Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ctaftsman 3.7 24" bar. We don't see this model too often, not as common as the 3700/3800 60cc saws. These were based off the PP365 as far as I know. As seen a very low hour one owner saw. And this is not uncommon for the mid to large size craftsman saws. Crazy to think these were homeowner saws compared to the junk offered today. A bit dirty from sitting but should clean up nicelyimage.jpgimage.jpg

ctaftsman 3.7 24" bar. We don't see this model too often, not as common as the 3700/3800 60cc saws. These were based off the PP365 as far as I know. As seen a very low hour one owner saw. And this is not uncommon for the mid to large size craftsman saws. Crazy to think these were homeowner saws compared to the junk offered today. A bit dirty from sitting but should clean up nicelyView attachment 488300View attachment 488308
Never seen a craftsman in that series!
Damn nice score!

ctaftsman 3.7 24" bar. We don't see this model too often, not as common as the 3700/3800 60cc saws. These were based off the PP365 as far as I know. As seen a very low hour one owner saw. And this is not uncommon for the mid to large size craftsman saws. Crazy to think these were homeowner saws compared to the junk offered today. A bit dirty from sitting but should clean up nicelyView attachment 488300View attachment 488308

Very nice Joe, good work! Real clean example too, should be a fun one!

wow that's cool never new they put a 24 on one . so is that 61cc or 66cc?
I think these are 60 on the nose, and the 3700 saws are 61. Yeah 24" replaceable tip. I can't remember if they are Oregon or Windsor branded. The safety chain is gonna disappear fast

Joe, that's a very nice find there! Looks clean and well cared for. How old is the saw? You say this is based on the PP365. That's not the same as the 3450/3750, is it? The lines of the saw are hard to make out for me due to the color, so I can't really tell. How many cc's is it? I'd love to have one like that, and cant wait to see it after you "clean" it up! Max.

When I swapped a piston on one of my 5200's, I luckily did have an extra set of hands, my brother in law was helping me which made it much easier for sure.

If you look in the Poulan repair manual for the 4200 and 5200 it gives instructions on heating the piston dome with a torch and pushing the pin out by hand. Same on reassembly.
It's on page 13
https://app.box.com/s/h96hz5joaqxadisu99es

Joe, that's a very nice find there! Looks clean and well cared for. How old is the saw? You say this is based on the PP365. That's not the same as the 3450/3750, is it? The lines of the saw are hard to make out for me due to the color, so I can't really tell. How many cc's is it? I'd love to have one like that, and cant wait to see it after you "clean" it up! Max.
Yes based off earlier 365, not 3450/3750. It's 60cc 3.7ci. The picture is dark so it's hard to see. I think this saw and the365 were the only ones that use the semi round covers. Unlike the earlier square 2800 stuff and the later 330, 380 3450 saws that had a streamlined look.

Do y'all use heat to help remove the pins? The last time I had to remove a piston (not a Poulan, possibly a small Stihl) I heated it with an old hair dryer. It sure helped when tapping out the pin.
I have used small butane torches to heat the aluminum around a pin on a few engines. A small flame is easy to control in small areas

Joe, that Craftsman isn't one I recall ever seeing on CL or eBay (of course some could've slipped by me). Would you mind posting the Craftsman model #? If not, I understand not wanting everyone to start looking for one ;).

Mentioning a version of the PP365, there's a PP365 listed (it can be found without much effort, but I'm not posting the link) that looks as though there was a leak between the jug & muffler. Is this a common problem with that model?

Joe, that Craftsman isn't one I recall ever seeing on CL or eBay (of course some could've slipped by me). Would you mind posting the Craftsman model #? If not, I understand not wanting everyone to start looking for one ;).

Mentioning a version of the PP365, there's a PP365 listed (it can be found without much effort, but I'm not posting the link) that looks as though there was a leak between the jug & muffler. Is this a common problem with that model?

I'll list the mod/ser when I get home from work. As far as ex. leaks, I have 2 365s and a bunch of other saws in that series that use a similar or same muffler and I haven't had any issues. I'd be willing to bet the leak on that saw was caused by the gasket only threaded through one of the muffler bolts leaving the other side dropped. This would make for a good leak. Loose bolts would too but that seems too obvious

I'll list the mod/ser when I get home from work. As far as ex. leaks, I have 2 365s and a bunch of other saws in that series that use a similar or same muffler and I haven't had any issues. I'd be willing to be the leak on that saw was caused by the gasket only threaded through one of the muffler bolts leaving the other side dropped. This would make for a good leak. Loose bolts would too but that seems too obvious

Thanks!

Speaking of needing more hands. I think these saws (with the tool) is far easier than say the 5200. The bearings rarely if ever go bad on these, and they too are pressed in. They will usually stay put when replacing the pin. Pistons like the 5200 have a bearing, couple washers, along with the piston that needs to be lined up so the pin can pass through, then install the clips.

Here is a pic of my 5200 that I replaced the piston on. I used a steel rod that just slid in to line everything up, so could work the pin in afterwards. lol
This was done in a vise. I would think if done in the saw would have been tougher, don't know. Never did one that way.

5200Piston005.jpg

5200Piston001.jpg

5200Piston003.jpg

Gregg,
When I replaced the piston on my 3400, the bench vice was my press, you still have to have four hands.

Steve

Here is a time line for the saws l-r
335, 3.7, 365, and 330.
You can see the differences in the intake and covers. I think only the 3.7 and 365 have their style covers and were not used on any other models. The 3450, 3750, 330, 380 and the bad boy saws all used the same style. The recoils changed as well. Two different carbs...image.jpg

Back