No More Logger's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redprospector

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I went to a contractor's meeting Tuesday that the State Forestry, Forest Service, and BLM put on. It was very enlightening.:rolleyes: I learned that they would like us to quit calling ourselves LOGGER'S, and start calling ourselves "Forest Restoration Experts". :dizzy:
I asked if they realized that they were talking to a bunch of old loggers, who have never been, or ever wanted to be politically correct.
After all, a logger by any other name is still a logger.

Actually, other than stupid stuff like this, it was a pretty good meeting.

Andy

hey red are YOU a pro tree killer!!!!!!!!!!:dizzy: in the days of pc I can't ....no it hurts to much to say............

I went to a contractor's meeting Tuesday that the State Forestry, Forest Service, and BLM put on. It was very enlightening.:rolleyes: I learned that they would like us to quit calling ourselves LOGGER'S, and start calling ourselves "Forest Restoration Experts". :dizzy:
I asked if they realized that they were talking to a bunch of old loggers, who have never been, or ever wanted to be politically correct.
After all, a logger by any other name is still a logger.

Actually, other than stupid stuff like this, it was a pretty good meeting.

Andy

A garbage man is now called a recycling engineer. They were able to demand wadge increases but still do the same thing.

I would take on a title like Forest Engineer for the extra money:wave:

:monkey:

some people take themselves way too seriously.

logger's it'll be until the day i die.

keep on how you been, andy :clap:

We always had a joke around here when people asked me what i did for a living i'd always say that im a "Fiber Acquisition Technician." But then id always tell em after they couldent figure it out that im a logger.

A friend of mine calls thinnings Forest Enhancements when talking to the sensitive people.

Clearcuts are called Regeneration Cuts.

Logger is easy to spell. That's a good thing. :)

No, No, No!

Something more modest would be more appropriate....

How about...

Forest Abatement and Renewal Trainee

Hahaha. I like that one. My dad called me a FART till the day he died.
I think technitian would be a better word for the T. It's harder to spell, and it makes you look like you know what you're doing.

Andy

Last edited:
A garbage man is now called a recycling engineer. They were able to demand wadge increases but still do the same thing.

I would take on a title like Forest Engineer for the extra money:wave:

Well, that seems to be part of the problem.
We can no longer be loggers, but must transform ourselves into sensitive, caring individuals who do this job simply for the love of the environment. There is no extra money! They were even talking about lowering the cap's on thinning projects. More for less, that's the outlook.

Andy

Reminds me of the college I graduated from. SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry. They want to take out the "Forestry" part and replace it with some BS natural resource thing, funny the school was founded on Forestry! oooh well just a bunch of Demo *cough*'s

i dont know about you guys, but im a gravity tester. every so often i cut a tree off the stump and see if it falls down. if it does, all is right with the world. if it doesnt, im supposed to call................i forget.

titles

a title means nothing. i am pretty handy on a drill rig, an excavator, cat, or puttin in a undercut,while drilling a well for a customer last week, he had the audacity to call me a boring engineer,like water on a ducks back, sometimes you just have to laugh and keep workin.stay safe, dan.

a title means nothing. i am pretty handy on a drill rig, an excavator, cat, or puttin in a undercut,while drilling a well for a customer last week, he had the audacity to call me a boring engineer,like water on a ducks back, sometimes you just have to laugh and keep workin.stay safe, dan.

Yes, engineering is boring if you are not Spock like.
I have a variation of logger that I use with environmental groups who are the ones who should be renamed. I call the loggers SNAiLs for Sensitive New Age Loggers. A SNAiL, even though he thinks it is stupid, costs him more time and money, and whines a bit about it (justified) will go the extra mile to try to make the logging look or turn out well so the environmental or should I just call them mental? people might just be a little bit happier. They are seldom happy.:(

Last edited:
Yes, engineering is boring if you are not Spock like.
I have a variation of logger that I use with environmental groups who are the ones who should be renamed. I call the loggers SNAiLs for Sensitive New Age Loggers. A SNAiL, even though he thinks it is stupid, costs him more time and money, and whines a bit about it (justified) will go the extra mile to try to make the logging look or turn out well so the environmental or should I just call them mental? people might just be a little bit happier. They are seldom happy.:(

Logger...the word is logger. Why should we have to change what we call ourselves to suit the misguided whims of a few people who don't really know anything about our world?

It's not funny anymore.

All this cutsie-pie labeling and eco-friendly catch phrase stuff just shows that we're willing to change who and what we are just to get along. We shouldn't have to do that.

The enviros and the socially sensitive government people can call it any damn thing they want. It's still logging.

And I'm still a logger.

Last edited:
I brace for what people will come into logging next. I hope they take as much pride in their work as the ones in my family that taught me have. My parent's dinning room looks like an old logging museum, old misery whips, oil bottles, axes, and pictures of my Great Grandad, Grandpa, Dad, Uncles, Me and some others.

Growing up going to work with Dad as a kid, learning to cut with a 655 poulan with no chain brake, landscaping my parent's place with a D-4 crawler, Making trips to camp 18 and the Redwoods, pulling over and hiking to big trees hiden of main roads and everyone talking about the woods at Thanksgiving is what I grew up with. It's more of a way of life than anything. That's what I think of when I hear the term "Logger". I can't imagine what's next with a new mentality. More important, I wonder what my generation will bring to the table. I see a lot of spoiled soft kids working for their old man doing the minimum and a lot of crying. The men in my family who taught me would settle for nothing short of your best, toughest, effort. I take pride in being an "Old School" type of cutter. Be smart in your moves, grind it out, and take some pride in your work. I have worked with a few younger guys that think that being a good faller is just dumping a bunch of wood and walking away from it not concerned with saving the volume, bucking good logs, or doing things right. I was taught that getting it down is only part of the game. I strive to carry on my family's good work ethic, mental and physical toughness, and the smarts to live another day. Anything less and I would get an ass chewin'.

Last edited:
Logger...the word is logger. Why should we have to change what we call ourselves to suit the misguided whims of a few people who don't really know anything about our world?

It's not funny anymore.

All this cutsie-pie labeling and eco-friendly catch phrase stuff just shows that we're willing to change who and what we are just to get along. We shouldn't have to do that.

The enviros and the socially sensitive govenment people can call it any damn thing they want. It's still logging.

And I'm still a logger.

Yes, and on the other tree hugging site where they hate me, somebody will start a thread warning that Logging Is Going To Happen. Apparently that always is bad to them, and means clearcutting, which isn't bad but is to them, is going to be the method used, and deforestation will occur.

Even locally, folks who are not involved in woods work will shudder about an area being logged.

Why is logging always equated with being bad?

I start by questioning the complainer as to HOW is it going to be logged? They usually can't answer this question. So, we've got people who don't know what they are talking about, informing others, which makes for
The Circle Of BS and I'll still mention Sensitive New Age Logging and anything else to try to keep the trees hitting the ground. That's the important thing to remember, keep the trees hitting the ground. :)

Back