Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, it's pretty clean! It wasn't easy without the tool, that is for sure. Echoshawn gave me a tip, I used a c clamp with a small socket to push it through and a bigger socket on the back side that the pin could go through. Definitely redneckery. It was just as hard getting the new one back in. Sounds easy enough but it's tough to get the sockets to stay put where you want.

Nate and Echoshawn, if possible I'd appreciate seeing some pics of the device you created to remove the wrist pin. I'm all about Redneckery when needed, and it sounds like you have a good process in use. Fine looking Poulan 4000 by the way. I love those 4000's and would have a ton more if I could find them. My favorite one has a chain brake that my oldest uses sometimes. I just flat out love 'em! Take care, Max.

In case you havn't seen what the Poulan tool looks like..here are couple pics that at least you might get some ideas on what to make.

PoulanPistonTool005.jpg

PoulanPistonTool001.jpg

Gregg,

Good pics and info Gregg! That would have been a lot easier!

lol, I hear ya Nate. I tried all kinds of ways before I had this tool. I used c-clamps, blocks of wood & hammer...not good. I made one quickly one time out of a piece of exhaust pipe. Drilled holes through it and welded a nut onto one of the holes, then used a long bolt. It kinda worked. Not as well as this thing though. This tool has two bushings, or adapters. One for driving the pin, and one for driving the bearing. Works well for removal or install.

Gregg,

lol, I hear ya Nate. I tried all kinds of ways before I had this tool. I used c-clamps, blocks of wood & hammer...not good. I made one quickly one time out of a piece of exhaust pipe. Drilled holes through it and welded a nut onto one of the holes, then used a long bolt. It kinda worked. Not as well as this thing though. This tool has two bushings, or adapters. One for driving the pin, and one for driving the bearing. Works well for removal or install.

Gregg,

I like those ideas too Gregg, it's funny what desperation and a little ingenuity will help you come up with hahaha!

The clamps and sockets worked pretty good, but it was harder getting the new one in that the old one out I'd say. I actually couldn't get the one side of the pin in any further than flush and so it isn't in quite as far as it was originally.

Nate and Echoshawn, if possible I'd appreciate seeing some pics of the device you created to remove the wrist pin. I'm all about Redneckery when needed, and it sounds like you have a good process in use. Fine looking Poulan 4000 by the way. I love those 4000's and would have a ton more if I could find them. My favorite one has a chain brake that my oldest uses sometimes. I just flat out love 'em! Take care, Max.

I do mine the redneck way - a small piece of 4x4 with a 1/2 hole drilled through and an old large philips screw driver (centers real nice in the pin and small enough diameter to go the whole way through the piston) and a hammer- I take one circlip out , turn the saw on the opposite side, place the 4x4 under the piston and give it couple taps.

I do mine the redneck way - a small piece of 4x4 with a 1/2 hole drilled through and an old large philips screw driver (centers real nice in the pin and small enough diameter to go the whole way through the piston) and a hammer- I take one circlip out , turn the saw on the opposite side, place the 4x4 under the piston and give it couple taps.

That probably works well. The 3400-4000 series of saws don't use circlips of any kind. Just a tight pressed fit. It will take more than a few taps with those..:)

Gregg,

That probably works well. The 3400-4000 series of saws don't use circlips of any kind. Just a tight pressed fit. It will take more than a few taps with those..:)

Gregg,
I'm just glad I tried with a 3400 piston the first time.
It didn't end well.
Once they get moving it isn't bad, it's just getting them started

I'm just glad I tried with a 3400 piston the first time.
It didn't end well.
Once they get moving it isn't bad, it's just getting them started

Same thing I did. Started with a bad 3400. Its hard to get things supported properly in order to drive them out, or in for that matter.
Can very easily bend the crank connecting rod. Without the tool..I think the c-clamp routine with sockets and about 3 more hands :eek: is the best chance of success.

Gregg,

Same thing I did. Started with a bad 3400. Its hard to get things supported properly in order to drive them out, or in for that matter.
Can very easily bend the crank connecting rod. Without the tool..I think the c-clamp routine with sockets and about 3 more hands :eek: is the best chance of success.

Gregg,

3 more hands, that's what I was missing hahaha! Very true though.

3 more hands, that's what I was missing hahaha! Very true though.

Speaking of needing more hands. I think these saws (with the tool) is far easier than say the 5200. The bearings rarely if ever go bad on these, and they too are pressed in. They will usually stay put when replacing the pin. Pistons like the 5200 have a bearing, couple washers, along with the piston that needs to be lined up so the pin can pass through, then install the clips.

Here is a pic of my 5200 that I replaced the piston on. I used a steel rod that just slid in to line everything up, so could work the pin in afterwards. lol
This was done in a vise. I would think if done in the saw would have been tougher, don't know. Never did one that way.

5200Piston005.jpg

5200Piston001.jpg

5200Piston003.jpg

Gregg,

Speaking of needing more hands. I think these saws (with the tool) is far easier than say the 5200. The bearings rarely if ever go bad on these, and they too are pressed in. They will usually stay put when replacing the pin. Pistons like the 5200 have a bearing, couple washers, along with the piston that needs to be lined up so the pin can pass through, then install the clips.

Here is a pic of my 5200 that I replaced the piston on. I used a steel rod that just slid in to line everything up, so could work the pin in afterwards. lol
This was done in a vise. I would think if done in the saw would have been tougher, don't know. Never did one that way.

5200Piston005.jpg

5200Piston001.jpg

5200Piston003.jpg

Gregg,

When I swapped a piston on one of my 5200's, I luckily did have an extra set of hands, my brother in law was helping me which made it much easier for sure.

Latest posts

Back