NJ License required?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastbub

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am trying to research all the ins and outs of starting a small tree service in NJ and was hoping you guys could help me with this one.......On a NJ Arborist site I viewed a link for a proposed bill requiring some sort of state licensure for tree companies. This appears to be different from ISA certification. For any of you NJ guys, has this bill passed? What are the requirements to have a tree company? I am referring to removals, cabling, pruning, but no spraying or fertilizing. Thanks in advance.:cheers:

Ok to edit this I just read bill S1199 sponsored by Senator Singer, it states there are currently no requirements by the state. I don't believe this bill has passed, but the new bill calls for a degree in arborculture and work experience along with ISA cert. in order to perform tree care. What does this mean for people who are already in the biz for a while but don't have that type of education? Do other states have similar licensing requirements?

Last edited:
Yeah hopefully the bill passes through to get rid of the hack work. Mostly it will hurt the little guys. All the big companies either have and ISA CA or a NJ certified tree expert. My suggestion to you would be get the cert now and just watch what happens with the bill.

On another note what part of Jersey you from?

Yeah working on getting certified now. I am probably going to work for somebody else for a while but I do have an eye on starting my own company. I am from the Hopewell/Princetonish area by the way. How about you?

How about STUMP GRINDING

Is this going to hurt guys who just go around and grind stumps. I have a friend who doesn't want to mess with trees he just does stumps. He does pretty good to for just working on the weekends and mornings. He has a full time job. Just wanted to know. Thanks for any replys Tony:hmm3grin2orange: :help: :help:

I must have seen you around then fast. I do all of my work in the Princeton area. Was with Woodwinds now at Savatree. Debating the partnership/ contractor idea a bit. Best of luck to you.

Me personally I'd rather give the stumps away. Buddy of mine runs a stump grinding business just himself and does pretty good. Too boring for me I like hard work.

Climb020 said:
I must have seen you around then fast. I do all of my work in the Princeton area. Was with Woodwinds now at Savatree. Debating the partnership/ contractor idea a bit. Best of luck to you.

Me personally I'd rather give the stumps away. Buddy of mine runs a stump grinding business just himself and does pretty good. Too boring for me I like hard work.

Is empire tree/tree tech still in princeton?

Yeah I seem them guys about once a week or so. They ride around in red trucks so it is kinda hard to miss them.

Latest posts

Back