Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, Ya old fart!:D I been pretty lucky lately, NOT buying 3400's. They are hard to resist though. Porting one is a good way to practice your skills though. I wallered out the exhaust port on one once, to the size of a 4000. Ran fine, allways wanted to go back in and try some other stuff. Just havn't done it yet.

I saw that 505 too, was VERY curious, but didn't bid on it. So it wasn't me that got it. LOL When I saw that, I thought thats right up Mark's ally. He has a number of those Poulan Pros, and don't think he had a 505 yet. Maybe he does now.:) I do have a Poulan Farm Pro 375 coming though, and a 306, finally.
:cheers:
Gregg,

No Greg, no 505.:hmm3grin2orange:

Not when I got 2 475's here already but thats going to change in the near future and I'll be down to only one of them.

I think I might shed a 5200 in the future as well.

Just don't need to keep that many duplicates.

So what do you guys think of the price that the 505 ended up at?

Low, too high or what?

Big saw, good saw and one you don't find everyday.

I was watching it to kinda gauge what the 475 should bring and personally I wasn't surprised at what it brought. Kinda right in line where I thought it should bring, assuming it was a good one.

well fellers i took and findly found me a air filter at a dealer in town i got tired of waiting on the air filter i bougt on e-bay.and when i went a payed 7.00 bucks for a air filter and then i got home and there was the one i ordered off of e-bay lol so now i have a spare air filter so now it's time to wear this saw out and keep her running for a long time lol

I was surprised how strong the one being given away in the fundraiser thread is. That got my attention. I assume these are reed saws?

Yes they are reed valve saws. Just my opinion but I would suggest the S25DA over the CVA for one main reason. The antivibe mounts are NLA and are old enough to have problems with.

Yes they vibrate a little being non CVA versions, but not that bad really, especially the way you would use it mostly for play anyway.

Hi Guys, been a long time since I was around. Last situation was concerns over the fuel venting on a 3500 which certainly is not as shown on IPL.
There was discussion that it might be hidden on the side of the tank as some other models and I was going to tear it down till I could get at that location. But got busy with other issues.
Time arrived to put up some equipment away.
I tried to fire up the 3500 and it just would not perform, sluggish, hesitant to rev and not going to full throttle.
Well, temps had dropped considerably since the last time I fired up and as I opened fuel tank I heard the release of vacuum. It then fired up fine for a short run.
These 3500 definitely need the fuel vent added. The lack of it causing lean running resulting in scored piston and froze ring are now very obvious.
So if you talk to a Poulan tech and he insists the parts shown on IPL are not needed don't listen to him.
If you play with carb settings you may reach a point where it runs fairly well, but it is now obvious to me that the first part of the fill would then be rich and the longer you run it without checking fuel level the leaner it will get. And then damaged piston, ring, and possibly cylinder wall.

I think I rembember that story before and I have found out some more since then. The IPLs are different years for those saws and you would need the rigth year IPL for them.

They had the tank vent in two different places on them. One was a hole in the top of the tank with a duckbill on it like a 3400 and the other is in the tank on the side behind a bronze breather like on some Homelite saws. The rear tank/handle assy would have to be removed to service that.

Is the 38cc topend a direct replacement on the 33cc saws?

I'm not sure, I think so though. I could check the IPLs

Got my 2900 on Monday, saw is really clean, haven't checked it out other then the P&C which are mint. Chain is a replacement Carlton.

Picture614.jpg

Picture615.jpg

A big Thank You to Ohio Gregg, the new decals look awsome on the 4000.

Picture616.jpg

Dave, that 2900 is very nice!

Like I said I think there pretty good saws. It should have a chrome bore if I'm not mistaken.

It will need a muffler mod to really show what it has and even then a 20" bar is quite optimistic on any 46cc saw.

Put a 16" on it when you get the chance.

nice!!!

Got my 2900 on Monday, saw is really clean, haven't checked it out other then the P&C which are mint. Chain is a replacement Carlton.

Picture614.jpg

Picture615.jpg

i saw that saw it was on my watch list just forgot all about it didnt the guy say the bar had burs or somthing??? wow its clean !!!!nice 4000 dude!!!! how is that brand spanking new 25da ya got run???? i wish i could see that in person man!!!!!i see a few microws in there!!!! any that are scored? i have one the case was broke up but the piston and everything is good i been looking for a 2000 or 1800 parts saw for a few weeks!!!!that farm hand looks mighty nice!!!

saw this one to

ive been watchin it too it jumped up from 5 bucks to 36 fast LOL i was like wow its staying low for a long time! peeked back at it it jumped fast its a clean one for sure!!!! after i get rid of some that i dont want now i got them running im going to be on the hunt for a clean 25da like this!!! and a clean 4000 might be nice to LOL:hmm3grin2orange:

Dave, that 2900 is very nice!

Like I said I think there pretty good saws. It should have a chrome bore if I'm not mistaken.

It will need a muffler mod to really show what it has and even then a 20" bar is quite optimistic on any 46cc saw.

Put a 16" on it when you get the chance.

Right you are Mark, the bore chrome.

I figure lose the spark arrester, and drill the baffle holes as big as I can and open the opening a bit bigger on the muffler.

i saw that saw it was on my watch list just forgot all about it didnt the guy say the bar had burs or somthing??? wow its clean !!!!nice 4000 dude!!!! how is that brand spanking new 25da ya got run???? i wish i could see that in person man!!!!!i see a few microws in there!!!! any that are scored? i have one the case was broke up but the piston and everything is good i been looking for a 2000 or 1800 parts saw for a few weeks!!!!that farm hand looks mighty nice!!!

Stubnail you need micro parts??? I have 12 of em and about 6 of em that are basically parts scrapers, let me know, I got grey craftsmans, red craftsmans, and few green poulans. Also have a few older points micros.

Also on the 2900, the a few drive teeth on the chain had burrs, I'll likely replace it with some Oregon LPX.

71A worth grabbing?

A fellow about an hour from me has a 71A for sale. According to Mike Acres site they are 93cc's but look to be older than the purported 1970-75 years of manufacture given it looks to be sand cast. He is asking 85 clams for a non runner... Any thoughts?

Poulan71A.jpg

I recently came across a 3450 I couldn't refuse. Supposed to run, I was told. Well I can't pass that up, right?
Got it home knowing it needed a muffler cover, maybe a new (or a different) bar and chain, and some TLC, which means about two cans of brake cleaner. Piston looked good from the exhaust side. Ring looked free, pulled over a little weak, but OK. Checked compression in the shop, only 70 lbs. OK, that explains the melted hole in the top cover, saw was ran with the muffler loose, and probably lean as well. Pulled cylinder, found some deposits, and the three piece ring setup, as in one ring in three pieces. Cylinder OK, not impressed with the chroming, but its all there yet. After some clean up on the piston, I noticed what we'll call todays lesson, but I'm sorry for the crappy cell phones pics. And remember I really think these saws are OK, and such mistakes happen even with more expensive saws. What do you folks see wrong?
url] piston-1.jpeg
url] piston-2.jpeg

For some reason, I can't get the pictures to show up. PM me with instructions, please.

sweet!

Stubnail you need micro parts??? I have 12 of em and about 6 of em that are basically parts scrapers, let me know, I got grey craftsmans, red craftsmans, and few green poulans. Also have a few older points micros.

Also on the 2900, the a few drive teeth on the chain had burrs, I'll likely replace it with some Oregon LPX.

cool man i will be gettin with ya after i go out and check it out again!

dremel?

I recently came across a 3450 I couldn't refuse. Supposed to run, I was told. Well I can't pass that up, right?
Got it home knowing it needed a muffler cover, maybe a new (or a different) bar and chain, and some TLC, which means about two cans of brake cleaner. Piston looked good from the exhaust side. Ring looked free, pulled over a little weak, but OK. Checked compression in the shop, only 70 lbs. OK, that explains the melted hole in the top cover, saw was ran with the muffler loose, and probably lean as well. Pulled cylinder, found some deposits, and the three piece ring setup, as in one ring in three pieces. Cylinder OK, not impressed with the chroming, but its all there yet. After some clean up on the piston, I noticed what we'll call todays lesson, but I'm sorry for the crappy cell phones pics. And remember I really think these saws are OK, and such mistakes happen even with more expensive saws. What do you folks see wrong?
url] piston-1.jpeg
url] piston-2.jpeg

For some reason, I can't get the pictures to show up. PM me with instructions, please.

*shrugs* a dremel grinded on piston????? LOL sorry i give what?:hmm3grin2orange:

url] piston-1.jpeg
url] piston-2.jpeg

Yep crappy pictures but I understand that. So your trying to show that the piston was on backwards? Yep that happens. The Ridgid 590 that I got recently someone had done the same thing to it. Sucks.

Looks like you might just get away with a new ring? Hope thats all. That saw is the same as the Poulan Pro 330 just so you know so the muffler cover from a 3450, 3750 Poulan Pro 330 and Super 380 will work. There were different types though so you may have to swap the whole works, not just the outer muffler cover. What ever you end up with, mod the hell out of it before it goes back on.

The top cyl cover from the other 3 saws I mentioned should work as well. When you get it up and running PM me and I'll tell you about the bar and chain.

A fellow about an hour from me has a 71A for sale. According to Mike Acres site they are 93cc's but look to be older than the purported 1970-75 years of manufacture given it looks to be sand cast. He is asking 85 clams for a non runner... Any thoughts?

Poulan71A.jpg

Thats up to you to decide to grab or not, but look at my sig. I like mine for fun, but its a heavy old saw still.

I wouldnt give that for it unless it had a very good P/C but with the exhaust stack on it you can look right in at it so its easy to see.

They have the Fairbanks Morse starters on them and if you know them you know they can be frustrating when worn.

On the bright side, there over 90cc, loud as hell and pull like a freight train. They also have a auto oiler, one of the few sand cast models that do.

No Greg, no 505.:hmm3grin2orange:

Not when I got 2 475's here already but thats going to change in the near future and I'll be down to only one of them.

I think I might shed a 5200 in the future as well.

Just don't need to keep that many duplicates.

So what do you guys think of the price that the 505 ended up at?

Low, too high or what?

Big saw, good saw and one you don't find everyday.

I was watching it to kinda gauge what the 475 should bring and personally I wasn't surprised at what it brought. Kinda right in line where I thought it should bring, assuming it was a good one.

Yea, I agree it went where I though it would. I had a price of $350 in my head and figure I'd stop there. Looked to be in great shape and comp at 180. Oh well I saved myself some money for a saw I really didn't need.
Bob

Yes, the piston was on backwards from the factory. What difference it makes, IDK, but they put the little arrow on the piston for reasons other than to practice. Assembled in the USA. (On a Monday lol) World of difference between these saws and the 3300/3700/4000 saws IMHO. After a new ring, gasket set, bolts, and all the pieces to the muffler except the back shell, I still spent only $8.53 more than what the shipping cost. It runs well. A good saw. Will it last as long as the 4000. No. Way. End of discussion.

Back