Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the 295 to the point I could try and start it. So far so good.
Air filter is on the way. Made a red neck choke lever for now. Robbed a clutch from a donor. Assuming I find a b&c in my inventory ( or as the wife calls it my junk pile) lol I may be putting it in some wood soon!

Got the 295 running and cutting but not too impressed yet. Kinda doggy. Haven’t given up tho. Gonna check out the inside of the muffler and put the new air filter on when it gets here. It’s make shift at the moment and may be restricting it. Drive sprocket is kinda shot too.
a new sprocket, clutch, b&c would probably help but that’s a lot to sink in to it not knowing what the final outcome will be yet.

Got the 295 running and cutting but not too impressed yet. Kinda doggy. Haven’t given up tho. Gonna check out the inside of the muffler and put the new air filter on when it gets here. It’s make shift at the moment and may be restricting it. Drive sprocket is kinda shot too.
a new sprocket, clutch, b&c would probably help but that’s a lot to sink in to it not knowing what the final outcome will be yet.
Yeah, I find most Poulans respond well to a muffler mod or ripping the guts out. Careful the extra exhaust flow doesn't melt something like the case or break leaver though. Ask me how I know.

I have a 30 bar that I'm thinking about using. The filter was starting to have some holes in the fuzz around the top so I put a new one on. The piston and cylinder are as new looking as I have seen. With this saw I now have 4 that are one owner and about as nice as can be found. 5200 5400 8500 and a 5.2

Howdy all,
I just purchased a 5400 and have a few questions
I need rings or a piston and rings is LRB piston and rings any good? Also will boysen reeds for pioneer work? If not where can I get material to make them? Is the carb governed? if so can it be bypassed? I'm goiong to remove base gasket and port it while I have it tore down.Thanks for any and all responses/info

First off glad you are a 5400 owner, it's my favorite. I have some rings. Second I have some reeds. Third carb is governed and can be fixed. What do you want to delete the base gasket for, don't think you will see gains that are worth it, might sound or feel different but I would not do it without trying it out first then make sure you aren't going to hurt it. Piston and cylinder are hard to find.20220323_205452.jpg

First off glad you are a 5400 owner, it's my favorite. I have some rings. Second I have some reeds. Third carb is governed and can be fixed. What do you want to delete the base gasket for, don't think you will see gains that are worth it, might sound or feel different but I would not do it without trying it out first then make sure you aren't going to hurt it. Piston and cylinder are hard to find.View attachment 975812
I'm not deleting the base gasket itself and expecting to notice it's going to get a good woods port including the carb and muffler thinking about building a short pipe so the base gasket delete will add to the total it has .055 squish now. Would you be willing to part with a set of rings? I will gladly pay you for them and shipping. Thanks

I'm not deleting the base gasket itself and expecting to notice it's going to get a good woods port including the carb and muffler thinking about building a short pipe so the base gasket delete will add to the total it has .055 squish now. Would you be willing to part with a set of rings? I will gladly pay you for them and shipping. Thanks
I found a dead mouse in my 5200 muffler ,who had stored his decon in there. How much you gonna "port" it ? Dead rat size?

Back