricks of wood this year so far with my $10 3.3.

That clear heatshrink (?) on the handle is unusual?
I have 2 (paid $10 for one) & neither have that stock.
MM, timing advance & rim drive they are excellent saws (as I'm sure you know).
I've owned one for 20 years & they are just SUPER reliable in my experience.
I cut 14 Ricks of wood this year so far with my $10 3.3.
14 ricks of wood just out of the top of this Oak.
Measures 16 foot circumference @ the base (I dont own a saw big enough).
IMG_20210603_155239.jpg

The Impulse line comes off regularly.
Bad design?

@Scott r was kind enough to reach out to inform me, the fuel pinch clamps were the way to go...
Wise man as it fixed my issue of constantly pushing the impulse line back on the nipple.
View attachment 928204

Get some of this for impulse line in 3mmx6mm. Never have had it come off in OEM Echo line.

All my handles are black. Must have been pic to think clear.

Have had alot of them. My favorite small saws.
I lost track was 8-9 and somewhere at 9-10 range but started selling them to others to use and collect.

NOS p+c set too.

eline.jpgc33x5zz.jpgp33533nos.jpg

Latest posts

Back