No more pant'n

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I finally got fed up with my rope jumping out of my Pantin with every other step so I made a keeper for it which allows it to close but restricts the opening so the rope can't jump out.
It consists of two leather straps connected with a snap so I can still release the rope when I reach my destination.
No, it isn't rated or approved by anyone but me and it works!
Maybe some day they'll get around to fixing it.

Sorry you are having problems with your Pantin, Kevin. It took me a few days to figure out that I needed to keep my steps smooth and in line with the rope to keep the rope from jumping out of the Pantin. But that also forced me to become smoother and more efficient with my ascents. If the rope is still jumping out on you then you might not be using it in an efficient manner. Perhaps you might need to unlearn your current method and relearn using a smoother, straighter step.
When I get tired and start flailing around with my legs, I put my left toes on top of my right foot so I'm using both feet to ascend. That also helps me keep my feet square to the rope and in line. Then the rope doesn't come out of the Pantin.

Brian;
I've tried it every which way but loose.
It's more of a problem with the heavier ropes like kernmantle.
Now I can use it either way, restricted or unrestricted, the option is mine.

Yesterday was the first time I used my pantin in 2 weeks. During the first ascent it came unclipped a few times, I had to rememeber to take smaller steps until I got 15 or more feet in the air so the tail would self feed easier. The next two ascents went better.

How does your clip work?

-Mike-

I'll try and get a picture of it tomorrow.
One strap is a piece of suede riveted to the hole in the cam and another leather strap which has a slot for one of the nylon straps.
The two pieces of leather are joined with a snap that makes it a snap to disable.

I've seen several people use the Pantin and they don't have it positioned right on thier ankle. Getting it just under your ankle bone helps to keep it fair to the rope. Better to be a little low.

Have you tried clipping a biner into the hole next to the cam? That keeps the cam from opening up.

Tom

Tom,
I thought of the biner but concluded it would be too bulky and uncomfortable.
With a quick snap I don't have to give it another thought, the rope is locked in and I can take some decent strides with the tool.

Nicely done! That's an excellent modification.

I see that you have a pop rivet holding the end in the cam. What is that attached to? I don't have mine to look at.

Let us know how the leather holds up. I would use a bit of webbing and hot cut the slots. Seat belt would work for the wider piece.

Keep it up!

Tom

Thanks Tom;
There is a hole in the cam already.
I didn't alter the original design in any way.

Pantin

I just purchased a Pantin and was wondering: It is necessary to use a handled ascender as well? Is it possible to ascend effeciently without handled ascender, using only Pantin and Distal? Was hoping for some input before I actually put it to use on the job. Thanks

I wear my Pantin on almost every trim, but only use the handled ascender for SRT ascents.
The pantin is simply one more tool with many plusses and almost no minuses. When you are not using it, you don't even know you have it on. But when you need to hump 20' up the rope it is very easy to hook it on the tail of your lifeline for an assist.

Brad;
I just use the distal and the pantin.
I would consider an ascender for rec climbing but I don't bother with it when working a tree.

Last edited:
jblimbwalker

What rope system are you using to ascend?

You asked about a distal/Pantin combo. Are you using this in a closed, traditional climbing system? Are you using this for an SRT ascent?

If you're using this combo for SRT you should go back in the archives and read up on the various threads about backing up ascenders. I can't see any good reasons for not backing up ascenders.

I think you already know that the Pantin is not considered a point of attachement.

Tom

Originally posted by Tom Dunlap
jblimbwalker

What rope system are you using to ascend?

You asked about a distal/Pantin combo. Are you using this in a closed, traditional climbing system? Are you using this for an SRT ascent?

Tom
Thanks Tom, Kevin and Treeclimber165 for your input. Yes, I will be using distal/Pantin for closed climbing system. I was just curious as to the functionability of the Pantin without a handled ascender, whether it be SRT, or traditional. I wasn't sure if the Pantin had to be used in conjunction with a handled ascender in order to work efficiently.

Over the last few days my Pantin has been working hard. I did a big one yesterday, about 60-70 ft (long climb for the work I normally do) SRT, with a pantin, handled ascender and a distal at my waist. That pantin is a life saver!!!
That is a really slick looking mod to keep the rope in the pantin, good work!! I like that I can get it out very easily, and have only had a problem with it coming off a few times since the first couple of days when I was getting used to it. I find that I like it better moved forward and at the top of my ankel bone.
I've been doing a lot of SRT lately, it makes me a much faster climber.

--I've heard of "easy bars" (like mar bars) that screw or somehow connect to a regular ascender, anyone know how much and where I can get them??
Thanks!
Greg

At first I used my handled ascender for all ascents, now I've figured out that it's only necessary for me while making an SRT ascent. W/ the traditional loop it is easy to just hold on w/ my hands and not have to carry the extra biner loop runner and ascender.

Arboristsite costs $$$$$$$

Reading these threads gets me thinking, now I have to buy a pantin and use it with my kong double ascender on srt, instead of footlocking the doubled rope. Distal self feeds with micro pully on my belt and acts as a backup. Simple but effective, and kong lets me use both arms to pull up on as i climb. When will it end.

Corey

Latest posts

Back