Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 bucks at a yard sale, and it said dremel on it, meh. Worth a grab. Same day I got some snapon diesel analyser tool for three bucks.

Heck, I might just use files and save the dremel for the final bits and smoothing. I don't intend to remove much anyway....

It doesn't take much on the Wild Things. They wake up nicely with a good muffler mod.

Here's what I picked up in the Poulan line today:

100_1003.jpg

100_1002.jpg

100_1005.jpg

Your comments are appreciated. It appears to be complete, down to the cylindrical air filter. The compression is unreal. I normally drop start my 75cc Shinny and I wouldn't dream of trying that with this beast. It has to be over 180 psi.

Most of us here don't earn a living using a chainsaw, in fact many of us are retired. I might have a different position if I did but knowing how I am and that I would work on my own equipment I probably would still opt for the Poulan. Most of my cutting with the DA was firewood cutting but I've cut a bunch, I never noticed much difference between the anti-vibe and the others except the anti-vibe felt looser. I do have some saws with a brake on them but I don't remember ever using it. You are probably right about OSHA. I don't know many areas of our lives that government doesn't control..I don't consider that a good thing.
Have you ever used a 200T? I'm not knocking the Poulan top handles at all. I like the old American made saws as much as anyone here, but like I said before, If Poulan was still making saws in Shrevport in this day and age their top handle saws would not even resemble the ones made in the past except in color only.

Have you ever used a 200T? I'm not knocking the Poulan top handles at all. I like the old American made saws as much as anyone here, but like I said before, If Poulan was still making saws in Shrevport in this day and age their top handle saws would not even resemble the ones made in the past except in color only.

Chuck I understand exactly where your coming from and your correct.

Like I said in the other thread, much as I respect the Poulan S25's, they should never have even been brought up in that other thread to begin with.

No other top handle saw from that era would be even be thought of being used by a serious climber today. I'll go one farther and say probably none over 10 years old should even be considered for a man making his living with one.

Not that there are many that are more powerful or such over a good S25, but like you said they have improvements in safety features and such. They also have dealer support and parts available which is critical.

As far as the top handles being used on the ground that is just some pure bullshat that I never even heard about it till I found this place. That stuff is just from these so call tree pros and wannabe tree pros who want to feal superior to the rest and make themself feel better for taking such a high risk job and be so underpaid for doing it. :laugh:

Especially the ones doing it for someone else and not there own business.

Like I have said before Poulan designed and marketed the Micro XXV's especially for homeowners, farmers and such. Do you think Poulan thought all those folks would only use them in a tree? Dont be silly, Homelite, McCulloch etc all had consumer saws in top handle configurations as well.

My first firewood saw was a S25CVA and we never had a clue we shouldnt use it on the ground and to tell the truth I still dont except when I come here.

Y'all can negative rep me if you like for the Poulan comment that nearly started a war in that other thread. It was more of a silly comment, but then it got heated.

On another topic, Oregon doesn't list bars available for a 655. Am I correct in thinking they are D196 bars? What are you guys using for say a 32-36" bar? Could I just use a Stihl bar and a husky bar adapter plate like Bailey's sells? I think I would have to drill the holes just a bit larger(9.5mm Poulan vs. 9.0 for the Husky) but I don't know for certain.

Nick

I've never used a 200T but guess what, I own an 020T. Not used it much yet but I will this Fall along with other saws. I really wasn't wanting it to come off like I was knocking the little Stihls, just kinda wondering what the big fuss is about. I've looked this 020 of mine over and although it's unique it just doesn't look nearly as heavy duty as the Poulan and I doubt if you'll see them around much in thirty years like you do the DAs. Like was said earlier, if there's fuel to run them, these old Poulans will be around another thirty years.

Chuck I understand exactly where your coming from and your correct.

Like I said in the other thread, much as I respect the Poulan S25's, they should never have even been brought up in that other thread to begin with.

No other top handle saw from that era would be even be thought of being used by a serious climber today. I'll go one farther and say probably none over 10 years old should even be considered for a man making his living with one.

Not that there are many that are more powerful or such over a good S25, but like you said they have improvements in safety features and such. They also have dealer support and parts available which is critical.

As far as the top handles being used on the ground that is just some pure bullshat that I never even heard about it till I found this place. That stuff is just from these so call tree pros and wannabe tree pros who want to feal superior to the rest and make themself feel better for taking such a high risk job and be so underpaid for doing it. :laugh:

Especially the ones doing it for someone else and not there own business.

Like I have said before Poulan designed and marketed the Micro XXV's especially for homeowners, farmers and such. Do you think Poulan thought all those folks would only use them in a tree? Dont be silly, Homelite, McCulloch etc all had consumer saws in top handle configurations as well.

My first firewood saw was a S25CVA and we never had a clue we shouldnt use it on the ground and to tell the truth I still dont except when I come here.

Mostly what I would use a 25 for is when I have a tree on the ground and am taking limbs off. Much easier than using a 20" saw or bigger. I don't have a bucket truck or anything like that and I do my cutting from the ground. I'm usually not in a hurry and am pretty serious about safety. For my use I can use about anything but have found the Poulan saws super reliable. They are about the right size for taking under 12" limbs off. Yeah, they don't have all the safety equipment on them but I find I can make up for that by taking my time and being careful. There's no hurry at my age.
I have other brands of old saws that I enjoy also but some of my older saws are a little heavy and are just used mostly for display although they will run.

Y'all can negative rep me if you like for the Poulan comment that nearly started a war in that other thread. It was more of a silly comment, but then it got heated.Nick

I tried to warn you.

On another note I picked up this Stihl a$$ kicking Poulan 1800 at the scrap yard today for a buck or two. It was easy to tear down and clean up but didn't really need anything but a tune on the carb. Pics and Vid to follow.

Photo0278.jpg

[video=youtube;U7X2mm25hxI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7X2mm25hxI[/video]

I really had a hard time not leaning on it as it has great balls of fire, you can hear in the video when I lean on it and when I try to let it self feed. It does not clear the chips well when noodling a large chunk of pine which I did cut in half with this saw. It will defenately be staying with me for a while

Y'all can negative rep me if you like for the Poulan comment that nearly started a war in that other thread. It was more of a silly comment, but then it got heated.

On another topic, Oregon doesn't list bars available for a 655. Am I correct in thinking they are D196 bars? What are you guys using for say a 32-36" bar? Could I just use a Stihl bar and a husky bar adapter plate like Bailey's sells? I think I would have to drill the holes just a bit larger(9.5mm Poulan vs. 9.0 for the Husky) but I don't know for certain.

Nick

No need for negs, you just stated your mind and so did I.

Why do you wonder about a 655 bar? You got something to tell us? :laugh:

To be accurate they use a D007 mount, which is basically the same as the D196 Homelite mount exccept the D007 used a different DL count on most of them. For example a D196 mount 24" bar used 81 DL chain while the D007 used a 84DL chain.

No need to worry though you can use a large Husky D009 mount on the 655, just file the slot out .5mm and your done.

I am usually a soft spoken guy, but sometimes I have been known to stir the pot. A lot.

Nick

You got nothing to worry about.
We here know the truth, and the truth is that for firewood the S25s have no equal.
Would you use one commercially ??? Probably not....although they were THE go to saw around here until very recently.
For what WE do they are perfect...so to heck with the non believers!!!

Now, on to better things.

Anyone have a need for a 375 Farm Pro???

Mike

Mark, are these things supposed to have knuckle-busting compression? Seriously, it's got a lot. I got a spare bar and 3 rusty chains with it. Did I overpay at $50?

dd
Here is the info from Acres site.
Model Profile: F3-100

Nice sand cast Poulan, and at 5 cubes and gear reduction with a bow, very nice. I'm not sure how much compression it should have but I know most of my Poulan saws have healthy amounts of compression. $50 sounds like a deal to me.

No need for negs, you just stated your mind and so did I.

Why do you wonder about a 655 bar? You got something to tell us? :laugh:

To be accurate they use a D007 mount, which is basically the same as the D196 Homelite mount exccept the D007 used a different DL count on most of them. For example a D196 mount 24" bar used 81 DL chain while the D007 used a 84DL chain.

No need to worry though you can use a large Husky D009 mount on the 655, just file the slot out .5mm and your done.

Still working on it. I will post some pictures if/when it pulls together.

Nick

Why do guys ALWAYS ask that question when somebody dares to choose a different saw than the $600 wundersaw? I've ran and worked on BOTH of the models in question here (really). Since I also don't make my living up in a tree, I choose the Poulan. I no longer work on saws for a living, but I used to. For my uses (that I stated in the other thread), I'll take the saw that's MUCH easier to work on, and more economical. The extra 1.5 pounds and somewhat slower small wood cutting speed don't bother me at all. NOBODY in the other thread said the Poulan was a better production arborist saw. One guy suggested it as an alternative (and NOT specifically for climbing) and the macho MS200T crowd came unglued. They insulted the saws (even stated that they should be dropped from a tree....stupid) and insulted us. Now that DOES bother me. People get funny on the internet. I doubt those #######s would have beenn quite so insulting in person.

You got nothing to worry about.
We here know the truth, and the truth is that for firewood the S25s have no equal.
Would you use one commercially ??? Probably not....although they were THE go to saw around here until very recently.
For what WE do they are perfect...so to heck with the non believers!!!

Now, on to better things.

Anyone have a need for a 375 Farm Pro???

Mike
Define need Mike...:D

Mark, are these things supposed to have knuckle-busting compression? Seriously, it's got a lot. I got a spare bar and 3 rusty chains with it. Did I overpay at $50?

dd

I'm not sure on them, never had one or seen one up close. I know my 71A is bigger and while its stout to pull I wouldnt call it knuckle busting. As for what you gave I would say you done fine. :msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back