No More Heating With Firewood In New York?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idk I still think if you don't lock them up and put them on a pedestal they are less appealing to kids. No one is going to the garage and grabbing the framing nailer, x27, chainsaws, hilti gun, and so on to kill people. I grew up in the same town and went to the same school as Timothy McVey and have yet to make a bomb or blow up a building and I too hate this government. Stop banning stuff and start educating kids in school about real life. There's no power or money in that so it won't happen.
I agree that children should be taught to safely handle and respect firearms. I don’t know that I’d agree with you about leaving firearms laying about. There is a difference between guns and framing nailers. I also believe that is your decision but I believe that if someone gets injured or killed with your firearms then it is on you and there should be consequences. Not sure what your McVay reference has to do with anything.

Finally getting cold here at the cabin again. Was 24 degrees F today. I use supplemental wood heating, mostly for the beauty and warmth (also for the opportunity to cut and split firewood). I lived in Colorado for 22 years and loved it, but unfortunately the Berkeley Birkenstocks have taken it over, at least on the Eastern slope. The frontier independence is gone, replaced by those who feel the need to make others conform to their ideas and lifestyles. I would have a hard time now living anywhere but rural Red State America. You can burn wood, use loud chainsaws, and even pop off a few rounds on your property without anyone getting their undies in a wad. When I hear gunshots, I think of deer, varmints, or sighting in, not gang members.
Thank goodness for Wyo.

I agree that children should be taught to safely handle and respect firearms. I don’t know that I’d agree with you about leaving firearms laying about. There is a difference between guns and framing nailers. I also believe that is your decision but I believe that if someone gets injured or killed with your firearms then it is on you and there should be consequences. Not sure what your McVay reference has to do with anything.
Alec Baldwin said the gun did it and its not his fault. My gun my fault? Not so sure on that one. And for the McVeigh reference it didn't mean anything to us kids but now a days it would be some bs tiktok challenge. No one in the community thought it was cool but we grew up before the internet and online gaming and social media.

I run my whole house on solar panels I own. I don't have a furnace. I have a King Oak in the basement when I am in the mood to get my house toasty or if the power shuts off - otherwise I heat it with electric. The panels were $28K and I get that I can afford them, but the tax break helped pay for 20K of it just like the massive tax break for oil and electric companies keeps them afloat. (ETM Solarworks if you are in the NY/PA border area are great. There are a lot of Solar Charlatans out there) ) Now I have no electric bill above $17.50 in fees. I would prefer to be off grid but I have to save for that battery and they only last ten years so I am holding off until they are better. Until then being "on the grid" - like you most certainly already are unless you use torches, is not the end of the world. You are right. The world is not ready to get off carbon emissions, as was shown by this latest joke of a climate convention. The container ships are a huge example but they keep everyone too busy fighting over nonsense like masks and vaccine chips, so "they" can continue being ultra rich at the planet's and tax payers' expense. They don't want to control you other than distracting you with nonsense, and it is working. As Old CB said, try reading the entire law. It is written by lawyers and painful to read, so most people do not read the entire laws - therefore any #@(*$& can come along and say it says something it doesn't because no one has time to read that stuff. I usually go and read the law when there is a controversy about it but I had to much work to do to bother with this one.

Alec Baldwin said the gun did it and its not his fault. My gun my fault? Not so sure on that one. And for the McVeigh reference it didn't mean anything to us kids but now a days it would be some bs tiktok challenge. No one in the community thought it was cool but we grew up before the internet and online gaming and social media.
You want to tell me leaving your guns around is the way to go? Great. But if one of your childrens friends gets ahold of one and accidentally or intentionally shoots someone, who’s fault is it? Did Baldwin murder someone? No but by letting functioning firearms on the set with live ammo and then allowing people to handle guns in unsafe manner where gun safety rules will intentionally be broken then I do believe he is in some regards criminally responsible. I love nothing better than letting the grand kids handle and learn all about my guns. Love taking them target shooting. If they want to handle one of the guns they only have to ask. If they do get hold of one they do know what they can do and how they can safely handle them. I don’t leave my guns laying around. Another point of responsibility you probably won’t agree with, “hurting accidents”. I don’t believe in them. I’ve been hunting for over forty years. You go out in the woods and “accidentally” shot another person, on you. Know your target. Know the backstop. Can’t accept the responsibility, don’t go in the woods and shoot things.
Sorry for the thread drift. The guns thing does tie into NY burning laws a little but not much. More than willing to continue the discussion in a more appropriate thread ( point me at it) or via pm. Not here though.

You want to tell me leaving your guns around is the way to go? Great. But if one of your childrens friends gets ahold of one and accidentally or intentionally shoots someone, who’s fault is it? Did Baldwin murder someone? No but by letting functioning firearms on the set with live ammo and then allowing people to handle guns in unsafe manner where gun safety rules will intentionally be broken then I do believe he is in some regards criminally responsible. I love nothing better than letting the grand kids handle and learn all about my guns. Love taking them target shooting. If they want to handle one of the guns they only have to ask. If they do get hold of one they do know what they can do and how they can safely handle them. I don’t leave my guns laying around. Another point of responsibility you probably won’t agree with, “hurting accidents”. I don’t believe in them. I’ve been hunting for over forty years. You go out in the woods and “accidentally” shot another person, on you. Know your target. Know the backstop. Can’t accept the responsibility, don’t go in the woods and shoot things.
Sorry for the thread drift. The guns thing does tie into NY burning laws a little but not much. More than willing to continue the discussion in a more appropriate thread ( point me at it) or via pm. Not here though.
My parents met at an ammo factory in 1966. Firearms have been a part of my life since before I could walk or talk. I don't have any friends that aren't shooters- notice I didn't use the generic term "gun owners". When did gun safes become common? Because I can tell you, I lived half my life among serious shooters before I met someone that owned one. At best there was a wood cabinet with a glass front and a $2 lock. Guns were stored in racks, in closets, under beds, in dresser drawers or if you had a hardcore gun crank, in the "gun room"- ie a spare bedroom/den. My best buddy growing up, his dad was a serious gun crank- guy had probably 250 guns, back in the 80's...they were mostly military rifles from the World Wars. There were at least three registered machine guns in there as I recall....They sat in the "parlor" on wooden revolving racks- row after row of them.

As a kid growing up I had a rifle rack in my room- I made it as a 4H woodworking project- got a blue ribbon for it too.....It held 4 firearms and the drawer at the bottom was full of ammo. I frequently carried a .22 rifle in my car on the way to school- buddies and I would go hunting on our way home. Hunters Ed was taught in the math class room of the middle school- I have pictures of 12 year old kids shooting .22's (shorts, into a pellet trap) in the Math Classroom- in the yearbook! This was not an uncommon thing by any means in this country and there were no serious problems with it.

I now have over 2,500 hours of professional instruction in firearms use and marksmanship, from some of the finest shooters and instructors this nation has ever produced- guys from CAG, the Seals, Marsoc, 8541's, Ground Branch, various SWAT Teams and Federal LE Agencies.....There are 4 Rules to Firearms Safety, they must be adhered to- 1. Know the condition of your weapon at all times (Notice I didn't say "all guns are always loaded") 2. Don't point weapons at things you aren't willing to destroy 3. Don't put your finger on the trigger until you've made the decision to fire 4. Know your target and background. Anything other than that is BS. It's not "firearms safety" it's PEOPLE MANAGEMENT. Maybe if people don't want irresponsible kids having access to guns- they should RAISE RESPONSIBLE KIDS? That might have benefits even beyond firearms safety- raising kids that were decent, responsible, functional, moral, human beings....The "safe storage" thing is essentially admitting failure, it's a cop out in my opinion- "I can't control my kids or my home etc...so everything needs to be locked up". That's BS.

As far as hunting "accidents"- see rule 4.

Where in Colorado were you living? I have 35 acres right outside the city limits of Loveland and I can do all those things you mentioned.
I was in Lakewood with a home on the side of Green Mountain. I was a staff physician at what was then Lutheran Medical Center in Wheat Ridge in the Denver metro area. We had fire restrictions at times due to changes in Denver air quality, but the restrictions were not that bad at the time. I came back south to care for my very elderly father, not for political issues. My comments were based on observations over my years there and changes since then.

They use those in hospitals, nurses ID badges and readers above patient doors, in the halls, at the nursing station, at the pyxis station, etc. etc. That's to track the nurses to make sure they are doing their jobs and their locations. Same thing with sensors in patient's beds so if they get out of bed it alerts the staff to check on them so they don't fall and sue. Those are not injected. But if you want a conspiracy theory read about Bio nanotechnology.

My parents met at an ammo factory in 1966. Firearms have been a part of my life since before I could walk or talk. I don't have any friends that aren't shooters- notice I didn't use the generic term "gun owners". When did gun safes become common? Because I can tell you, I lived half my life among serious shooters before I met someone that owned one. At best there was a wood cabinet with a glass front and a $2 lock. Guns were stored in racks, in closets, under beds, in dresser drawers or if you had a hardcore gun crank, in the "gun room"- ie a spare bedroom/den. My best buddy growing up, his dad was a serious gun crank- guy had probably 250 guns, back in the 80's...they were mostly military rifles from the World Wars. There were at least three registered machine guns in there as I recall....They sat in the "parlor" on wooden revolving racks- row after row of them.

As a kid growing up I had a rifle rack in my room- I made it as a 4H woodworking project- got a blue ribbon for it too.....It held 4 firearms and the drawer at the bottom was full of ammo. I frequently carried a .22 rifle in my car on the way to school- buddies and I would go hunting on our way home. Hunters Ed was taught in the math class room of the middle school- I have pictures of 12 year old kids shooting .22's (shorts, into a pellet trap) in the Math Classroom- in the yearbook! This was not an uncommon thing by any means in this country and there were no serious problems with it.

I now have over 2,500 hours of professional instruction in firearms use and marksmanship, from some of the finest shooters and instructors this nation has ever produced- guys from CAG, the Seals, Marsoc, 8541's, Ground Branch, various SWAT Teams and Federal LE Agencies.....There are 4 Rules to Firearms Safety, they must be adhered to- 1. Know the condition of your weapon at all times (Notice I didn't say "all guns are always loaded") 2. Don't point weapons at things you aren't willing to destroy 3. Don't put your finger on the trigger until you've made the decision to fire 4. Know your target and background. Anything other than that is BS. It's not "firearms safety" it's PEOPLE MANAGEMENT. Maybe if people don't want irresponsible kids having access to guns- they should RAISE RESPONSIBLE KIDS? That might have benefits even beyond firearms safety- raising kids that were decent, responsible, functional, moral, human beings....The "safe storage" thing is essentially admitting failure, it's a cop out in my opinion- "I can't control my kids or my home etc...so everything needs to be locked up". That's BS.

As far as hunting "accidents"- see rule 4.
I don’t see where we disagree on much except your reluctance to take responsibility for what happens with your firearms. We did lots of things forty or fifty years ago that were , in retrospect not to bright. So be it. You are confident that your kids won’t do something stupid with your guns and neither will their friends, great. So what’s the problem with accepting responsibility for the consequences of your decisions? I’m all about choice and responsibility. Make your choice. Accept responsibility. Back to wood burning, people want to run their OWB on garbage to the point whole neighborhoods are blanketed in smoke and then wonder why others in the community push back. Choice, accept consequences. Not advocating against guns, heating with wood or anything else. I have guns, heat with wood. I hate government overreach.
(As far as responding here as I said I wouldn’t, I figure if we are discussing tracking chips in Covid vaccine then the thread is FUBAR already)

I don’t see where we disagree on much except your reluctance to take responsibility for what happens with your firearms. We did lots of things forty or fifty years ago that were , in retrospect not to bright. So be it. You are confident that your kids won’t do something stupid with your guns and neither will their friends, great.
I think the best reason for keeping guns locked up is to keep thieves from allowing those guns to get into the hands of career criminals where chances are good that they will be used to rob and kill people. I have heard it said that 80% of guns used in crimes are stolen.

I think the best reason for keeping guns locked up is to keep thieves from allowing those guns to get into the hands of career criminals where chances are good that they will be used to rob and kill people. I have heard it said that 80% of guns used in crimes are stolen.

I think there are many things that are fine as personal decisions. Decisions based on a personal balancing of risks and rewards.... I'm opposed to any form of government mandates for things like seat belts, firearms storage, gasoline storage (I know you guys love CARB gas cans...).....They all start out as "reasonable safety measures" etc... and then before you know it, people are getting thrown in jail for not Complying with what morphs into THE LAW.

I oppose at every step the advance of government reach into our everyday lives. We have seen where that leads recently....."15 days to bend the curve" "Wear a mask" "Get the shot".....Then we closed a bunch of businesses for a year (some forever), put people in jail for refusing to wear a mask and fired people for not getting a shot. Go take a look at Australia right now to see where it leads, or ultimately, China for that matter. There are plenty of other examples but that's one that everyone can immediately relate to, the history is pretty fresh in our minds...No thanks.

They use those in hospitals, nurses ID badges and readers above patient doors, in the halls, at the nursing station, at the pyxis station, etc. etc. That's to track the nurses to make sure they are doing their jobs and their locations. Same thing with sensors in patient's beds so if they get out of bed it alerts the staff to check on them so they don't fall and sue. Those are not injected. But if you want a conspiracy theory read about Bio nanotechnology.
And under the skin of animals to track their whereabouts and who they belong to.

I have most of mine locked up. But when it comes to thieves breaking into my house at night the locked up gun in the basement does me no good when I'm in bed. And in NY getting a pistol permit is tough especially if you made a few poor choices as a teenager. The other reason I have a gun around is to control predators. There was a period where several raccoons were wondering around during the day and not afraid of people or my kids. One wondered into my garage. I get it its a gun but the ones I have registered with the state because they are "assault weapons" are locked up and loaded. You don't dare have an assault weapon stolen in this state you probably will end up in jail.

Well. I may add more fuel to the fire.

Well thats the thing it's my land and my wood until they change that. If I have to drive to PA to get a new wood furnace so be it. Im an hvac installer and wood heat is my main source of heat... That was one of the reasons I bought the house knowing that I can heat with wood and not just lp. Every year tons of people go to pa for fireworks because they are not legal here but yet the police do not enforce the fireworks. Kind of like they don't enforce the safe act in my county and rural area where i live. I hear plenty of people letting 30+ rounds fly all the time.

Also how is a cat stove not ok? Cars have to have catalytic converters. The video made me wonder that.

My prediction, this won’t amount to squat. Some vague wording and long term pseudo goals slapped together by our disgraced ex-governor, probably while forcing some poor aide to give him a lap dance.

Would be just like this state to pull some nonsense like this while every commonly found ash tree in the northeast is dead or dying. Nice enough firewood, wtf else are they gonna do with it? Illegal to transport it further than 50 miles.

Back