Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question about poulan recoil parts, I have a 3700 I need a recoil pulley for, I've noticed that it is different from the 3400 I have. After searching I found this thread and after reading a lot of it I've read that the 4000 pulley should work with the 3700 flywheel, at $50 plus shipping I'd like to hear it from someone who has made the swap. Thanks to all that have shed some light and shared their info.
Welcome to the Poulan thread Mr-Greg58, there is a ton of info here for those of us that still enjoy using Poulan saws.

I don't understand why some people don't like the poulans, I guess they only think of the newer saws from the big box stores. I bought the 3700 in January of 1984 to clear the land for our house, I could not ask any better service from it. I've cut firewood with it since, it's still a great saw.
Welcome, and don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I too bought my first Poulan, a 3400 brand new in 1986. Still have the owners manual for that one also.
I tried the "Husky recoil pulley repair earlier this summer, on one of my 4000's. It worked great! If ya can't find a real one.

Gregg,

I don't understand why some people don't like the poulans, I guess they only think of the newer saws from the big box stores. I bought the 3700 in January of 1984 to clear the land for our house, I could not ask any better service from it. I've cut firewood with it since, it's still a great saw.
I don’t understand it either. I just like chainsaws. I have an old Poulan, two old McCullochs, and a brand-new Stihl. I also have a Husqvarna weed eater, a Stihl hedge trimmer, and a Poulan Pro leaf blower. They’re all awesome tools and do what I need them to when I need them to. Well, I bought the McCullochs as projects, but I’ll get them there. I have a little Poulan 2250 and it rips for a little guy.

Another idea I have seen some do is swap a 3400 style flywheel on 4000 that sounds like might be like your 3700 one. Then run that 3400 fly and pulley together.

Got a 4000 in that was done like that once.

View attachment 1040862

My 3400 to 4000 still runs the 3400 starter. I have the proper bits thanks to Todd but I haven't needed to swap yet. Just be gentle and load it up before pulling

My 3400 to 4000 still runs the 3400 starter. I have the proper bits thanks to Todd but I haven't needed to swap yet. Just be gentle and load it up before pulling
That 4000 left with 3400 set up but also gave new owner the 4000 complete recoil set. Just in case he wanted to put a 4000 flywheel on it someday.

It was one of the lower 4000 psi ones I had.

p4000fs.jpg

Another idea I have seen some do is swap a 3400 style flywheel on 4000 that sounds like might be like your 3700 one. Then run that 3400 fly and pulley together.

Got a 4000 in that was done like that once.

View attachment 1040862
I've done that but those pulleys are gettin almost impossible to find.

Has a 4000 ring supply been sorted?
I sold all my NOS and used 4000 rings. So going by folks asking me for them. Guess that might still be a no.

Add to above. I just got this one in and looked like past owner did a base delete. I bought it for worst case parts saw. But she runs with some parts added.

So it waits for new owner or to maybe get parted someday.

p4000psi4.jpg

Give a 4000 a chance and it will hog all the cutting. The handle doesn't seem to let go of your hand, some kind of grabitall on it. Only time I was able to let go was when I was getting another 4000 out of the truck. Didn't seem to care as long as you have a 4000 in your hand. True story right there. Same thing with Santa, less than 10 days and he is going to sneak in your house. If you don't believe me just ask the little kids, they know all about him. Enjoy everyone.

Well I have given up on the small craftoulan for now. Zero oil still and for the moment I'm sick of looking at it. Going to look though my other saws and see if I can find parts to swap the next time I mess with it. I hate it because it runs awesome. I think maybe the second check valve is hanging up or clogged beyond repair. I can get air through it but it seems to take a lot.
On the bright side the medium and larger craftoulans seem to be rocking steady at the moment. May have to put one mount on the 3400.
I did get the proper choke lever for the larger one so I can take the redneckified one off now.
( Never have determined if it was a 3700, 3800 or 4000 version) I sure like it tho. Had to take the carb off it again as it had a speck under the needle. It was unreal how much fuel it dumped in with just a few pulls. It didn't drip out, it ran out in a stream!
Runs as it should again now.
View attachment VID_20221210_163011457.mp4

Well I have given up on the small craftoulan for now. Zero oil still and for the moment I'm sick of looking at it. Going to look though my other saws and see if I can find parts to swap the next time I mess with it. I hate it because it runs awesome. I think maybe the second check valve is hanging up or clogged beyond repair. I can get air through it but it seems to take a lot.
On the bright side the medium and larger craftoulans seem to be rocking steady at the moment. May have to put one mount on the 3400.
I did get the proper choke lever for the larger one so I can take the redneckified one off now.
( Never have determined if it was a 3700, 3800 or 4000 version) I sure like it tho. Had to take the carb off it again as it had a speck under the needle. It was unreal how much fuel it dumped in with just a few pulls. It didn't drip out, it ran out in a stream!
Runs as it should again now.
View attachment 1041407
I see that McCulloch in the background! Nice!

Latest posts

Back