No chipper?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have used a grapple loader on a truck and i have to tell you it saves a ton of time. Sometimes we just grab the tree and i will cut it at the base and pick up the whole tree in one chunk. Set it to the side . Then i will cut 3/4 through some of the biggerbranches so it will fold together. THis way there is hardly any raking that needs to be done either. This works so fast it makes you look like a bandit. Not really though. I always burn all my brush.

the downside of the truck , is you cant always get that truck where it needs to be.

Last edited:
About 10 years ago a looging company was cutting pulpwood in our area. They were paying about $4 a ton so we let them cut a ditchbank that we did not want to clear. They had a semi trailer chipper. It was as big as the big tub grinders but was a conventional style. They used feller bunchers to drop the smaller trees and skidders to drag in the large trees. The largest was a 60" hollow cottonwood. Yes they chipped it. I wish I had a video camera. They one thing I rember was them feeding about a 24" tree in whole. It got stuck and a guy sawed the limbs just as he finished one cut the other side let go pulling the whole tree in. I am sure he darn near crapped his shorts.

Bill

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Visualize a months worth of brush to chip....:blob2:

Remind me to call in sick that day.

Good to hear thoughts on this part of tree work. Climbing is just a part. Getting rid of bodies is just as important.

I worked for a company that had 2 - 2 man crews in minivans that climbed/pruned then dragging the brush to the curb. Then the loader w/1 employee drove around cleaning up after the 2 crews.

You can fit a lot of brush and logs on when crushing with the grapple.

Yellow Dog - ever seen Eggemeyer Tree Service out of Yoakum? Impressive operation with a Bandit Beast recycler.

TreeTex,

Never heard of Eggemeyer but I am familiar with Beast. They are too big and heavy for most of what I do but believe me, if I could afford one, I would find work for it. They weight about 36k lbs. for the lightest one and that's a big footprint in the woods. If I had one, I would set up a compost yard and a place where people can bring their stumps for recycling during burn bans.
The way the laws are written, it won't be long before outdoor burning is a real pain in the back side anyway, That's why I have worked hard to get a foot into the recycling business. I also have my thoughts on the progression of oak wilt and the need for large scale tree removal and stump shredding.

Anyway, the grapple truck operation seems like a must have for working in areas where you don't have time or don't want the noise of chipping..

Latest posts

Back