Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know and understand how the vent works. I just don't understand why there is so much pressure in the tanks...none of my other saw's have this much pressure so I thought maybe there was a reason for it.

I removed the duckbill valve in my 2.8 and just ran a small hose for a vent. It doesn't build pressure in the tank now. You just have to watch how you turn the saw.

That's at least $50.00 too high.

Mike

Thats $100 too high.

ive bought 3 in the last year that were relly nice used from 40 to 50 bucks... with the cases...

They're just a regular Poulan saw, as far as I can tell, except for the color which lots of people don't like. Some do like it also, I guess. I can't tell any difference between my Wild Thing and a Craftsman saw which I recently acquired except the Craftsman saw is red.

It's great to get all the feedback,Thanks!!! I'll just keep my eyes open for other opportunities!! Of course I've got enough project saws to complete that I don't even need to be looking!! :hmm3grin2orange:

hmmmmm

I removed the duckbill valve in my 2.8 and just ran a small hose for a vent. It doesn't build pressure in the tank now. You just have to watch how you turn the saw.

wonder if you could put 2 small machine screws in the line or an echo breather like they have on the blowers .. on or in that breather hose bet that would work i may try the 2 machine screws i think i bought extra ones last time i did my 021 tank vent...i have to say i like that system much better then the duck bills just think its a easy design...

I was thinking of doing this and installing a machine screw. I just don't care for all the pressure in the tank...does'nt seem right to me.

Poulan model 3314 guy brought me to see if I can get it to run. It looks to have maybe two tanks through it. It will not idle for anything. tachs around 11,500. Seems everytime I try something on it I get a different result.

Carb is in nice clean shape as I put it through the ultra sonic cleaner. No matter how I adjust the carb it will one minute idle and the next time just die.

Going to check the basebolts on the carb next. Didn't think of that first time around. What should this saw tach set to?

Also when I removed the carb fuel streams out the line that connects to the right side of carb like I have never seen before on any saw:confused: Tanks is pressurizing shouldn't it be neutral to some point? Wondering if the lines are hooked up wrong from the factory somehow?

Poulan model 3314 guy brought me to see if I can get it to run. It looks to have maybe two tanks through it. It will not idle for anything. tachs around 11,500. Seems everytime I try something on it I get a different result.

Carb is in nice clean shape as I put it through the ultra sonic cleaner. No matter how I adjust the carb it will one minute idle and the next time just die.

Going to check the basebolts on the carb next. Didn't think of that first time around. What should this saw tach set to?

Also when I removed the carb fuel streams out the line that connects to the right side of carb like I have never seen before on any saw:confused: Tanks is pressurizing shouldn't it be neutral to some point? Wondering if the lines are hooked up wrong from the factory somehow?

Check fuel filter, intake leaks, will carb hold pressure? Exhaust screen plugged? Spark plug loose? Tank vent plugged? New carb kit? Crimp in fuel line?

What happens when you pour mix directly into carb?

Last edited:

--not sure of that exact model, but generic poulan with a purge bulb is like this. Fuel line from tank and filter goes over to the far side of the carb, if you are on the flywheel side, saw sitting sideways, bar to your left, rear handle to your right, looking at the carb. The carb barb on the near side to you goes to the "suck" side of the purge valve. You can see which is which by pumping it and feeling them with your finger. The other purge barb is the return line to the tank. That purge/primer thing sucks mix through the carb, it doesn't pump it through.

There's a tank vent on most of those saws but it's a hunt to find them. Look in the plastic under the carb, maybe the fuelcap has a vent (duckbill) who knows. On a previous thread it was noted look for a brass mesh looking/bronzish plug down in the plastic someplace. Tank has to vent somehow.

Here is what I think is happening. The throttle is not fully closing down and it high idles. with the cover off I can tune it to stay running but then as soon as you push the throttle lever at the carb closed it will die but then the next time I start it it will stick open and will spin the chain until you manually pusht he throttle back down again. Trying to find a happy medium is darn near impossible as invariable the chain will spin and the guy that owns this saw has an ailment that he should not be operating anything that is less then perfect operation. The owner has parkinsons (sp) I figured this out as I was trying to adjust the idle screw and had to turn it forever to raise the idle realizing the throttel was already to far open on its own. Not sure what a new carb would cost for this saw.

I did tighten up the gap on the coil as well as a business card slipped through that very easily. The fuel lines are running correctly as noted above it does purge back to the carb and the line from the filter goes directly into the the carb and while primer is pushed I can see fuel return to the tank.

The duckbill on the fuel cap is perfect.

I called the guy to come and get it tomorrow as I have spent way too much time on it already. He said it has never run right since he bought it new.

I am trying to talk him into buy something like an MS250 which would be a perfect fit for what he is doing.

Thanks for the replies. It is really frustrating to work on these are you know you get what you pay for and sometimes a lot less than that.

Help please part needed

Hellow to everyone, i have a Poulan 20 or Craftsman 1.9A that i am in need of the flywheel key for the crankshaft, it is all that i need, i think, to have it running.

I cut with a couple Poulans 25 years ago and really liked those saws, and am looking to get back into one of them. I posted a "wanted" ad in the classifieds, so if anyone here is looking to part with a 70cc class Poulan, take a look over there. :)

Hellow to everyone, i have a Poulan 20 or Craftsman 1.9A that i am in need of the flywheel key for the crankshaft, it is all that i need, i think, to have it running.

If you have the real model number, could be sears still has one. I have no idea which key that is or what other models might have it. Or find a poulan IPL, get that key number, and search on that.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com

I cut with a couple Poulans 25 years ago and really liked those saws, and am looking to get back into one of them. I posted a "wanted" ad in the classifieds, so if anyone here is looking to part with a 70cc class Poulan, take a look over there. :)

I only have one that size and that's my baby, an actual bona fide working tool, not a shelf queen. I actually need a saw that size and one larger, which I don't have yet, so I have to keep that one. I just couldn't afford any of the newer brand name saws that size, even used ones, that's what got me into older saws.

There were a couple 3400s in the classifieds, don't know if either is still available. 56 ccs, cut pretty good. Better than nuthin man. Although who knows, one of the guys here *might* part with a bigger model....andddddd...GOODLUCKWITHTHAT! heheheheheheheh

I only have one that size and that's my baby, an actual bona fide working tool, not a shelf queen. I actually need a saw that size and one larger, which I don't have yet, so I have to keep that one. I just couldn't afford any of the newer brand name saws that size, even used ones, that's what got me into older saws.

There were a couple 3400s in the classifieds, don't know if either is still available. 56 ccs, cut pretty good. Better than nuthin man. Although who knows, one of the guys here *might* part with a bigger model....andddddd...GOODLUCKWITHTHAT! heheheheheheheh

The 3400 is too small for what I need. Among other saws, got a ported MS660 and an 034S, but instead of buying a 70cc Stihl to fill the gap and wear a 25-inch B&C, I'd like to go back in time a bit.

The 3400 is too small for what I need. Among other saws, got a ported MS660 and an 034S, but instead of buying a 70cc Stihl to fill the gap and wear a 25-inch B&C, I'd like to go back in time a bit.

When a guy goes back in time...there is no better color for a saw than GREEN!!!:msp_wink:

Latest posts

Back