Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to find a piston for the one I have under the bench. :cry:

If you find a piston....be sure to note whether or not it has ring locators. You will need the appropriate rings for the type piston you use as a replacement.

The aforementioned requires piston rings with a small "notch" in them to fit underneath the pin/stop in the ring groove.

I know a source for new pistons, but you could buy a "parts" saw for less money.

New cylinders can still be had for under $20.00 (until M&D discovers they are selling them too cheap). ;)

Hope you get yours running. Its a shame to have one sitting idle.

Flint.

I don't have one but I can maybe scrounge one. I know this dude....

I bet you know a lot of dudes Chris. I sure would like to have you for a neighbor my friend!

If you find a piston....be sure to note whether or not it has ring locators. You will need the appropriate rings for the type piston you use as a replacement.

The aforementioned requires piston rings with a small "notch" in them to fit underneath the pin/stop in the ring groove.

I know a source for new pistons, but you could buy a "parts" saw for less money.

New cylinders can still be had for under $20.00 (until M&D discovers they are selling them too cheap). ;)

Flint.

Yeah I've located a few new ones here and there but out of the price range I could see putting into this saw. I would like to add it to the running list though. Perhaps I'll get a new one sometime when I'm flush with cash sometime in the future. :)

My best friend is trying to do some reserecting we got a 5200 that is still making power and running but it has a scored p&c anyone got one or know where I might go to get one?

My best friend is trying to do some reserecting we got a 5200 that is still making power and running but it has a scored p&c anyone got one or know where I might go to get one?

Good luck, they are extremely hard to come by. How bad is the scoring? Can it be cleaned up and used? Maybe if you posted a picture of the P&C we could comment.

Bobi

Flint.

Right you are Flint. I've got four and none have locater pins. I locate ring ends on the flywheel side, obviously seperating them by an inch or so. I presume this is how you do it w/o the pins.
Bob

They are just like gold and can be found at the same spot AT THE END OF THE RAINBOW!!

I MIGHT know a guy that could clean that up for you!;)

Mike

I haven't really checked it out this saw used to be my partners favorite, he told me he pulled the muffler and saw scoring but she still makes power and runs. That's not saying much cause I have seen some pretty bad cylinders, run and make power, when you would think they wouldn't. I will pull it down and see what I can find I maybe doing some clean up with the old muritic acid .
However that begs the question if I get the cylinder cleaned up where do I go for a piston. Maybe a better question what piston that is still avaliable will interchange.

Well I finally got around to doing some work on my 8500. The oiler was not working and it was leaking oil pretty bad. I found the gasket had a tear in it . I used a little Permatex after cleaning it well and put it back together and the oiler was still not putting any oil out. I took it back off and I could see nothing wrong with the oiler. The clutch assembly uses 2 washers. A thick one and a thin one. I check the on line IPL and discovered that they were on wrong. I put the thrust washer where it belonged after completely tearing the oiler down and cleaning everything. Bingo I have oil flow. My neighbor had a 3' red oak get blown over in the series of storms we had and it was still laying in his front yard just waiting on a Poulan 8500 to come along and cut it up. This saw just snorted right through this oak with no problems at all. The saw may not be as fast as my 066 Stihl, and even though it's a few cc's smaller, I do believe it's got a lot more low end torque. It has a 32"bar with .404" pitch chain and with it buried, I really had to lay on it to get it to slow down. I was smiling on my way home:msp_thumbup:
I did order a new complete gasket set for it and plan on replacing the torn oil pump gasket and seals. I also found a set of NOS rings for it and went ahead and got them also. The piston looks good through the exhaust port, but I could only get about 138 psi of compression. The saw is in to good of shape I woulds think to have worn rings, my gauge my be off. I have dropped it a few times. The piston uses thin rings and was wondering if maybe that would have any bearings on the what seems to me, kind of a low compression reading. When pulling it to start it seem a lot more than 138 psi to me

I haven't really checked it out this saw used to be my partners favorite, he told me he pulled the muffler and saw scoring but she still makes power and runs. That's not saying much cause I have seen some pretty bad cylinders, run and make power, when you would think they wouldn't. I will pull it down and see what I can find I maybe doing some clean up with the old muritic acid .
However that begs the question if I get the cylinder cleaned up where do I go for a piston. Maybe a better question what piston that is still avaliable will interchange.

You already have a piston!

Mike

never underestimate the rmsmoparman's magic...

NO! NO! disrespect intended, I really appreciate the offer I just mean every once in a while something he posts makes me smile, unfortunately I pulled that cylinder down, bad deep grooves I mean really bad looks like something went for a ride inside the cylinder for awhile. The only way I could see fixing it would be to bore it out rechrome it and maybe find a piston of some kind to fit.

2300av

Hey guys...

I'll probably get flamed for this, BUT :check:

I got this saw with a bunch of others... it cleaned up nice, and I heard that the POWER on these was pretty damn good.

attachment.php

I thought it odd to be SO clean, with seemingly low hrs (the factory paint is still on most of the muffler) and have play in the lower end bearings....

knowing other saws, and what is required to keep the integrity of the seals, I would think that this is NOT so good...

It seems to tune ok, and run GOOD till it gets warm...then it will almost only run with the choke half on. not sure if it's the carb or not, BUT, presuming the seals get warm, and soft...

it pulls 130psi... should I pitch it outside and work on something more exciting, or swap the top end to the newer craftsman version that has a scored piston?? :check:

Jay

I know alot of parts from husky's will work on this saw, is it possible I already have husky parts that will work here? Honestly my experience with what will and won't work on a poulan saw is limited. I would appreciate any secret formula you might have to get this saw going again. I got lot's of husky parts on hand, and what I don't have I will get.

They are just like gold and can be found at the same spot AT THE END OF THE RAINBOW!!

A friend gave me his 4900 with bad P&C several years back. Been watching for parts for all those years.

Today my really nice 5200 P&C arrived from an ebay seller on the left coast.

I am about to be the owner of two 5200's.

Keep watching everywhere, you never know what will pop-up.

May do a resto., can anyone provide info on paint and decals?

Well I finally got around to doing some work on my 8500. The oiler was not working and it was leaking oil pretty bad. I found the gasket had a tear in it . I used a little Permatex after cleaning it well and put it back together and the oiler was still not putting any oil out. I took it back off and I could see nothing wrong with the oiler. The clutch assembly uses 2 washers. A thick one and a thin one. I check the on line IPL and discovered that they were on wrong. I put the thrust washer where it belonged after completely tearing the oiler down and cleaning everything. Bingo I have oil flow. My neighbor had a 3' red oak get blown over in the series of storms we had and it was still laying in his front yard just waiting on a Poulan 8500 to come along and cut it up. This saw just snorted right through this oak with no problems at all. The saw may not be as fast as my 066 Stihl, and even though it's a few cc's smaller, I do believe it's got a lot more low end torque. It has a 32"bar with .404" pitch chain and with it buried, I really had to lay on it to get it to slow down. I was smiling on my way home:msp_thumbup:
I did order a new complete gasket set for it and plan on replacing the torn oil pump gasket and seals. I also found a set of NOS rings for it and went ahead and got them also. The piston looks good through the exhaust port, but I could only get about 138 psi of compression. The saw is in to good of shape I woulds think to have worn rings, my gauge my be off. I have dropped it a few times. The piston uses thin rings and was wondering if maybe that would have any bearings on the what seems to me, kind of a low compression reading. When pulling it to start it seem a lot more than 138 psi to me

Thanks for the upadate Chuck. Your story sounds alot like most others after running one of these 85cc Poulans. :msp_rolleyes:

You can also see why I said that guy begging for the Mac was wanting the wrong saw. :smile2:

You may want to check your compression gauge as it could be off as those numbers seem a hair low for the looks of that saw but dont forget that is a reed valve saw and will run very well at the compression you speak of.

Back