Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heya folks! This is my first post here, though I've taken a lot of useful information from these forums in the past. I'm a saw repairman, but I have no training or experience in the field; my boss knew this when he decided to add that to my duties at work. Go fig! Anyhow, I'm mostly doing ok, but I now have a Poulan here, an older one,
model # S25 CVA-38CC.

The carb on it is a Tilloston HU 10A 80

When it was brought it, it was filthy inside and out, all the lines were cracked and crumbling, the gas was ancient and crystalizing. howeer, astonishingly, it ran (before the lines fell apart), but only for a few seconds.

Now, I've replaced all the lines, the filter, checked the compression, rebuilt & cleaned the carb (Twice), and it still starts, runs for a few seconds (15-40), and then dies out. The carb is spraying gas out the air intake pretty bad, and the saw isntantly stalls if I open the choke at all.

I replaced the carb with a brand new unused one that we had in stock, same carb, and it worked slightly better, but I still can't get it to run. I'm wondering if I might have the H (needle) and L (idle) screws in the wrong positions? I haven't been able to find much information on them, but I tried the modern defaults for Poulan saws and it won't even fire with them there. I'm stumped. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Strange your CVA has a HU carb on it as that was used on older models. Not that it would be a problem, I like the HU's.

Like was said the spit back out of the carb is normal.

2 things to check. Did you put a new fuel filter on it? I have seen filters that dont look bad but wont flow fuel. Second is what size line did you use? I like the 3/32x3/16 better the the 1/8x3/16 on these as it dont kink as bad. That brings me to the part where you need to check and make sure that the line is not kinked at the bend behind the flywheel.

Picked this Craftsman up this weekend for $20, I replaced the fuel line and it runs great, now I have to straiten the front AV spring and unclog the oilier. I think it is a 2.3 and it has a 18 inch bar, which it pulls surprisingly well.

What model Poulan does that cross reference to? Looks pretty nice for 20 bucks!

I'm looking forward to when the new 50 cc craftsmans or poulans start hitting the used and refurb (in other words, cheap like what you just found) market. I *bet* they are nice saws with a little dialing in.

Yeah, I was referring to the regulars, not the ones that pop in and out wondering why their saw is cutting out, never to be heard from again until something else goes wrong. That's what I do on the computer fix-it sites. You can usually tell the regulars by the number of posts they put up here. My 90 is not as far off as you might think with the "frequent fliers."

I do have a few "garage queens" sitting around but they all would run and cut wood if you don't mind lifting a heavy saw. I generally use lighter weight saws for firewood, just mess with the old heavy ones for fun but it wouldn't be rare for my neighbors to look out and see (hear)me cutting some firewood with my C5 or an old Poulan S25DA.

computer fixits..man, ya, that gets old when you encounter people will just *not* do any research before they ask, then even then go ahead and do the same wrong thing over and over again, then claim they can't use computers, can't figure it out, etc.

It becomes like a badge of honor! Well, "I don't get computers", "I am computer illiterate", etc...Fine..everyone starts out that way, just work at it. I used to help neighbors, plus give away junkers I rebuilt to their kids..I just stopped doing that. Plenty of time for them to watch "the big game" on Tv or sitcoms, go get drunk, burn fuel in toys, play video games, watch some hollyweird movie, etc, but not one calorie expended to try and actually learn anything. "just stop forwarding chain letters, don't CC people with "what a cutepuppy.exe" etc...five minutes later "WAHHHHH computer is junk, it don't work"!

It's like them saying, "well, I drive and want to drive, but these gosh darn pedals and lever things are just so complicated, I am driving illiterate, but I am going to drive anyway, just help me figure it out" "Well, here's the manual, here are any number of discussions on this or that pedal or lever, what new question do you have then"? "Well, what are all the pedals and levers for"?

#%^%$$#!

BWAHAHAHAHA!

I am still ignorant of so many things, but man, I really try to research stuff before I ask a question. I'll only ask if after really looking at everything that is there, if I still have some niggling detail that isn't clear to me. *Most* of the time I can find an answer just by searching. It isn't perfect, but I I use google correctly, including the -negative ignore words and phrases, and wildcards and so on, I can usually find what I am looking for.

There's so much stuff out there now compared to the early 90s, etc. Remember finding stuff with gopher? And wading through newsgroups?

I think you described 90% of the people on AS. It definitely described me, I have over 50 saws and cut little wood anymore but when I go through them to figure what to sell I seem to find a reason to keep each one. I find myself buying junkers to sell so I can keep my "good" saws but then I go ahead and fix the junkers also. Sometimes I buy duplicates so I can feel good about keeping the other duplicate. It's kinda like women and shoes except it's harder to sell a used pair of shoes...

My wife has noticed that also, and shes cool with it. I give her grief about the shoes, and she digs about the saws.

I do sell one every now and then, and she makes a big deal over throwing out a pair of shoes, though I think she's using the same pair to throw out.

Strange your CVA has a HU carb on it as that was used on older models. Not that it would be a problem, I like the HU's.

Like was said the spit back out of the carb is normal.

2 things to check. Did you put a new fuel filter on it? I have seen filters that dont look bad but wont flow fuel. Second is what size line did you use? I like the 3/32x3/16 better the the 1/8x3/16 on these as it dont kink as bad. That brings me to the part where you need to check and make sure that the line is not kinked at the bend behind the flywheel.

Thanks! Yes, I put a new filter on it. At this point, I've even tried putting a brand new carb on it, I happened to have an identical one in stock, and it did the same thing...
I used the 1/8 line, I could try re-doing it with the 3/32, that's a decent suggestion. The line doesn't appear to be kinked anywhere (Though I had a bear of a time getting it routed the first time, it's the first time I've worked on one of these!).

110 volt, 10 amp electric poulan saw

here is a couple of pics of this one. Dad said it was really only used for demonstration.

KJC

Last edited:
Photo0163.jpg

Picked this Craftsman up this weekend for $20, I replaced the fuel line and it runs great, now I have to straiten the front AV spring and unclog the oilier. I think it is a 2.3 and it has a 18 inch bar, which it pulls surprisingly well.

Is the model # 358.352380, 358.356180, or 358.356230?

I finally got the chance to see my Christmas gift to myself today. I bought a 4000 for myself from a fellow forum member a couple weeks ago, but was out of town for ten days between Christmas and New Years so I was just able to unbox it tonight. I purchased this saw from Wagnerwerks, who's real name is Kris. After grabbing the box cutter to open my gift, I was taken back by the packing job he did. I found a box, filled with packing foam, surrounding a double bagged saw, that was wrapped in an old rag. He did an amazing job of describing the saw to me before the purchase, including great pictures. Here's a couple pics I took.

214936d1325614060-2012-01-02_22-57-24_638-jpg

attachment.php

I am looking for a correct clutch cove and bar plates(if applicable) so if anybody has them available, PM me!

Nick

Last edited:
Hi again guys.I wish to everyone a happy new year.
I finally get the parts (piston-cylinder and the bearings)for my 2150 and assembled it yesterday.It has a really good compression.I didn't expect that.Anyway,today i tried to fire it up.It runs but not really good,i am trying to adjust the carb.I've changed the lines,the fuel filter and i cleaned the carb.It runs only if i turn counder clockwish the 2 screws about 2.5 turns.I thought that the Poulan's carbs,adjusting by turning the screws 1 turn counter clockwish.If i set it 1 turn,it doesn't fire up.if i set the screws at 2.5 turns,it fires up as well.Any other setting don't work.Did i miss anything?

Hi again guys.I wish to everyone a happy new year.
I finally get the parts (piston-cylinder and the bearings)for my 2150 and assembled it yesterday.It has a really good compression.I didn't expect that.Anyway,today i tried to fire it up.It runs but not really good,i am trying to adjust the carb.I've changed the lines,the fuel filter and i cleaned the carb.It runs only if i turn counder clockwish the 2 screws about 2.5 turns.I thought that the Poulan's carbs,adjusting by turning the screws 1 turn counter clockwish.If i set it 1 turn,it doesn't fire up.if i set the screws at 2.5 turns,it fires up as well.Any other setting don't work.Did i miss anything?

Some of the saws nned the needles open more than you're accustomed. My Wildthing would idle but not run at wot. I opened up the LO needle while squeezing the throttle. When it throttled up well I did the same thing to the Hi needle. Bet the needles were 2-2.5 turns open.
Bob

Some of the saws nned the needles open more than you're accustomed. My Wildthing would idle but not run at wot. I opened up the LO needle while squeezing the throttle. When it throttled up well I did the same thing to the Hi needle. Bet the needles were 2-2.5 turns open.
Bob

I went this morning to a friend of mine who works at a local chainsaw shop.He replaced the diaphragms of the carb and he told me the same thing as you,2 turns for the hi and 2-2.5 for the low.I came home,put the carb on the saw but it never worked.It leaks a lot of black mix out of the exhaust and at full throttle it bog down.I tried many settings,nothing worked.I turn the hi at about 1 turn,it runs at full throttle and no mix from the exhaust but it does not idle.

And something else.The carb has 2 screws,one for hi,one for low.One is shorter from the other.Which one is for low,the shorter one or the longer one?I am asking because i am assuming that maybe i mistook them

Last edited:
Hey, nice 4000. And nicer Beemer too.:msp_smile:

Al.

Thanks! The BMW is the wifey's fun car, fully modded, it was actually on display at the SEMA show in 2007. Since we had our daughter in April, it didn't get driven much this year. I'd post a pick of it, but this is a chainsaw forum, and the hardcore guys may object. Maybe if we have a "post pics of your shop" discussion, I will show it.

Nick

hey nick, nice saw and car but thinking you been posting long enough to learn how to post pix. really ain't that hard. i use philbert's instructions, post no. 37, on the "How to get pictures to show up in the post" thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/support-announcements/160059-3.htm#post3036325

don't mean to bash you but i'm sure you enjoy cruising without having to open pix too. if i can learn how, anyone can.
carry on.

I went this morning to a friend of mine who works at a local chainsaw shop.He replaced the diaphragms of the carb and he told me the same thing as you,2 turns for the hi and 2-2.5 for the low.I came home,put the carb on the saw but it never worked.It leaks a lot of black mix out of the exhaust and at full throttle it bog down.I tried many settings,nothing worked.I turn the hi at about 1 turn,it runs at full throttle and no mix from the exhaust but it does not idle.

And something else.The carb has 2 screws,one for hi,one for low.One is shorter from the other.Which one is for low,the shorter one or the longer one?I am asking because i am assuming that maybe i mistook them

Hey Kostas, if you look at the idle adjust screw (I) is the tapered end touching the lever on the throttle shaft ?

Latest posts

Back