No metal in this tree....just a plow!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Van

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm on the tractor leaving the woods by a route I'd never been on and stopped dead to stare at this - ????? There's this old steel 2 bottom trailer plow hanging in a tree. I'm about blown away by this sight- who, what, when & why? I have no idea - I expected to see an old timer with a straw hat & pitchfork watching me ---- :dizzy: :dizzy:
plow.jpg

Is it possible the tree hoisted the plow as it grew?

I found an old eastern red cedar in one of my fencerows that ate a metal t-post and a strand of barbed wire many years ago. It looks kinda funny now.

Does it look like it was hung there or stuck on the tree as it grew? Cool pic too.:clap:

Well I did learn at least one thing in biology class last semester, here is a quick excerpt of how trees grow.

Trees grow in height as a result of meristems that are located at their branch tips. These meristems are called apical meristems. Roots also expand through the soil by growing at their tips as a result of apical meristems. All buds that you see on a tree contain apical meristems. Trunk diameter growth occurs as a result of another meristem already mentioned called the vascular cambium. The vascular cambium produces new xylem and phloem each year and as a result the trunk, branches and roots continue to increase in diameter. Have you ever seen a fence wire or board grown into a tree?
That is the result of the vascular cambium. The fence wire or board doesn't rise into the air because height growth doesn't occur out of the ground, it only occurs from the branch tips.

So, the plow had to be placed in its current position.

Well I did learn at least one thing in biology class last semester, here is a quick excerpt of how trees grow.

Trees grow in height as a result of meristems that are located at their branch tips. These meristems are called apical meristems. Roots also expand through the soil by growing at their tips as a result of apical meristems. All buds that you see on a tree contain apical meristems. Trunk diameter growth occurs as a result of another meristem already mentioned called the vascular cambium. The vascular cambium produces new xylem and phloem each year and as a result the trunk, branches and roots continue to increase in diameter. Have you ever seen a fence wire or board grown into a tree?
That is the result of the vascular cambium. The fence wire or board doesn't rise into the air because height growth doesn't occur out of the ground, it only occurs from the branch tips.

That's interesting.

Had more time today, stopped for a better look. The tree is an Ash, about 14" dia. It's looking like most of the Ash around here, dying. What looked like chainlinks yesterday is actually the springs on the trip hitch. It's hung over that limb. The plow is an International Harvester.
plow2.jpg

There is a park on the west side of Hwy 71 south of Audubon IA that has a old 1 bottom horse plow in a tree. This occurred over WW2. I saw it as a boy in the 80's. From what I understand today you can not hardly see the plow, the tree has almost completely encompassed it.

Don

Unless it happened to be chained to a branch at a lower level to make sure that no one wandered off with it. and the tree grew there.. just a postulation. by the way, watch out for the vasculare cambium... i hear they can get some varicose veins

Latest posts

Back