Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Craftsman 2.3(358.353671)

New saw arrived this evening. Was a" buy it now" and it looked so good I bit. Saw is in great shape. Has some differances from the S25DA's. No manual oiler button, kill switch is a slide lever, No AV on throttle handle but there is a buffer on top handle. I imagine its 38cc. 16 in bar and a chain that's fairly well used. Likely built later than the S25's as it doesn't have as much metal. EX. Appears to be a plastic fuel tank inside body of saw. Will see how it runs tomorrow.
Bob

PS> If I knew how to open pictures I would. Never have been able to do so even under the old format.

Yes, the piston was on backwards from the factory. What difference it makes, IDK, but they put the little arrow on the piston for reasons other than to practice. Assembled in the USA. (On a Monday lol) World of difference between these saws and the 3300/3700/4000 saws IMHO. After a new ring, gasket set, bolts, and all the pieces to the muffler except the back shell, I still spent only $8.53 more than what the shipping cost. It runs well. A good saw. Will it last as long as the 4000. No. Way. End of discussion.

Well we can agree to disagree then.

I can think of alot of things on that series of saws that I actually like better.

New saw arrived this evening. Was a" buy it now" and it looked so good I bit. Saw is in great shape. Has some differances from the S25DA's. No manual oiler button, kill switch is a slide lever, No AV on throttle handle but there is a buffer on top handle. I imagine its 38cc. 16 in bar and a chain that's fairly well used. Likely built later than the S25's as it doesn't have as much metal. EX. Appears to be a plastic fuel tank inside body of saw. Will see how it runs tomorrow.
Bob

PS> If I knew how to open pictures I would. Never have been able to do so even under the old format.

Bob, what you have there is a Poulan 2300AV. A souped up 38cc Micro XXV.

I had one just like it at one time but got talked out of it. I have a green one here that I plan to get to someday.

hmmm

OK Thanks Mark. Didn't think of the 2300AV as I thought the 2300AV throttle handle had AV buffers.
Bob

so does this saw only have one piston ring like all the micros ive seen so far or maybe it has 2? that would be cool !!!! seems like there is so many ways these saws came out with!!!!!Im sure mark knows or maybe you have peeked at it already???? id like to know i have a few of them locally i was looking at !!!

Well we can agree to disagree then.

I can think of alot of things on that series of saws that I actually like better.

Please expand on your thoughts. No, the silly antivibe buffers, at least the rubber ones underneath the saw are not better. Neither is the carb in a box setup, or the impulse line and them cheesey clamps. Plastic, plastic, plastic. Clutch is nowhere near as robust, not only as the earlier series, but as the competition in this size. The air cleaner is better, single ring isn't as good (some will debate that but I have spoken my thoughts), handles are a wash. I might keep this saw in the stable, but its not the Efco/Deere CS-52 or 56. Or a 3300. But I did lean on it some the second tank, and it didn't mind much. I would take two of these instead of one 290.

No Greg, no 505.:hmm3grin2orange:

Not when I got 2 475's here already but thats going to change in the near future and I'll be down to only one of them.

I think I might shed a 5200 in the future as well.

Just don't need to keep that many duplicates.

So what do you guys think of the price that the 505 ended up at?

Low, too high or what?

Big saw, good saw and one you don't find everyday.

I was watching it to kinda gauge what the 475 should bring and personally I wasn't surprised at what it brought. Kinda right in line where I thought it should bring, assuming it was a good one.

Mark, The 505 is probably a great saw. Was more than I wanted to pay for one though. Maybe if was like NEW condition, a different story.;)

That being said, I WOULD pay that for a dandy 5200!!!! LOL

:cheers:
Gregg,

A fellow about an hour from me has a 71A for sale. According to Mike Acres site they are 93cc's but look to be older than the purported 1970-75 years of manufacture given it looks to be sand cast. He is asking 85 clams for a non runner... Any thoughts?

Poulan71A.jpg

ModifiedMark pretty much covered the good and bad with that saw. If the cyl/piston are good, I'd grab it in a heartbeat. I have ran Mark's 71A, and its a hoot to run! I don't think I would want to use one for a work saw, but for GTG's and for fun, its great. Just be sure to wear some hearing protection!!! LOL

Gregg,

Yes, the piston was on backwards from the factory. What difference it makes, IDK, but they put the little arrow on the piston for reasons other than to practice. Assembled in the USA. (On a Monday lol) World of difference between these saws and the 3300/3700/4000 saws IMHO. After a new ring, gasket set, bolts, and all the pieces to the muffler except the back shell, I still spent only $8.53 more than what the shipping cost. It runs well. A good saw. Will it last as long as the 4000. No. Way. End of discussion.

I have a Poulan Pro Super 380, 60cc version of that saw. The 380 has a chrome cyl. and unplated piston. I actually use it a lot!!! The 4000 is still my favorite, but the 380 is lighter, handy, great running saw. I run a 20" bar on mine. I love the adjustable oiler on the 380 also. I've not owned any of the green versions of these saws, but like Mark said, you can easily swap parts among them. As far as which will last longer? Beats me, Given any care at all, they will all probably outlast me.:D

Gregg,

Bob

2 3/16 cu in = 35.8 cc on the side of that red Craftsman.:popcorn:

I think the normal(?) Poulan S25CVA is listed on Acres' site as 38cc or 2.3 cu in.

Still waiting on gasket and trigger for mine (s25cva). :cry: The pup has good compression (150psi), spark and the handle + wrap are fully rubber mounted. I also have a gray Craftsman 358.355061 in same configuration but poor compression (130psi).

I hate waiting for parts.

I guess I'll take something else apart.

2 3/16 cu in = 35.8 cc on the side of that red Craftsman.:popcorn:

I think the normal(?) Poulan S25CVA is listed on Acres' site as 38cc or 2.3 cu in.

Still waiting on gasket and trigger for mine (s25cva). :cry: The pup has good compression (150psi), spark and the handle + wrap are fully rubber mounted. I also have a gray Craftsman 358.355061 in same configuration but poor compression (130psi).

I hate waiting for parts.

I guess I'll take something else apart.

You must have a differant variant as there is no cc # listed on my saw. I also have the Operators manual/IPL and all it offers is 2.3 ci. Don't see cc's anywhere.
Bob

hey fellers anyone got a walbro HDB-8 carb for a 3800 poulan i got parts for a poulan xxv micro limb saw i can trade.

oh ok thanks i'll see if anyone has one on here before i take and pay a parts place for one.i know the one i got on it now is completely worn out.i tired 2 rebulid kits and it still not helped it.

Last edited:
well i just checked chainsawr.com and they are sold out and don't know when they are goin to get more in

S25 CVA (early) Oil Pump

I need oil pump diaphram and gaskets for what looks like an early S25 CVA. The pump is under the flywheel.

From the IPL dated in '77:
56-gasket-----------------19053
36-diaphram---------------22124
20-filter-----------------23698
34-gasket-----------------19054
63-'O'ring-----------------1952--------I may have one that fits.
28-quad ring--------------19029

Can someone direct me to supporting vendor for a one stop shopping visit?

Thanks fellas.
Carl.

S25 CVA (early) Short Story Long.

Was re-assembling my tophandle this morning and S.O.P. poured a teaspoon or two of 2 stroke oil over the rod and main bearings before installing the reed plate and top cover. Proceeded to add parts being carefull to keep the crankcase end down. Was tightening up the kill switch when I noticed blue oil on the newspaper under the engine. Looked closer and it was coming from the oil pump. :censored:

Oil was seeping out the crankcase signal hole and past the edge of the pump diaphram. Disassembled it and there was no gasket, just the diaphram to seal the cover to the pump body. Gasket is Unobtainum I understand.

And I thought I would have that pup running this afternoon.

pics?

Was re-assembling my tophandle this morning and S.O.P. poured a teaspoon or two of 2 stroke oil over the rod and main bearings before installing the reed plate and top cover. Proceeded to add parts being carefull to keep the crankcase end down. Was tightening up the kill switch when I noticed blue oil on the newspaper under the engine. Looked closer and it was coming from the oil pump. :censored:

Oil was seeping out the crankcase signal hole and past the edge of the pump diaphram. Disassembled it and there was no gasket, just the diaphram to seal the cover to the pump body. Gasket is Unobtainum I understand.

And I thought I would have that pup running this afternoon.

how about some pics???

Back