Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And to think I talked a long time arborist friend into switching from Husky TH saws to the MS200T years ago when he was unhappy with his little orange saws. Guy HATED Stihls at the time due to some bad experiences with an 020T and an 036. This was probably over 10 years ago. I liked his 262XP's, but was unimpressed with whatever orange TH saws he had. Since then he has gone through two new MS200T's.

People here on AS are so touchy about needing other people to fall all over themselves with praise and admiration when the 200T is mentioned. Was there a need to call us cookie cutters and say we're bursting into tears just because we dare to like a different TH saw? Some people just aren't worth pissing on to save them from fire...

Last edited:
I'm not sure on them, never had one or seen one up close. I know my 71A is bigger and while its stout to pull I wouldnt call it knuckle busting. As for what you gave I would say you done fine. :msp_thumbup:

Okay, my inexperience on the compression. It checks at 150 by my gauge. I didn't take into account the very small starter on the very large flywheel. Add that to trying to turn 5 cubic inches of engine and 150 feels like much more. As for the saw, as best I can tell it is complete and all original; no stuff added. Check that, it is missing a cover for the muffler and the two screws that hold the cover on. Nice blue spark and the the bow bar is oiled and turns freely. I see no reason it shouldn't run as is with fresh fuel. A good Friday all the way around.

That's cause climbers are typically a lot smaller than "groundies".

Nick

I do have to say they're strong however. My arborist buddy is about 5'07" and 160Lbs....but all muscle. Been in a few drunken wrestling matches/fights with him over the decades. I get the best of him, but it takes some work. I'm a LOT bigger (but not much taller) than him and know more dirty tricks. Dislocated his shoulder once without meaning to. Seriously. A bunch of good friends blowing off steam, plus too much booze equals some injuries...

I guess I can't comment negatively on it, because I'm learning to climb. Not for money, but primarily because I want to be able to take care of my own lot, which has LOTS of trees. I have a friend who's an arborist and climber so I've got some good teaching.

I won't be buying a 200T. That's what my 25 is for

Nick

I do have to say they're strong however. My arborist buddy is about 5'07" and 160Lbs....but all muscle. Been in a few drunken wrestling matches/fights with him over the decades. I get the best of him, but it takes some work. I'm a LOT bigger (but not much taller) than him and know more dirty tricks. Dislocated his shoulder once without meaning to. Seriously. A bunch of good friends blowing off steam, plus too much booze equals some injuries...

The last I knew about this, back when I was weightlifting a lot and following it, the consensus back then was about what your buddy is for human weight to strength ratios. It used to be 5'8' and around 150-160 lbs.

Now there's a big set of variables there, as there are three types of muscle cells, and it depends on the ratio any one guy has of those (extreme example, sprinters vs marathoners), but that was in the ball park for a general rule of thumb on just grunt per lb.

I'm smaller than your friend, shorter and much lighter, but way back, lifting at 126, I did 180 bench, 320 squat and 395 dead lift. I've done more than that later on, I got up to 145-150 lbs for a few years (had to eat like three moose and a bull to get there), but those were official at that weight. The records back then (no idea now, certainly higher) at that class were about 15-20 lbs heavier in each lift.

In other words, little guys can be deceiving, especially if they have any speed to 'em, along with some grunt.

Why do guys ALWAYS ask that question when somebody dares to choose a different saw than the $600 wundersaw? I've ran and worked on BOTH of the models in question here (really). Since I also don't make my living up in a tree, I choose the Poulan. I no longer work on saws for a living, but I used to. For my uses (that I stated in the other thread), I'll take the saw that's MUCH easier to work on, and more economical. The extra 1.5 pounds and somewhat slower small wood cutting speed don't bother me at all. NOBODY in the other thread said the Poulan was a better production arborist saw. One guy suggested it as an alternative (and NOT specifically for climbing) and the macho MS200T crowd came unglued. They insulted the saws (even stated that they should be dropped from a tree....stupid) and insulted us. Now that DOES bother me. People get funny on the internet. I doubt those #######s would have beenn quite so insulting in person.

A lot of it has to do with what kind of chain you have on it and how sharp it is.... the saw motor doesn't do much cutting!

This is funny

A lot of it has to do with what kind of chain you have on it and how sharp it is.... the saw motor doesn't do much cutting!

I've only ever seen one 200T being used, and that was recently when the bucket truck guys were here. Nice saw, I admit it. BUT...both those guys were impressed as heck with my oregon batt saw I was using as the junior volunteer groundie when they were here. They were saying they couldn't figure out what the heck saw I was using that had like an automatic starter on it! HAHAHAHAHAHA! They both tried it out,(well, just revved it up a little) liked it, then I showed them the built in sharpener, floored 'em.

Different saws, different niches and work, they are all good. The only bad saw is one that don't run.

Bailey's has the Oregon Powernow saw on the inside back cover of their 2012 catalog. I saw it and I would like to at least try it out sometime. I think it could work well for me, but I gotta say, I love my Poulans, and would have a hard time replacing them. And that Powersharp chain just looks weird to me. How long do they last?

Nick

Y'all can negative rep me if you like for the Poulan comment that nearly started a war in that other thread. It was more of a silly comment, but then it got heated.

Nick
You gotta be a SERIOUS ass clown before I neg, either attack me personally or my wife. Then it's on.

I am usually a soft spoken guy, but sometimes I have been known to stir the pot. A lot.

Nick
I'm the same way. I do like to stir the pot when it's warranted. :D

poulan 34-4000 crank seals?

Anyone know if a replacement part source for the crank seals on a 34-4000 poulan? Seal is # 530019097 I believe. I have a couple of these saws, one in need of new seals and I would like to get a dozen of them if I can find them somewhere. I did search around a bit and came across Nat. oil seal 253747, but was unsure if that was a direct replacement for the one I am looking for. Any help is appreciated.

Anyone know if a replacement part source for the crank seals on a 34-4000 poulan? Seal is # 530019097 I believe. I have a couple of these saws, one in need of new seals and I would like to get a dozen of them if I can find them somewhere. I did search around a bit and came across Nat. oil seal 253747, but was unsure if that was a direct replacement for the one I am looking for. Any help is appreciated.

Yes sir that should work. Very common easy to find seal. Just make sure you use a seal protector of some sort on the PTO side when installing over the step on the crank to keep from flipping the lip of the seal over.

Poulan had a special tool for it but I wrap a piece of beer can around the crank and that works well.

Mark, you type faster than I do. That is also the number for the Timken brand and I got mine from Autozone for $3.56 each. I had to buy three because I had a problem with one getting hung up on the outside and folding over.

Nick

Isn't it nice when working requires you to drink a beer to make a tool out of the can. I think I'm gonna go out and make some tools now.

Nick

I've never used a 200T but guess what, I own an 020T. Not used it much yet but I will this Fall along with other saws. I really wasn't wanting it to come off like I was knocking the little Stihls, just kinda wondering what the big fuss is about. I've looked this 020 of mine over and although it's unique it just doesn't look nearly as heavy duty as the Poulan and I doubt if you'll see them around much in thirty years like you do the DAs. Like was said earlier, if there's fuel to run them, these old Poulans will be around another thirty years.
A much better comparison for the XXV Poulans to a Stihl saw would be the 015 top handle. Basicily same era saws built close to the same specs. The 020's do have somewhat an anti-vibe stystem and some of the later ones had a brake. I do kmow that in my lifetime I'll never run out of a top handle Poulan to tinker with. I see more of them and the XL series Homelights than any other saw. I might just go out today and pull one out of my pile and resurrect it. Long live the little Poulan top handles, they'v earned it.:clap:

A much better comparison for the XXV Poulans to a Stihl saw would be the 015 top handle. Basicily same era saws built close to the same specs. The 020's do have somewhat an anti-vibe stystem and some of the later ones had a brake. I do kmow that in my lifetime I'll never run out of a top handle Poulan to tinker with. I see more of them and the XL series Homelights than any other saw. I might just go out today and pull one out of my pile and resurrect it. Long live the little Poulan top handles, they'v earned it.:clap:

One thing I know for sure, the Stihl top handle saws bring a lot more money on Ebay. I just looked at their site and the Poulans are going for less than $50 and the Stihl I looked at was bid at $335 so far. One thing I like better about my 020 than the 200t is that mine doesn't have the flippy caps...I like the screw on ones better.
That may be apples and oranges again...the Stihl is much newer than the Poulans so should bring more.

Last edited:
Bailey's has the Oregon Powernow saw on the inside back cover of their 2012 catalog. I saw it and I would like to at least try it out sometime. I think it could work well for me, but I gotta say, I love my Poulans, and would have a hard time replacing them. And that Powersharp chain just looks weird to me. How long do they last?

Nick

I got 12 sharpenings out of mine, but the first few were on-purpose cut wicked dirty wood to dull it.

I've found sticking to 1"-6" wood is the best, with 3"-4" being the sweet spot for most cuts per battery charge. It'll cut out to the length of the bar, but larger wood the battery runs down fast.

The chain takes a bit of use to get the feel for how it cuts, then it cuts just fine. I really can't explain it other than it is different. And you can always just lose the internal sharpener and the powersharp chain and run any 3/8ths low pro on it.

I dig that it is real quiet, absolutely no smell to it, and shuts off instantly. For me, I like it when first limbing out a big tree. I hatchet off or axe off the real little stuff, then take the small wood I want to keep with the battery saw, until the batt runs out, that instant on/off is great because you can stop, move the brush outta your way, then go back to cutting instantly. Then I switch to a small gasser and work my way back down to the main trunk, then bump up to a larger gasser for the final blocking.

Supposedly they will be introducing some more yard tools that use the same battery and charger, so that will be cool, too.

Yes sir that should work. Very common easy to find seal. Just make sure you use a seal protector of some sort on the PTO side when installing over the step on the crank to keep from flipping the lip of the seal over.

Poulan had a special tool for it but I wrap a piece of beer can around the crank and that works well.

Mark, you type faster than I do. That is also the number for the Timken brand and I got mine from Autozone for $3.56 each. I had to buy three because I had a problem with one getting hung up on the outside and folding over.

Nick

Thanks all, I ordered a few as backups. Should be here in a week and a half as its special order apparently. I will let you know how it works out.

Latest posts

Back