Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks fellas for the PP260 info. I think I'll get it running as is. Do some timed cuts. Then mod the muffler and do more timed cuts. And then maybe try my hand at some mild porting (widening the exhaust and intake ports).

As I get into this saw, I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Kevin

You probably already know...don't get carried away with the size of the ports in the saw. You can overdo it and lose a lot of power instead of gaining it with ports that are too big.

Thanks for the tip. I've done a fair bit of reading here on porting, and I'm gonna go slow. I'll try and use a Sharpie to outline the ports on the piston and go out from there a little. First things first...get it running...actually before that...pull the muffler and have a look.

Kevin

Correct, that same black muffler is used on a lot of the Poulans. Kevin never did say if his muffler is the pre epa black muffler or the silver muffler.

Thats because Kevin has not even got the saw yet!

Just hold on there slick, this aint no big deal yet.

Easy fellas. :)

I do have the saw...I just had not taken pics of it yet. The muffler is black and it comes apart. Pics in my next post.

Kevin

Kevin, you may want to look at the carb adjustment screws and see if there the splined heads like I think they are.

If so that special splined screwdriver type tool is worth every bit of the $10 they get for them. It makes setting the carb so much easier. I like it better then even a regular screw with slots, as theres no fumbling that way.

As I received it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Kevin

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It's missing some screws for the top cover and rewind. Also missing the kill switch and air filter. The fella I got it from says he found the kill switch. I'll have to ask him about the screws and air filter. To me the 'Quick Adjust' bar is goofy, but it'll work for now.

I'm glad that the P&C look good through the exhaust. I'll do a compression test and pressure/vacuum test it later. The chain sprocket looks hardly worn. I don't think the saw was used much, just dirty...but I'll fix the dirty part!

I can hardly believe that the saw will run with the little ports on the back of the muffler. That will definitely have to be fixed! That piece with the holes in it (Diffuser - as the IPL calls it), is it needed? For support for the front cover?

As for the IPL, it is separated into parts for a Type 1,2,3 and 4,5 and 6 saw. I see that there is a '--4' at the end of the serial number, so I'm guessing that is the 'type' number.

I've never owned or ran a Poulan, it'll be interesting.

Kevin

Kevin, you may want to look at the carb adjustment screws and see if there the splined heads like I think they are.

If so that special splined screwdriver type tool is worth every bit of the $10 they get for them. It makes setting the carb so much easier. I like it better then even a regular screw with slots, as theres no fumbling that way.

Just ran out to have a look, and a regular small screwdriver will work.

It looks like I will need a special tool to remove the clutch? Where to find those?

Kevin

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It's missing some screws for the top cover and rewind. Also missing the kill switch and air filter. The fella I got it from says he found the kill switch. I'll have to ask him about the screws and air filter. To me the 'Quick Adjust' bar is goofy, but it'll work for now.

I'm glad that the P&C look good through the exhaust. I'll do a compression test and pressure/vacuum test it later. The chain sprocket looks hardly worn. I don't think the saw was used much, just dirty...but I'll fix the dirty part!

I can hardly believe that the saw will run with the little ports on the back of the muffler. That will definitely have to be fixed! That piece with the holes in it (Diffuser - as the IPL calls it), is it needed? For support for the front cover?

As for the IPL, it is separated into parts for a Type 1,2,3 and 4,5 and 6 saw. I see that there is a '--4' at the end of the serial number, so I'm guessing that is the 'type' number.

Kevin

Yes that diffuser or someting has to support the outer muffler cover from crushing when you tighten it up. Just drill the diffuser out and you see the indent on front bottom of the muffler, that is a good place to drill it out also. '

That intenz bar isnt too bad to me, they work and the bar nuts are what hold the bar tight anyway. That cover can have the regular bar adjuster added to it if you want to later. That safety chain has to go though.

I thought the type # was always listed right on the tag. If there is no type # listed it might mean its a type 1 maybe? What cc does the tag say that it is?

I think thats the same saw my father in law has, and its a decent little saw when retuned properly but sometimes there hard to restart when hot and even harder when run out of fuel hot.

Check those fuel lines close as I have seen them get hard in a short time.

Muffler modded they run decent, and make good little limbing saws etc.

Just ran out to have a look, and a regular small screwdriver will work.

It looks like I will need a special tool to remove the clutch? Where to find those?

Kevin

The Poulan dealer will sell you the tool for I think it was less then $5 and it fits alot of saws. Let me know if you need me to look the part # for it up for you.

Never mind I had it handy, the clutch tool is Poulan # 530031112.

Last edited:
Yes that diffuser or someting has to support the outer muffler cover from crushing when you tighten it up. Just drill the diffuser out and you see the indent on front bottom of the muffler, that is a good place to drill it out also. '

That intenz bar isnt too bad to me, they work and the bar nuts are what hold the bar tight anyway. That cover can have the regular bar adjuster added to it if you want to later. That safety chain has to go though.

I thought the type # was always listed right on the tag. If there is no type # listed it might mean its a type 1 maybe? What cc does the tag say that it is?

I think thats the same saw my father in law has, and its a decent little saw when retuned properly but sometimes there hard to restart when hot and even harder when run out of fuel hot.

Check those fuel lines close as I have seen them get hard in a short time.

Muffler modded they run decent, and make good little limbing saws etc.

I looked at the tag again and there is a 'family' number with the first number being a '1' and then some letters and more numbers.

Thanks for the tips. Yes, the safety chain will definitely be dealt with for sure!

The Poulan dealer will sell you the tool for I think it was less then $5 and it fits alot of saws. Let me know if you need me to look the part # for it up for you.

Never mind I had it handy, the clutch tool is Poulan # 530031112.

Thank ya! I've been needing to rep ya...but I gotta spread it around first.

Kevin

No Scott, it is too small to use on the 306.

Poulan still shows part # 530031004 as still available and $7.20.

I dont have one myself, I just made one from a steel strap iron with two holes drilled and tapped for #10x24 screws to go into the 2 holes in the clutch and welded a 3/8's nut in the center of it.

But that trouble isnt really worth $7 I just needed it right away.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Kevin

Kevin, the intenze bar will slip if you use the non safety chain. I think the bar adjust kit was about $2.50 . For giggles you could open the two rear louvers to 80% of the exhaust port and run it to see for yourself. There is no need to remove or modify the diffuser or spark arrestor screen for a working saw. I've run my PP220 muffler modded with and without and could not find any gain.

Kevin, the intenze bar will slip if you use the non safety chain. I think the bar adjust kit was about $2.50 . For giggles you could open the two rear louvers to 80% of the exhaust port and run it to see for yourself. There is no need to remove or modify the diffuser or spark arrestor screen for a working saw. I've run my PP220 muffler modded with and without and could not find any gain.

I don't know anything about Intenz bar setups, but how does the style of cutters or rakers on the chain effect the bar staying in place, causing it to slip?:confused:

Gregg,

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Kevin

I only see red x's on this... is it my computer or what??

Latest posts

Back