Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our high today was 77F with around 85% humidity. I ran the AC to take some of the humidity out of the house. The temp was OK, but sticky.

Been in the teens here. Respectfully.
images

Does anybody have the stroke on a 3450/3750? I would like to check my math. And they say you will never use the stuff you learn in school - algebra from 25 years ago.

3450= 54 cubic cm or 54000 or cubic mm (converted so all measurements are the same)
radius 23mm ( 46mm bore - I'm seeing 46.5 some places but have measured 3 over the past month and all are 46 )

Here we go - regular volume of cylinder formula :

54000= pi(3.142)x radius sq ( 23 sq)x height (stroke)

therefore 54000 / 3.142 x (23x23) = stroke

54000 / 3.142 x 529

54000/ 1662.118 = 32.48866...mm = 32.5 mm stroke.

Been in the teens here. Respectfully.
images

LOL!

You'll love this:

On Thursday I spent about five hours outside using the mower, line trimmer, & blower. I was wearing steel-toed boots & jeans (for safety because I was whacking some very high grass, hitting a lot hidden small branches) and a short-sleeved t-shirt. I stayed busy enough to stay warm, but it was cool enough that I didn't sweat that much; Thursday was a perfect day to work outdoors.

Does anybody have the stroke on a 3450/3750? I would like to check my math. And they say you will never use the stuff you learn in school - algebra from 25 years ago.

3450= 54 cubic cm or 54000 or cubic mm (converted so all measurements are the same)
radius 23mm ( 46mm bore - I'm seeing 46.5 some places but have measured 3 over the past month and all are 46 )

Here we go - regular volume of cylinder formula :

54000= pi(3.142)x radius sq ( 23 sq)x height (stroke)

therefore 54000 / 3.142 x (23x23) = stroke

54000 / 3.142 x 529

54000/ 1662.118 = 32.48866...mm = 32.5 mm stroke.

The listing I have here says 46mm x 32mm

LOL!

You'll love this:

On Thursday I spent about five hours outside using the mower, line trimmer, & blower. I was wearing steel-toed boots & jeans (for safety because I was whacking some very high grass, hitting a lot hidden small branches) and a short-sleeved t-shirt. I stayed busy enough to stay warm, but it was cool enough that I didn't sweat that much; Thursday was a perfect day to work outdoors.

Sounds great!!! My mower is still tucked away in front of the snow blower.... In a couple months I will be happy when we are consistent in the mid 50's. Just warm enough to were a t-shirt to do outside work and cool enough not too sweat too much.

LOL!

You'll love this:

Well, I just got an extra day off work due to the icy roads.
making-bronx-cheer-smiley-emoticon.gif

The listing I have here says 46mm x 32mm

There was method behind my madness. I may have found an alternative to a the the Poulan 3540 46mm piston which can be hard to find. After researching with the thought of Husky and Poulan being related via Electrolux, a Husky 55 piston might just work. Both saws have the same stroke of 32mm and from what I'm seeing the wrist pin bearings on both are 13mm which makes it compatible with the Poulan connecting rod.

The thing that I can't find is the length of 55 piston cut outs in the skirt length, total length of skirt, the crown to ring measurements and crown to pin. A 1.4 mm less the whole way around the length of the entire skirt and cut outs should be only about 5* change in timing numbers which is negotiable. Anything more will be a problem. If lengths are too long - fix with a Dremel. The crown to center of pin and crown to ring measurement are another story.

There are quite a few on evil bay for less than $15 shipped.

What are your thoughts?

There was method behind my madness. I may have found an alternative to a the the Poulan 3540 46mm piston which can be hard to find. After researching with the thought of Husky and Poulan being related via Electrolux, a Husky 55 piston might just work. Both saws have the same stroke of 32mm and from what I'm seeing the wrist pin bearings on both are 13mm which makes it compatible with the Poulan connecting rod.

The thing that I can't find is the length of 55 piston cut outs in the skirt length, total length of skirt, the crown to ring measurements and crown to pin. A 1.4 mm less the whole way around the length of the entire skirt and cut outs should be only about 5* change in timing numbers which is negotiable. Anything more will be a problem. If lengths are too long - fix with a Dremel. The crown to center of pin and crown to ring measurement are another story.

What are your thoughts?

Buy one...see if it works... :D sorry

Gregg,

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts? I don't know really, as long as OEM is available (which I think these are) then I don't really mess around that much with others.

I think the 3450 used the piston with the cutout on the side for what I call the semi closed port cylinder so I'm not sure the flat side Husky piston is what you want to go with on them. Someone who modifies saws more then I do might be able to give you better advice on those.

I do know at one time, Ed (Arrowhead) and I were discussing piston swaps with those saws before he built the Craftsman with the Stihl top end and we thought the Stihl 290-390 pistons might work on them. They were very close if I remember right but were flat sided pistons and would probably work better in the 335 type cylinders. I know the 290 piston is 46mm and the 390 was 49mm. Don't hold me to it though, I forget stuff..

My other thought is that a $15 piston is probably a POS.. Just sayin.

Back