Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Vermont and found that my 4000 has a loose intake manifold. Removed the cylinder hex bolts but found that the right rear one is rounded off. Guess it was like that when I picked it up. Any ideas? Wonder if I can force a metric 5 mm T handle Allen wrench on it to get it loose. Someone suggested putting JB weld onto the 3/16 t handle let it harden and remove it. I have my doubts it would hold. It's in such a tight spot that options are limited.

For the amount of work it takes, I would remove the cylinder. The factory thread locker that Poulan used on the carb adapters holds quite tight so you may just further damage the fastener head. If you damage the head of the screw further you will end up pulling the cylinder anyway. I don't suppose you brought your ring compressor with you?

For the amount of work it takes, I would remove the cylinder. The factory thread locker that Poulan used on the carb adapters holds quite tight so you may just further damage the fastener after ahead. If you damage the head of the screw further you will end up pulling the cylinder anyway. I don't suppose you brought your ring compressor with you?

Got cylinder off after some work. Likely will get a new cylinder bolt or one close to it in length. However to my surprise look what
Bob I Had same issue on one of mine. Luckily, wasn't stripped. I can't remember how much room there was. Could you use a Dremel cutoff wheel and make a slot for a common screwdriver?

Well after a little work I removed the cylinder bolt and look what I found. Plan to use it ßI have no choice. No ring compressor here so I'll try using my fingers or a tie wrap.

Attachments

• IMG_20160228_143438025_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160228_143438025_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
Got cylinder off after some work. Likely will get a new cylinder bolt or one close to it in length. However to my surprise look what

Well after a little work I removed the cylinder bolt and look what I found. Plan to use it ßI have no choice. No ring compressor here so I'll try using my fingers or a tie wrap.

Careful with the length on that cylinder bolt. The repair manual warns not to use one longer than 7/8".

Recently acquired a Poulan 3500 and would like to get a carry case for it. My question is did Poulan make cases that are green?

Did some noodling with 525 today. A beast
ae7edcf73795f6ead6132fdc5f0c531b.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Recently acquired a Poulan 3500 and would like to get a carry case for it. My question is did Poulan make cases that are green?

I've only seen black Poulan and Craftsman cases, never any green ones. Homelite made some red, blue, and black cases. McCulloch made their famous yellow cases especially for the smaller saws. Stihl made orange cases, as did Husqvarna. Let us know what you learn, I'd love to see a green case if they're out there. Max.

The only Poulan-green Poulan cases I've seen were for their small top-handle saws. And that's just photos.

Edit--Oops, didn't see Pogo's post. Yellow-green is a good description. In the photos they didn't appear to be quite as bright as the Poulan green saw paint.

M
Bob, what caused that, an improperly sized spark plug? Good luck with your repairs, Max.

That's from a flat ended cylinder stop, and the reason why a piece of rope is better LOL

I doubt it will ever cause a problem, unless you can see cracks on inside of the dome

Is it a dent from a piston stop? Maybe the previous owner was banging on wrench with a hammer to get things loose or turning things in the wrong direction.

Is it a dent from a piston stop? Maybe the previous owner was banging on wrench with a hammer to get things loose or turning things in the wrong direction.[/QUOTE that makes sense. Think I need rings. Was practicing installing cylinder w/o a ring compressor and found that I can slip cylinder on w/o compressing the rings at all.

Metal piston stop did that.

Use your fingers and a Popsicle stick on the rings.

Latest posts

Back