Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll try to get detailed pics, but yes.
Crankcase is a different color green.
Has the reinforced case front, not the smooth front like the 4200.
Old style tank.
No ID tag
Guessing it was a dealer rebuild.
Maybe Mark can set me straight?

Interesting 5200. The black one screw top cover is kinda of odd one, to me any ways. Never know what might have been changed over the years on these saws, or by dealers. The combination of what I would call early one screw top cover, and thick ribbed front case is what my 4200 has, which I'm pretty sure is original. My early 5200 has a smooth case and green one screw top cover. My later 5200 has thick ribbed case and black three screw cover. I don't think I would swear to anything Poulan might have done or not done over the years. ;) Nothing was set in stone it appears.

poulans583_zpsdee7514b.jpg

4200010.jpg

poulans582_zpsfa594bc6.jpg

Gregg,

Interesting 5200. The black one screw top cover is kinda of odd one, to me any ways. Never know what might have been changed over the years on these saws, or by dealers. The combination of what I would call early one screw top cover, and thick ribbed front case is what my 4200 has, which I'm pretty sure is original. My early 5200 has a smooth case and green one screw top cover. My later 5200 has thick ribbed case and black three screw cover. I don't think I would swear to anything Poulan might have done or not done over the years. ;) Nothing was set in stone it appears.

poulans583_zpsdee7514b.jpg

4200010.jpg

poulans582_zpsfa594bc6.jpg

Gregg,
Excellent looking saw

Got the 2.3 Craftsman back together after a good cleaning and base gasket leak repair. Took the PP 221 apart and cleaned it up. They got carb rebuilds, new fuel lines and filters. Both run good after a bit of tuning in some downed cherry.

20160223_164302.jpg 20160222_144627.jpg

The 4620AV is not looking good.

2016-02-15 14.27.50.jpg 20160223_165757.jpg

Thanks to Echoshawn for the piston to swap into my 4000! Got it swapped and put in a new carb kit, fuel filter and spark plug. Runs good, made a few cuts last night and it cuts good too. Compression is at 140 psi which is pretty good. Super happy with it and now I just need to do some real cutting with it!

20160224_082600_resized.jpg

Thanks to Echoshawn for the piston to swap into my 4000! Got it swapped and put in a new carb kit, fuel filter and spark plug. Runs good, made a few cuts last night and it cuts good too. Compression is at 140 psi which is pretty good. Super happy with it and now I just need to do some real cutting with it!

View attachment 488032

I like it a lot!! And thats coming from some one who has 4 of them!:rolleyes:

Gregg,

Thanks guys, glad I got running the way it should and looking forward to using it this summer! Except Acornhill said now I won't want to use my 3400-3700 saws anymore haha!

And he is right! LOL The 3700 will be close, but not the 3400. A number of years ago I was bucking a large Ash, at about waist/chest height off the ground. Was using a 3400 with 20" bar. I ran out of gas mid cut. Instead of refueling, I just used my new to me 3700 that I brought with me. The difference was very noticeable. Since then I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have used the 3400. LOL

I remember thinking at the time...if the 3700 is better than the 3400...then the 4000 is gonna be even better! The 4000 is my most used/go to saw for most cutting. Unless I get into some big wood or just want to use a larger saw for the fun of it. :D I always thought the 4000 was one of the best looking Poulans made. I liked the air filter setup much better too. I do keep one with a 24" bar on it, but usually I would recemend a 20" for em.

Gregg,

And he is right! LOL The 3700 will be close, but not the 3400. A number of years ago I was bucking a large Ash, at about waist/chest height off the ground. Was using a 3400 with 20" bar. I ran out of gas mid cut. Instead of refueling, I just used my new to me 3700 that I brought with me. The difference was very noticeable. Since then I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have used the 3400. LOL

I remember thinking at the time...if the 3700 is better than the 3400...then the 4000 is gonna be even better! The 4000 is my most used/go to saw for most cutting. Unless I get into some big wood or just want to use a larger saw for the fun of it. :D I always thought the 4000 was one of the best looking Poulans made. I liked the air filter setup much better too. I do keep one with a 24" bar on it, but usually I would recemend a 20" for em.

Gregg,

I'm sure I'll probably be in that same boat as you Gregg! I'm going to run a 20" bar on the 4000 as well.

View attachment 488032
Beast!!!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

.... piston to swap into my 4000! ...
View attachment 488032

Nice machine Nate.
Curious what/how you managed to press the wrist pin out with? I haven't swapped a piston on this series yet, but you never know. Poulan had a special tool, and I have seen versions of other similar ones. Any problems you ran into? Any Redneckery?

Nice machine Nate.
Curious what/how you managed to press the wrist pin out with? I haven't swapped a piston on this series yet, but you never know. Poulan had a special tool, and I have seen versions of other similar ones. Any problems you ran into? Any Redneckery?

Thanks, it's pretty clean! It wasn't easy without the tool, that is for sure. Echoshawn gave me a tip, I used a c clamp with a small socket to push it through and a bigger socket on the back side that the pin could go through. Definitely redneckery. It was just as hard getting the new one back in. Sounds easy enough but it's tough to get the sockets to stay put where you want.

Thanks, it's pretty clean! It wasn't easy without the tool, that is for sure. Echoshawn gave me a tip, I used a c clamp with a small socket to push it through and a bigger socket on the back side that the pin could go through. Definitely redneckery. It was just as hard getting the new one back in. Sounds easy enough but it's tough to get the sockets to stay put where you want.

I like your approach. We call that the "Red Green" method up here.

thDYJC9ZW9.jpg

Back