Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you use the newer powersharp chains on an old powersharp equipped saw like my craftsman S25DA?

Nick

Yes, with the sharpener provided with the new bar and chain. It is sold as a "system". If you are thinking of only getting a new chain, they are not sold as chain only, you get a new sharpener also, I believe. And no, the original sharpener on the saw only works with the original style chain.

A much better comparison for the XXV Poulans to a Stihl saw would be the 015 top handle. Basicily same era saws built close to the same specs. The 020's do have somewhat an anti-vibe stystem and some of the later ones had a brake. I do kmow that in my lifetime I'll never run out of a top handle Poulan to tinker with. I see more of them and the XL series Homelights than any other saw. I might just go out today and pull one out of my pile and resurrect it. Long live the little Poulan top handles, they'v earned it.:clap:

Yes a better comparison for the S25 as to me they are superior to the 015 all around and better the the bigger 011 as well.

I dont have a whole lot of time on the older Sthil top handles like the ones I just listed but I am not impressed at all with the ones I have handled. I have alot of time fixing and messing with the POS 191T's and even though there lots newer, I'll take a S25 over them anytime. Not that its the true measure of a saws worth, but the S25 will outrun the 191T and while the S25DA is lighter the CVA version is close in weight to it as well.

The guy who owns the 191T's that I work on finally bought a MS200T and I hope to never see the 191's again. :laugh:

Yes, with the sharpener provided with the new bar and chain. It is sold as a "system". If you are thinking of only getting a new chain, they are not sold as chain only, you get a new sharpener also, I believe. And no, the original sharpener on the saw only works with the original style chain.

Correct you are Jeff!!

The only saw I ever gave up on was a 191T. I had a number of tries with it but just became so disgusted with the design I couldn't go on. It still sits in the shed somewhere.

My therapy today is to make one 4200 out of two. (Thanks Gmax for the second parts saw.) Now that is what I call design.:msp_biggrin:

Al.

I guess that's a great example of controlled obsolescence.....

Nick

No not really the first versions didnt work so well and actually needed to be hand filed at times to work correctly.

The latest design is just that, a bascially complete revision that is completly automatic and seems to actually work well.

The only saw I ever gave up on was a 191T. I had a number of tries with it but just became so disgusted with the design I couldn't go on. It still sits in the shed somewhere.

My therapy today is to make one 4200 out of two. (Thanks Gmax for the second parts saw.) Now that is what I call design.:msp_biggrin:

Al.

I concur!

Could you use the newer powersharp chains on an old powersharp equipped saw like my craftsman S25DA?

Nick

NO the powersharp engineer who is a member here said no way. Totally different geometry with the new system over the old system. Different chain, different stone, the new ones won't even mount up, on purpose.

The only way to use a powersharp on an older saw is get the full new kit, new bar, new chain the cassette stone holder system. Once you have the system, then you only have to replace the stone and chain when they wear out, which are sold in sets. This is the external system, not the built in one. Only the new battery saw uses an internal "new" system. They have no plans to offer replacements for the old style original powersharp.

The external system uses this plastic cassette, holds the stone, you snap it on the new bar (additional holes to hold it in place) rev the saw and push the nose against something for a few seconds.

Here is the selector for what they have now, 14 -18" bars/chains:

Find PowerSharp® parts for your Chain Saw

Now the bars are designed for 3/8ths lowpro, you can run normal 3/8ths lowpro on them, but you can't sharpen a regular chain with the system, and most likely destroy stuff rather violently if you try..

This was my job today - to make these into one. Gmax sent me a parts saw so as I can complete the one I found last year. Plenty of room to move around in these old saws and I don't need an extra pair of hands and some left handed tweezers to get them apart.
But another tree has come down on the fence after all that rain this morning. Guess one of the little Poulans is going to get a run. Hope I don't hurt myself using that old technology.:hmm3grin2orange:

P3111168.jpg

Al.

I know this is a saw forum, but I went looking at trucks today. Damn they got expensive in the 10 years since I've bought one!

Nick

I know this is a saw forum, but I went looking at trucks today. Damn they got expensive in the 10 years since I've bought one!

Nick

Yes they have, the women and yuppies ruined them all anyway wanting heated leather seats, automatic trans, short beds etc, just to haul there lunch boxes and groceries in. :msp_rolleyes:

Now get back on topic! :hmm3grin2orange:

This was my job today - to make these into one. Gmax sent me a parts saw so as I can complete the one I found last year. Plenty of room to move around in these old saws and I don't need an extra pair of hands and some left handed tweezers to get them apart.
But another tree has come down on the fence after all that rain this morning. Guess one of the little Poulans is going to get a run. Hope I don't hurt myself using that old technology.:hmm3grin2orange:

P3111168.jpg

Al.

Looks like you had plenty to work with. Those are about the most enjoyable saws to work on there is. Now be carefull out there. :rock:

One thing I know for sure, the Stihl top handle saws bring a lot more money on Ebay. I just looked at their site and the Poulans are going for less than $50 and the Stihl I looked at was bid at $335 so far. One thing I like better about my 020 than the 200t is that mine doesn't have the flippy caps...I like the screw on ones better.
That may be apples and oranges again...the Stihl is much newer than the Poulans so should bring more.
I don't know if it's still on there but a couple days ago I seen a new MS200T over 800 bucks. Plum crazy!!

I don't know if it's still on there but a couple days ago I seen a new MS200T over 800 bucks. Plum crazy!!

What other saws has that happened with? Where a particular model was discontinued so the dregs of what was left started going way up in price fast, due to demand?

What gets me is, Brad proved the new one was actually proly better with just a bit of tweaking.

What is going to be the game changer in saws is fuel injection. They already have the computer controls now so they work, so it won't be too hard to adapt them to the injection systems. I know they have them on bikes and outboards now, and stihl has that cutoff saw with FI...just a matter of time now to see it as common on small two strokes like saws.

Zogger, with the size of a small dual core processor nowadays that are used in smartphones, I can guarantee that a micro fuel injection isn't that far off. By using a three cell lithium polymer battery pack you could run even a conventional electronic fuel injector. Smartphones have processors that could do this all in a heartbeat. Can you see it now? You pull up to the woods expecting to hear your buddy already cutting and he walks up to your truck and asks if you could use your saw to jumpstart his.

Nick

Nick

When I bought my one ton extended cab diesel dually with the eight foot box the dealer had to get it from eastern pennsylvania to get it the way I wanted it. Rubber floor mats and crank up windows. I wanted a manual trans but that truck was not available anywhere at the time. The dealers kept telling me I didn't want that truck, it had no resale value. I told them I was only going to buy one, I didn't care about resale value, when I was done with it it would be used up. I still have it.:eek:uttahere2: It is far from used up, that was 9 years ago. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

If it don't have a 8 foot box it isn't a truck, its a fancy toy. My grandpa had a studabaker with a 9 foot box, man that was a truck.:msp_mellow:

I had to order the Monster when I was looking for a truck. It had to be green, 8 foot bed, crewcab and a diesel. They detuned the manuals so badly that I took the Allison without any reservations. That was back in 2004 and I love that truck.

Zogger, with the size of a small dual core processor nowadays that are used in smartphones, I can guarantee that a micro fuel injection isn't that far off. By using a three cell lithium polymer battery pack you could run even a conventional electronic fuel injector. Smartphones have processors that could do this all in a heartbeat. Can you see it now? You pull up to the woods expecting to hear your buddy already cutting and he walks up to your truck and asks if you could use your saw to jumpstart his.

Nick
LMFAO!!

Nick

Then there will no longer be any need for an intake port. Just do a direct injection into the crank case for lubrication or if they can figure out how to lubricate the bottom end just do away with the transfer ports and inject straight into the cylinder. Modding a saw will consist of hooking up your lap top and changing the injection timing and amount of fuel. The only port will be the the exhaust. Tuned pipes will not matter.

Then there will no longer be any need for an intake port. Just do a direct injection into the crank case for lubrication or if they can figure out how to lubricate the bottom end just do away with the transfer ports and inject straight into the cylinder. Modding a saw will consist of hooking up your lap top and changing the injection timing and amount of fuel. The only port will be the the exhaust. Tuned pipes will not matter.

I was thinking that too. Trying to figure out which of the aftermarket stuff might work. My theory is use where the decomp is for the injector. Bottom end lube not sure, maybe just splash lube like the little lawnmowers. That and those new ceramic bearings. One place I was looking at last night said they had injector kits (for bikes anyway) for 40 ccs on up.

gotta be a way to do this....

edit: another thought. Going around googling looking at advanced two stroke things...chainsaws are at the very bottom of the heap when it comes to high tech modern designs. And they sure charge a lot of loot for new ones, anything with a "big name" on the decals.

Last edited:
Back