Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todd,I know it's not the case halves,I haven't had the saw apart & it didn't leak previously.It also can't be the oil cap because I had the saw on the clutch side when I filled it.It leaked on the clutch side somewhere which points to a missing gasket,or the pump body is cracked.I've got another pump here if the pump is shot.Now I gotta pull the freakin' pump again.There's nothing I klike better than pulling things apart 2 or 3 times.

Its new to me and 30 plus years old. It came in the mail and when I opened it up I made a call and found out that it was a gift from someone who had found it in a bunch of stuff from a old Poulan dealership.
The kits were made by Sunbelt and they are a rechromed cylinder and a aftermarket piston. I'm guessing that they had a in with a dealership that had bad cylinders and that is what they were made from.
Just really excited to have this kit and very thankful for the gift.
It would be so cool if we could buy kits like this. Doesn't seem like you could sell enough to offset the investment of lots of $$$$$$

The only thing wrong with the kit is the piston and the way the skirt is cut for the ports. The opening at the bottom isn't big enough and blocks part of the port opening. Look at the pictures and see what I did to the original piston, it has a bigger cutout on one side.20220531_191623.jpg20190224_165641-1280x720.jpg

Since I was out of oil I put a mixture of oil & kerosene in the 3400 to see where it was leaking from & I got my answer pronto.It came pouring out of the discharge opening on the bar pad.I'm wondering if the discharge hose never went into that passage?I checked with Buford on the price of the gaskets.$8 for one & $5 for the other,ridiculous,& that was supposedly 2000 prices.

Its new to me and 30 plus years old. It came in the mail and when I opened it up I made a call and found out that it was a gift from someone who had found it in a bunch of stuff from a old Poulan dealership.
The kits were made by Sunbelt and they are a rechromed cylinder and a aftermarket piston. I'm guessing that they had a in with a dealership that had bad cylinders and that is what they were made from.
Just really excited to have this kit and very thankful for the gift.
It would be so cool if we could buy kits like this. Doesn't seem like you could sell enough to offset the investment of lots of $$$$$$
Like sunbelt rental company? Who rents equipment.

The only thing wrong with the kit is the piston and the way the skirt is cut for the ports. The opening at the bottom isn't big enough and blocks part of the port opening. Look at the pictures and see what I did to the original piston, it has a bigger cutout on one side.View attachment 992582View attachment 992583

With a name like Sunbelt, it probably was Chinesium…😆

I picked a kit up a few years ago, white box was marked 3400. It’s actually a 3700 sized chrome bore with thick ringed piston. It does runs well though.

Attachments

• 482DB8F1-6CBC-4C74-B489-3864ADBDEE0B.jpeg
    482DB8F1-6CBC-4C74-B489-3864ADBDEE0B.jpeg
    14 KB · Views: 0
Todd, That is exact same kit that I come by back in 2012 or so. Mark kinda confirmed it was a Sunbelt kit, You end up with a 88cc saw as a result. I personally couldnt tell any difference. But thats just me. I noticed the cut out on piston also, that was different from stock, but left it alone. Curious to know what difference would be with an alteration. Im not gonna pull mine apart to find out. LOL It runs fine the way it is.

5200 P&C 006.jpg5200 Piston 019.jpg

Gregg,

Todd,I know it's not the case halves,I haven't had the saw apart & it didn't leak previously.It also can't be the oil cap because I had the saw on the clutch side when I filled it.It leaked on the clutch side somewhere which points to a missing gasket,or the pump body is cracked.I've got another pump here if the pump is shot.Now I gotta pull the freakin' pump again.There's nothing I klike better than pulling things apart 2 or 3 times.
It could be that it's leaking from the oil tank vent. There's a hole behind the bar pad that should have a cotter in it. The hole wears over time form the pin vibrating. You could always stick a tighter cotter pin in the hole if that's the leak point.

20220602_104523[1].jpg

20220602_081016.jpg
I like that fix. I've been trying to figure out the 3400 pulley fix besides upgrading to a 4000 flywheel. Bound to be a husqvarna pulley that would work.
The fix for the 3400 is what I did a few years ago when you could get the 4000 pulley.
You can cut the Dawgs back with a little taper and you have a working saw
The part sticking up is around. 150 thousands

Ohio i didn't see that it made any more power than stock on the one I did years ago and it was a. 060 over. The new one i just got is. 035 over.
I'm guessing that they were going around a getting straight gassed cylinders and boring them out till they cleaned up then chrome them. They probably did the 30 over and the 60 over and had rings for each. Piston was probably turned to fit.

Latest posts

Back