Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would do a compression test just to make sure it is ok. I know on mine I had to have the low adjustment needle out about 1 3/4 to 2 turns to get it to idle right. When you do the carb rebuild check the intake gaskets too. I believe the impulse is through the intake and a part of those gaskets. Congrats on the saw. I know when you get it all figured out it will be a handly little saw for you.

its all good yea as long as the compression and the seals are good i will eventually get it figured out it runs hard but the idle is all over the place and gets worse the hotter it gets ... im in the process of trying to get a new roof and delt with 3 contractors today getting estimates and what not after 3 is was getting grumpy alrady LOL!

I recently picked up a very nice craftsman 3.3 and very low hour PP330. Both of the saw's have alot of pressure that releases when the fuel cap is removed while or after runnin them.

The 330 is from a member of AS and he told me before I purchased it that he had just changed the tank vent because it was leaking right before he sold it to me. He is a respectable member and I believe him. Any suggestions or is this some what normal? Both saw's run fine btw.

maybe i'm missing something, but based on the tank vents i've seen (duck bills and flapper valves) they are check valves that keep the tank from forming a vacuum. won't they ALL keep pressure in the tank?

super 2

Ok the super 2 is kicking my ass. Anyone know starting point for single adjustment carb? Or better yet what is yours set at?

thats a homlite right? i had 2 of them years ago and the high was a tad over 1 and then i would adjust the low at 1 then forard and back a lil at a time till it reved smooth im not sure with one i had a lil ms 180 that had one and some blowers the blowers were a pain....
\

I found these at the scrap today. The Poulan has been set in water for a time and has developed the white death but is free and full of good parts, The Craftsman is in better shape but missing a bunch of parts, so I started to but it together with the Poulan. I rebuilt the fuel lines and vent and cleaned the carb but I haven't got it to run yet just fire, I will have to mess with the tuning or it has a sticky ring from sitting and has low compression, seems it gained a bunch while I was out yanking on the starting rope. I should have it done by this weekend if it does not need a carb kit.

Photo0353.jpg

Photo0352.jpg

Photo0351.jpg

I found these at the scrap today. The Poulan has been set in water for a time and has developed the white death but is free and full of good parts, The Craftsman is in better shape but missing a bunch of parts, so I started to but it together with the Poulan. I rebuilt the fuel lines and vent and cleaned the carb but I haven't got it to run yet just fire, I will have to mess with the tuning or it has a sticky ring from sitting and has low compression, seems it gained a bunch while I was out yanking on the starting rope. I should have it done by this weekend if it does not need a carb kit.

Photo0353.jpg

Photo0352.jpg

Photo0351.jpg

I've gotten two saws like that to run this week, both 3.7 Craftsman saws.

try a different carb if you have one.... whats the compression?

Well, I think I may have stumbled onto the problem.. When I had the saw running for one of it's short bursts and it started to die I turned it over about 90 degrees and it started running again then died. I'm afraid the seals have gone out of this one. I'm setting it aside for now, then when I get some time I'll start looking up seal part numbers..

I thought it might be the tank vent for awhile so I just stuck a tube in the vent line hole in the tank and the saw ran maybe a little better but I shortly found out that wasn't it.

Last edited:
Wild Thang - Brand New - Value??

Was over at a friend's house and got to talking about chainsaws, imagine that!??, and he sez he's got a saw out in the shed. He pulls it out and it's a NIB purple and green Wild Thang. What is something like that valued at.........complete with the plastic baggie with the new oil container in it and whatever else came with them new!????

I didn't want to show much interest in it, didn't even lift it out of the case, but in a casual look-over I don't think it was that one signature model..........whoever that TV show guy was that endorsed the Poulan Wild Thang.

He wants a buck and a half for it................thoughts!????

Last edited:
Was over at a friend's house and got to talking about chainsaws, imagine that!??, and he sez he's got a saw out in the shed. He pulls it out and it's a NIB purple and green Wild Thang. What is something like that valued at.........complete with the plastic baggie with the new oil container in it and whatever else came with them new!????

I didn't want to show much interest in it, didn't even lift it out of the case, but in a casual look-over I don't think it was that one signature model..........whoever that TV show guy was that endorsed the Poulan Wild Thang.

I've got a couple of them here, one was given to me and the other I got for about 5 bucks, both run well.

That's great!!

I've got a couple of them here, one was given to me and the other I got for about 5 bucks, both run well.

Yeah..........that's the kind of deal I'd like to get........I'll let him sit on it for awhile. I've never owned a "new" saw........but it would have to be a screamin' deal to make my first "new" saw a Poulan Wild Thang.

That's at least $50.00 too high.

Mike

bought 3

ive bought 3 in the last year that were relly nice used from 40 to 50 bucks... with the cases...

maybe i'm missing something, but based on the tank vents i've seen (duck bills and flapper valves) they are check valves that keep the tank from forming a vacuum. won't they ALL keep pressure in the tank?

I know and understand how the vent works. I just don't understand why there is so much pressure in the tanks...none of my other saw's have this much pressure so I thought maybe there was a reason for it.

Yeah..........that's the kind of deal I'd like to get........I'll let him sit on it for awhile. I've never owned a "new" saw........but it would have to be a screamin' deal to make my first "new" saw a Poulan Wild Thang.

They're just a regular Poulan saw, as far as I can tell, except for the color which lots of people don't like. Some do like it also, I guess. I can't tell any difference between my Wild Thing and a Craftsman saw which I recently acquired except the Craftsman saw is red.

Latest posts

Back