No Red Elm left in Knasas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtie

Gearhead
Reaction score
Been told a hundred times there is no Red Elm left in Kansas. Uh Huh...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Damn my proofreading...

We cut this stuff up today and started walking the woods and discovered that what we have been thinking for years was that it was American elm live growing is actually red elm. What we cut today was dead red elm, but there is LOTS still healthy and alive, and a lot dead as well for us firewooders.

Red Elm is one of the best burning wood there is.

That looks like what we call American Elm around here. White elm is much whiter and true Red Elm is very dark. Quite a few shades darker than what you have there. Dead Red Elm around here is about the shade of dried blood. I haven't seen a live Red Elm in years.

That looks like what we call American Elm around here. White elm is much whiter and true Red Elm is very dark. Quite a few shades darker than what you have there. Dead Red Elm around here is about the shade of dried blood. I haven't seen a live Red Elm in years.

This is very dark pink to almost blood red in some places. American elm is white to light tan. American elm cuts easy and will rot in a few years if not used. This stuff cuts so hard it reminds me of dried hedge, but it obviously is not.

I cut this stuff on land my family owns and my uncle said this tree has been hung up leaned over a lot of years.

I pushed down 3 dead Red Elms last spring with the D6R. 20" DBH. Fencerow trees, nothing nice. Short with a lot of crotches and branches. Cut them up and hauled them home today. But wouldn't you know it, just put a newly sharpened chain on the 361 and D#%n, WIRE ! Got about 2 cords of wood in the stack tonight and 2 chains that need sharpened again.:bang:

I pushed down 3 dead Red Elms last spring with the D6R. 20" DBH. Fencerow trees, nothing nice. Short with a lot of crotches and branches. Cut them up and hauled them home today. But wouldn't you know it, just put a newly sharpened chain on the 361 and D#%n, WIRE ! Got about 2 cords of wood in the stack tonight and 2 chains that need sharpened again.:bang:

Yeah, I came within 2 inches of cutting into a 5/8" steel woven cable from an old dam project. I have been on the bad side of that one many times...

Red elm in these parts looks quite a bit like that thar elm ya go thar.

When you can get a decent log of it over 12" diameter, it sure makes nice lumber and some tough floor boards. Put a clear coat on it and its just to purty to let the dog in.

I'll be burning some soon, that I cut earlier this year, out in between Leon and Beaumont,... Next to Hedge and Locust, it's my 3rd favorite to burn, followed by Mulberry and Blackjack Oak. Nice score!

We cut this stuff south of Belleville off 81 highway. There is a LOT more of it left too.

I still have some red elm trees on our farm in Jackson Co. Deep red heartwood. and I agree w/ coog, no comparison in splitting ease compared to American Elm, or Chinese elm for that matter. All elm is good firewood when seasoned properly.

What surprises me is that there are a lot of them still alive and growing in the stand where we cut this stuff. I thought it was american elm until we cut loose a couple low branches on different trees around the area and saw what the heartwood looked like. Definetly not american or chinese elm. i know exactly how those look and cut. This stuff was so hard to cut I thought I dulled a new chain at first.

Ohhh, I love standing dead red elm, one of my favs to cut, split and burn..nice score. Still have abunch around here. Live ones too.
Here"s one that was standing dead for 15 years, finally blew down and I got her!

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=1897185&postcount=1

Nice pic Greenthorn! Looks just like what we worked up yesterday. We didnt leave a scrap of that stuff laying around. Even the twigs saved for kindling. The ones we located and cut were standing dead and leaned over as well for many years.

I brought in two cords of red elm this year from blow downs. The heartwood is almost blood red when first split. Fabulous firewood when dry.

Unfortunately, Dutch Elm disease did a number on it years ago and it doesn't seem to be gaining strength in numbers. However, a few old proud red elm trees still grow in Nebraska. :rock:

Last edited:
Back