Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I SHOULD be ok, but I'll keep in mind, btw, any signs of crank bearings going bad? I want to know if mine ever go bad.

any one know the numbers for a craftsman 3.7/3700 poulan starter pawls.... i have a saw that keeps breaking one and chewing up the plastic pulley....2nd time its happened..... also worst case if its all nla i take it 3400 and all other versions will work ....great saws wish parts were more available....thanks for any info .....here is my latest eye candy....

The pawls are set to the flywheel with splined pins. Much like a wheel stud on a car. They can be driven out but it's not likely you will find the pawls as they were not sold separately from the flywheel. No PN is available for the pawls. I suspect yours are the 3400 type on the Craftsman rather than the 3700 type.
Make sure you have the the pawl spring in the right flywheel fin so it doesn't drop down too soon.
You can help the situation by pulling about 4" of stater rope out when you shut the saw off and letting it in when the pawls hit the pulley.

The pawls are set to the flywheel with splined pins. Much like a wheel stud on a car. They can be driven out but it's not likely you will find the pawls as they were not sold separately from the flywheel. No PN is available for the pawls. I suspect yours are the 3400 type on the Craftsman rather than the 3700 type.
Make sure you have the the pawl spring in the right flywheel fin so it doesn't drop down too soon.
You can help the situation by pulling about 4" of stater rope out when you shut the saw off and letting it in when the pawls hit the pulley.

looks like this but red paint

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 17
The attached file you posted is of the 3400 style starter with the plastic gear. Like fossil said pull the rope out some then shut it down it wont be so hard on starter components.some saws you can shut off without fear of breakage I.e. stihl single paw systems. but the countervibes slam back pretty hard when you shut em down.

I promised myself no more buying saws unless I found a running 5200 or 5400. Well I just came across TWO running Poulan 5200s! One with a 28" bar and the other with a 26" bar!

Nate told me about those, and I almost choked...
I was hoping they'd hang around another week so I could gather them up.
I hate losing saws from under my nose! Great score, and you suck!

Nate told me about those, and I almost choked...
I was hoping they'd hang around another week so I could gather them up.
I hate losing saws from under my nose! Great score, and you suck!

They should arrive this Friday. I'll let y'all know once I break into them and see what I have

463c20fa2a4e489f54a95e065a864de8.jpg
59aa6d71028bb5294d8947fa36fc4ea2.jpg

With all the 4000s on here, this is my latest one.
Came as part of the 3 saw deal Nate mentioned.
3 complete saws (2 3400s and this 4000) for $50.
I replaced the starter rope, fuel line. And rear handle on this. Runs perfect!

What year did they have the adjustable? Did the craftman colored saw have them at some point?

Hey anyone running a pro 475 stock with the limited coil? I was toying with the new one I bought doing some tuning in the wood. got it just about perfect then when I reved it out of the wood it seemed lean. then I went ahead and ran the screw in to see where I was and it was only out about 3/4 turn out from zero. Does that seem to lean of a setting? I set it at 1 turn and it's way to rich, like pig fat rich. Granted I am running avgas which requires a leaner setting than pump gas. however that being said, what say yee?

Just scored a Pro 405, don't even know what size it is. $40CAD which is about $5 USD it seems. OK I just looked it up and it's 65cc, pretty dirty so we will see if it's all there shortly

Wow just popped the muffler and I'm a happy camper!! Hopefully it will have spark! Yes Damn it has spark! I don't think the de-comp is working have to look into that.

Also got a straight shaft Echo strimmer that runs for a further $40.00 in the same deal.

Back