No Sympathy For Orphans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2dogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
None. I finally did the great purge. I got rid of all my orphan gloves. Almost all were left hand gloves. No I don't know why that is. Gotta call Madsen's for more gloves.

Cody and I are just finishing up the annual 6 week flood control/vegetation management project here and we went through a ton of cotton rigging gloves and a few leather gloves. We (the crew) burned through at least 4 chainsaw bars till we finally use only hard nose Duromatic bars. We also used 50' of Stihl chain and 10 sprockets and 2 brushcutter blades. I have 4 empty 5 gallon Stihl Bio Plus buckets in the driveway at $100.00 each!

None. I finally did the great purge. I got rid of all my orphan gloves. Almost all were left hand gloves. No I don't know why that is. Gotta call Madsen's for more gloves.

Oh man, tell me you didn't do that! I just tossed a bunch of orphan right handers. Probably a years worth. They were mostly White Ox with a few of the Bailey's Work Safe, too. Most of them were pretty good, hardly any duct tape around the finger holes at all. All the stains were dry and I'm pretty sure there was nothing communicable on them.

I always wear holes in the left hand glove first and when there's not enough to d-tape to anymore I toss them. I can't seem to bring myself to throw away a fairly good right hand glove...so they go in a box. With the other right hand gloves.

My Dad lost his right arm when he was 8 years old. When I got big enough to work I started supplying him with left gloves. After I got big enough that his size glove fit me, it was a pretty good deal for us both. He died in 06, so I have a box full of left gloves (almost like a memorial :laugh:) I think of the "old man" every time I toss another lefty in the box.

Andy

I'd just like to find gloves that fit and don't have holes in em, I wear the righty out loggin and the lefty out in the forge so it balances out, Just have giant lunch hooks so it hard to find gloves that don't cramp my thumb

You do some smithing or shoeing?

No shoeing, never been around horses to much, Mostly make knives and add ball home decorations for the wife, as well as fixing/making broken equipment that is to old to find parts for. Don't do as much as I would like though, its very time consuming and between working 40-50 hours Machining and the rest of the time gypo logging makes it hard to find time for hobbys

Sweet! used to do a little myself. My dad was a member of the NWBA. Just dinked around never made anything real serious lol

Ahh, the old "bastard glove" dilemma. You guys know I don't work a whole helluva lot so it's not a matter of wearing out it's just a matter of losing (almost always) the left glove

Back